U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the best skyline?
Atlanta 31 4.45%
Dallas 34 4.88%
Houston 37 5.31%
Miami 26 3.73%
New York 214 30.70%
Boston 11 1.58%
Philadelphia 31 4.45%
Pittsburgh 23 3.30%
Chicago 206 29.56%
San Francisco 27 3.87%
Los Angeles 24 3.44%
Seattle 33 4.73%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Nob Hill, San Francisco, CA
2,346 posts, read 3,379,938 times
Reputation: 1080

Advertisements

Chicago's skyline goes along the lake for 11 miles and at its widest point in the loop its about one mile in width but quickly drops down to two or three blocks wide as it continuous to follow the lake. NYC also has a skyline that sprawls for 11 miles from Lower Manhattan to the northern tip of Manhattan but the difference is that the width remains near 2 miles wide the entire stretch on the island. I think on 14th Street its the widest point at 2.5 miles and the skyline goes from eastern shore to western shore. Both skylines length of 11 miles is comparable but the width is absolutely in NYC's favor, 2 miles the entire island vs what starts off as 1.5 miles in the loop quickly becomes narrower and just a couple of blocks in Chicago.

These pictures from wikipedia will show you the difference

Chicago
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...go_skyline.jpg


Manhattan North
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tobre_2008.jpg


Manhattan South
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hattanNYC.jpeg

Last edited by scrantiX; 09-12-2012 at 11:27 AM..

 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM
 
425 posts, read 285,428 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
And this statement confirms to me you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about.

There are dozens of 1000+ buildings planned or u/c in NYC, and nothing major planned or u/c in Chicago.

There is no city on earth with dozens of 1000 ft.+ buildings currently, so yes, it could be the greatest highrise building boom in world history.

There are only two towers u/c over 1,000 feet not counting 1WTC in NYC. Thats One57 and 432 Park.

The other towers you mention have been stalled for years and are part of Hudson Yards.

3WTC is not going past 10 floors until they secure more tenants.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:16 AM
 
425 posts, read 285,428 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Chicago's skyline goes along the lake for 11 miles and at its widest point in the loop its about one mile in width but quickly drops down to two or three blocks wide as it continuous to follow the lake. NYC also has a skyline that sprawls for 11 miles from Lowe Manhattan to the northern tip of Manhattan but the different is that the width remains near 2 miles wide the entire stretch on the island. I think on 14th Street its the widest point at 2.5 miles and the skyline goes from eastern shore to western shore. Both skylines length of 11 miles is comparable but the width is absolutely in NYC's favor, 2 miles the entire island vs what starts off as 1.5 miles in the loop quickly becomes narrower and just a couple of blocks in Chicago.

These pictures from wikipedia will show you the difference

Chicago
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...go_skyline.jpg


NYC
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tobre_2008.jpg

From the Near South Side to Rogers Park, its about 15 miles.


Spare me the pictures. I lived in NYC and have seen the skyline from almost every angle. I dont need a sermon on the width, length, etc.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 AM
 
65 posts, read 65,331 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
There are only two towers u/c over 1,000 feet not counting 1WTC in NYC. Thats One57 and 432 Park.

The other towers you mention have been stalled for years and are part of Hudson Yards.

3WTC is not going past 10 floors until they secure more tenants.
I said there are dozens planned or u/c, which is true. Nothing you said contradicts this.

3 WTC can't go more than 10 floors for roughly one year, because of mechanicals. It has nothing to do with tenants at this point.

Yes, there are currently "only" four u/c (as you admit), but there are dozens in total planned (and a few already financed and work has begun, such as Related at Hudson Yards).

In contrast, there is absolutely nothing planned or u/c in Chicago that would be remotely comparable.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:24 AM
 
65 posts, read 65,331 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Chicago's skyline goes along the lake for 11 miles and at its widest point in the loop its about one mile in width but quickly drops down to two or three blocks wide as it continuous to follow the lake. NYC also has a skyline that sprawls for 11 miles from Lowe Manhattan to the northern tip of Manhattan but the different is that the width remains near 2 miles wide the entire stretch on the island. I think on 14th Street its the widest point at 2.5 miles and the skyline goes from eastern shore to western shore. Both skylines length of 11 miles is comparable but the width is absolutely in NYC's favor, 2 miles the entire island vs what starts off as 1.5 miles in the loop quickly becomes narrower and just a couple of blocks in Chicago.

