Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fort Bend County (suburban Houston) vs Gwinnett County (suburban Atlanta)
Fort Bend County 21 44.68%
Gwinnett County 26 55.32%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 01:12 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Not that many people know the counties inside New York City. Does anyone know that Brooklyn is coterminous with Kings County, Manhattan with New York County, Staten Island with Richmond County. The only well known county in the area is Westchester County due to early TV shows set in the suburbs.

The only well-known county in Greater Los Angeles is Orange County (which gets confused with the chopper show that is actually in the county near NYC) (San Buena)ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties is not well-known outside of California and the Nevada border towns. Los Angeles County itself is lumped in as "L.A." (city).
Yep, pretty much everything you said here is correct. Although, I will say, Dade County is pretty famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:35 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Read this about a town in Fort Bend County:
Tiny town of Fulshear gets ready as Houston sprawl nears | Fort Bend County | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 01-15-2011, 12:57 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
lol, its funny that the people in Fulshear refer to Houston as an urban concrete jungle, and some A holes on City Data want to call it suburban becase the people are not tripping over themselves like they do in the Northeast

Old 01-15-2011, 03:17 PM

864 posts, read 1,123,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, its funny that the people in Fulshear refer to Houston as an urban concrete jungle, and some A holes on City Data want to call it suburban becase the people are not tripping over themselves like they do in the Northeast
lol, IKR.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:29 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
"Gwinnett is Great" I've heard Success lives there. hehe

Old 01-16-2011, 07:08 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
Well to be honest I don't know a whole lot about Fort Bend County, but I do know alot about Gwinnett County.

I think topics like this are hard, because there will be very few people that are experts in both places.

I do want to make a quick note at one or two things that are different between the counties in the stats... and a comment or two on how that affects them.

Fort Bend County is almost double the land area as Gwinnett Co. It also has a smaller population. Most of it's growth appears to be radial out of Houston for it's economic/residential drivers.

In contrast Gwinnett's growth is going to be a little bit older, but it also has economic driver's from two directions. One is the city of Atlanta to the southwest, but the other is the north metro Atlanta, which it is apart of and extending further west. (About half of Metro Atlanta is to the northside of town outside of the perimeter/intown areas)

If you doubled the land size of Gwinnett County leading out from the city it's currently population would be closer to 1m-1.1m people instead of 800,000 for a more apples to oranges comparison.

In many respects they are probably similar, but I think Gwinnett's growth is a couple of decades ahead of Fort Bend's and/or closer to the core metropolitan growth.

I didn't readily find any current employment numbers for Fort Bend... I really don't care to spend much time into figuring it out either... if there are any Fort Bend boosters who know off hand...

By the starting numbers and its growth age... I would think southern Hall County and Forsyth Co. might be more similar. (just keep in mind for comparisons GA counties are tiny in land area)

Old 01-16-2011, 07:11 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Well to be honest I don't know a whole lot about Fort Bend County, but I do know alot about Gwinnett County.

I think topics like this are hard, because there will be very few people that are experts in both places.

I do want to make a quick note at one or two things that are different between the counties in the stats... and a comment or two on how that affects them.

Fort Bend County is almost double the land area as Gwinnett Co. It also has a smaller population. Most of it's growth appears to be radial out of Houston for it's economic/residential drivers.

In contrast Gwinnett's growth is going to be a little bit older, but it also has economic driver's from two directions. One is the city of Atlanta to the southwest, but the other is the north metro Atlanta, which it is apart of and extending further west. (About half of Metro Atlanta is to the northside of town outside of the perimeter/intown areas)

If you doubled the land size of Gwinnett County leading out from the city it's currently population would be closer to 1m-1.1m people instead of 800,000 for a more apples to oranges comparison.

In many respects they are probably similar, but I think Gwinnett's growth is a couple of decades ahead of Fort Bend's and/or closer to the core metropolitan growth.

I didn't readily find any current employment numbers for Fort Bend... I really don't care to spend much time into figuring it out either... if there are any Fort Bend boosters who know off hand...

By the starting numbers and its growth age... I would think southern Hall County and Forsyth Co. might be more similar. (just keep in mind for comparisons GA counties are tiny in land area)
Yeah; your post clearly shows you're very ignorant about Fort Bend County.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah; your post clearly shows you're very ignorant about Fort Bend County.
Please explain... I'm operating off numbers here. The numbers are real, but I admittedly can only work off that.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Please explain... I'm operating off numbers here. The numbers are real, but I admittedly can only work off that.
Exactly.

You don't know what Fort Bend County is about; yet you tried to downplay it.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Exactly.

You don't know what Fort Bend County is about; yet you tried to downplay it.
I'm not trying to downplay anything... ?

I looked at the numbers and described them... I also looked at aerial imagery and looked at its growth patterns and it is very typical of an up and coming suburban county.

Please tell me what I said that is wrong... you seem to be trying to argue with me, but I still don't understand why or for what reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City