U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which U.S. city has the best skyline?
Atlanta 31 4.45%
Dallas 34 4.88%
Houston 37 5.31%
Miami 26 3.73%
New York 214 30.70%
Boston 11 1.58%
Philadelphia 31 4.45%
Pittsburgh 23 3.30%
Chicago 206 29.56%
San Francisco 27 3.87%
Los Angeles 24 3.44%
Seattle 33 4.73%
Voters: 697. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,105,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranecom View Post
You're talking a few blocks on one street. I really don't get it.

I have a feeling that most commenters here have never been to either city and are making comments based on internet pics.

It boggles the mind that people think the Chicago skyline is dominated by prewar buildings moreso than NYC. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in either city would know this is an absurd comment.
I'm not sure about the pre-war buildings as I haven't spend a lot of time in both cities, but I have been to both and prefer the layout of Chicago. I might even like San Francisco's skyline more than New York City's. NYC's is incredible and the vastness of the highrises is like nothing else in the US, but IMO doesn't make for a very attractive or organized skyline (my favorite view would have to be facing Lower Manhattan / Battery Park, or maybe at an angle that shows Lower Manhattan, the dip in height, and then Midtown).

Old 11-17-2012, 08:05 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,559,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranecom View Post
You're talking a few blocks on one street. I really don't get it.

I have a feeling that most commenters here have never been to either city and are making comments based on internet pics.

It boggles the mind that people think the Chicago skyline is dominated by prewar buildings moreso than NYC. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in either city would know this is an absurd comment.
There is a big different between the visible skyline, i.e. what you see from the side, than what the city contains walking around which I'm sure NYC has more of practically every style than Chicago. If you are looking at Chicago from the east, as most people generally do for the skyline views, you see the front facing buildings as rather old. This isn't an architecture battle, it's a "skyline" battle, meaning what you can see once you are outside the contained mass of buildings looking back at it. I was just in NYC this summer and viewed the skyline several times from West from JC, SE from Brooklyn Heights promenade, East side from Queens while driving, Brooklyn while driving, and even north from the Cloisters driving south all the way down to Battery Park, from inside Central Park, in addition to my friends apartment in Grenwich Village and from the highline, which offered some different angles. Chicago has better skyline angles to me b/c you can get direct fullon views from many points on the lake, as well as coming in from the west side and south sides of the city, not sure why that is so hard to believe. Chicago skyline is also very linear, though not as wide as Manhattan, but when looking at the skyline you don't really see the depth.

Last edited by grapico; 11-17-2012 at 08:17 PM..
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or