These pictures from wikipedia will show you the difference

Chicago
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...go_skyline.jpg


Manhattan North
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...tobre_2008.jpg


Manhattan South
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hattanNYC.jpeg
This is exactly my point! There is no comparison whatsoever.

You are comparing one block-length in Chicago with many miles across in NYC, yet both areas have similar density of highrises (though obviously in NYC under far, far greater land coverage)
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:27 AM
 
65 posts, read 65,331 times
Reputation: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by resuelppA View Post
When someone thinks of the New York skyline, they think of Manhattan.

Also, Midtown being "far more impressive" is debatable. I think the Downtown Manhattan and Chicago skyline is better.

Keep reading your cliche statements from your NYC tourism book.
You can think whatever you want. You can think that Walla Walla has the best skyline.

But my original point (which you can't contest) is that no city has a comparable skyline in terms of size, diversity, and history. No city comes anywhere close.

Your personal preference is fine. You can say that Gallup, New Mexico has a greater skyline than Hong Kong and NYC combined. I'm talking quantifiable metrics, not personal opinion. There is no point to debating personal opinion.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
 
425 posts, read 285,428 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Both skylines length of 11 miles is comparable but the width is absolutely in NYC's favor, 2 miles the entire island vs what starts off as 1.5 miles in the loop quickly becomes narrower and just a couple of blocks in Chicago.

Skylines are linear so im not sure what the internal width of 1-2.5 miles has to do with anything.


To me, the best part of the NYC skyline is from Jersey, from the tip of downtown all the way to uptown, which is about 10 miles. The view from Queens isnt half as impressive.

In comparison to that Jersey view, the Chicago skyline when viewed from the lake, stretches nearly 15 miles from the Near South Side to Rogers Park.


If we're talking specific areas, the layout of Chicago is superior. Even the layout of downtown Manhattan is superior to Midtown, IMO.

Midtown is just mass plateau of buildings from about Bryant Park to 59th, and the spires and antennas on the NYT, BOA and Conde Nast dont make it any more appealing. You need peaks, and balance. The best part of Midtown is the space between the ESB and the rest.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:30 AM
 
425 posts, read 285,428 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
I said there are dozens planned or u/c, which is true. Nothing you said contradicts this.

3 WTC can't go more than 10 floors for roughly one year, because of mechanicals. It has nothing to do with tenants at this point.

Yes, there are currently "only" four u/c (as you admit), but there are dozens in total planned (and a few already financed and work has begun, such as Related at Hudson Yards).

In contrast, there is absolutely nothing planned or u/c in Chicago that would be remotely comparable.

My point was you would never see a Chicago Spire like building in NYC because of zoning and red tape.

If they were to do anything resembling it, theyd built it to a certain height over precaution and say "lets put a cute spire on top" to make it achieve the desired height instead.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:31 AM
 
425 posts, read 285,428 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
This is exactly my point! There is no comparison whatsoever.

You are comparing one block-length in Chicago with many miles across in NYC, yet both areas have similar density of highrises (though obviously in NYC under far, far greater land coverage)

Again.


What in the hell does this have to do with a linear view of a skyline?


We arent talking density.
 
Old 09-12-2012, 11:35 AM
 
425 posts, read 285,428 times
Reputation: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
You can think whatever you want. You can think that Walla Walla has the best skyline.

But my original point (which you can't contest) is that no city has a comparable skyline in terms of size, diversity, and history. No city comes anywhere close.

Your personal preference is fine. You can say that Gallup, New Mexico has a greater skyline than Hong Kong and NYC combined. I'm talking quantifiable metrics, not personal opinion. There is no point to debating personal opinion.

Cant contest?

180 people have contested it.

My eyes contest it.

No city comes anywhere close? The city (yes, thats right, not metro! good job, you seem to have finally comprehended that minor yet significant point) thats 1/4th the size yet half the size in skyscraper number, sure does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top