U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the best skyline?
Atlanta 31 4.45%
Dallas 34 4.88%
Houston 37 5.31%
Miami 26 3.73%
New York 214 30.70%
Boston 11 1.58%
Philadelphia 31 4.45%
Pittsburgh 23 3.30%
Chicago 206 29.56%
San Francisco 27 3.87%
Los Angeles 24 3.44%
Seattle 33 4.73%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM

2,426 posts, read 3,462,504 times

Advertisements

For me top 5:

1. Chicago
2. NYC
3. Seattle
4. Miami
5. Houston

I give the edge to Chicago for 1 reason: Chicago showcases it's skyscrapers better. NYC probably has more impressive skyscrapers in raw numbers, but because of it's tight and dense layout it's not as easy to see the beauty of these skyscrapers. Chicago because it's downtown isn't so tight it in a way "showcases" its skyscrapers. Just look at Wacker Drive, it's basically telling you "Look at ME!".

Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranecom View Post
I'm surprised Chicago is getting so many votes. I guess people like the aesthetic arrangement along the lake? I can understand that "best" skyline doesn't mean "biggest" skyline, but it's still a little strange, IMO.

Because NYC has a much, much bigger, grander skyline. It's many, many times bigger and more prominent. There's absolutely no comparison whatsoever between the two. One is gigantic compared to the other.
It's not always about quanitity, more about quantity.

Have you seen Sao Paulo's skyline? It's probably 10x Chicago and 2x NYC it's humongous, but low in quality. But just because of it's sheer size that doesn't make it better. I don't see how it's strange really.

IMO NYC has A LOT of beautiful buildings and A LOT of ugly buildings, and there are so many of each and they are spaghetted together, that it feels overwhelming and a lot of the beauty gets lost. Chicago's skyline "showcases" it's buildings much more. Just take a walk down Wacker Drive and it says everything.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:12 AM

6,215 posts, read 8,367,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post

Have you seen Sao Paulo's skyline? It's probably 10x Chicago and 2x NYC it's humongous, but low in quality. But just because of it's sheer size that doesn't make it better. I don't see how it's strange really.

IMO NYC has A LOT of beautiful buildings and A LOT of ugly buildings, and there are so many of each and they are spaghetted together, that it feels overwhelming and a lot of the beauty gets lost. Chicago's skyline "showcases" it's buildings much more. Just take a walk down Wacker Drive and it says everything.
Agreed! ^

Old 11-08-2012, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 6,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I guess, and I can't really argue with subjective opinions.

To me, the NYC skyline has a lot more quality than the Chicago skyline (far more famous and iconic towers, and just general better quality, with more prewar, more limestone, more newer starchitecture, etc.).

NYC skyline is much bigger and grander than that of Chicago. It's nothing like Sao Paulo, which is a sea of random 20-floor super-ugly commieblock style buildings.

That said, it's all subjective. One could vote for any city. I just find it odd that so many people are voting for Chicago, though it could just be homerism or whatever.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:

To me, the NYC skyline has a lot more quality than the Chicago skyline (far more famous and iconic towers, and just general better quality, with more prewar, more limestone, more newer starchitecture, etc.).

NYC skyline is much bigger and grander than that of Chicago. It's nothing like Sao Paulo, which is a sea of random 20-floor super-ugly commieblock style buildings.

That said, it's all subjective. One could vote for any city. I just find it odd that so many people are voting for Chicago, though it could just be homerism or whatever.
I I am not saying that NYC doesn't have more quality skyscrapers than Chicago. I am just saying that a lot of NYC's gems, get lost in the sea of buildings. Where in Chicago's it's showcased.

This is how I see it:

NYC is if you took a gorgeous model and threw her in a group of 100 people all standing at the same height she would get lost in the crowd.

Chicago to me is if you took a gorgeous model and threw her in a group of 50 people and put her on a podium above everyone else.

NYC's skyline is very pretty, but I think a lot of it's beauty gets lost because there are so many buildings and also the sheer number of ugly buildings it has. Let's admit, while NYC has tons of beautiful buildings it also has just as many ugly ones. To that you have to give credit to Chicago. Either it's skyscrapers are beautiful or just ok. You don't see very many buildings in downtown that look ugly.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,923,517 times
Quote:

It's not homerism per se, it just looks beautiful. So does New York, but its size is also its achilles heal and it's hard to capture everything from one vantage point. New York has amazing architecture as well, but don't discount Chicago's, as Chicago is world-famous for theirs too. Just because NYC is getting tested on one comparison doesn't mean that the world is out for you guys or that Chicago homers are raiding these threads.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:30 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,923,517 times
I'm actually curious who's been voting for anything OTHER than Chicago or New York, especially Atlanta or Dallas!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:21 AM

You don't seem to understand.

The thread is asking for people personal opinions, so it's not something that can be measured. No one is saying that NYC's comes second to Chicago because of it's size. What they are saying is that a lot of it's beauty get's lost in the crowd of buildings. NYC's buildings are spaghett'd together, it's mish mash of beautiful, ok and ugly buildings.

Chicago's buildings are not spaghett'd together. It is more planned and it's a mish mash of beautiful and ok buildings.

Let's just put it this way, the way Chicago's buildings come together is more artistic and planned out. They way NYC's come together is kind of just thrown in together with not as much thought.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 AM

6,215 posts, read 8,367,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I'm actually curious who's been voting for anything OTHER than Chicago or New York, especially Atlanta or Dallas!
I'm with you, Atalanta and Dalls both have very unimpressive skylines compared with Chicago and New York. I suppose people may be more partial to their cities if they live there, but let's be honest, there are less than 10 cities in this country with a truly magnificent skyline.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM

2,363 posts, read 4,259,614 times
Of the top 5 listed my favotire would be.

1. Chicago
2. L.A.
3. Miami
4. Seattle
5. Houston

the chicago guy made a good point about NY's skyline having beauty taken away with buildings lost within buildings. It just does nothing for me. I've never been a fan of NY skyline w/o the two towers anyay. To me Chicago has more unique buildings that stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or