Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:07 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times

Advertisements

To the OP - I think you have it with the humidity thing. The more humid the climate, the worse. Because mosquitoes breed around water, you're not even safe in the city (kind of a disgusting concept that you're getting bitten by an insect that grew up in the sewer). In Richmond, VA, the mosquitoes are absolutely horrible. I have no areas with standing water on my property, yet I get eaten alive the second I step outside from mid-May through August (and I live in a rowhouse).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
was not too happy about the mosquitos on Long Island and Adirondacks (and the Shad flies of the Hudson River Valley were awful).

Saint Louis was pretty bad too, and there were all sorts of other nasty biting bugs in the area.

One (of many) nice thing about living is Southern California is that there are hardly any mosquitos here.
And insects in general. I've lived near downtown L.A. for the past few years, and I think I've seen 2 spiders outside my apartment the entire time, and no mosquitos or other bothersome bugs. It's glorious

Old 12-07-2010, 01:18 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
You mean its not covered in chocolate syrup, ice cream, and truffles?
only a little bit

Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Houston has some really big ones, and it seems to me that its always mosquito season there. We killed them in our home every month of the year. Summers, they can be brutal. SIL won't even let her kids step outside until she has them completely sprayed down with OFF. For us, I'd rather take my chances on mosquito bites, than spray my family down with chemicals.

But the worst I've ever seen were in Anchorage, Alaska. They were huge and in some of the biggest swarms I have ever seen.
I think maybe the range of mosquitos can be different, they are certainly bad in FL, I would gander worse than Houston as it rains just about every day in FL during the summer for a bit allowing standing water to collect. At the beach in FL gnats can also be bad.

You may be on to something with Alaska... and possibly Wisconsin/Minnesota as they are closed to Canada.

"Mosquitos were much worse in Florida before developments filled in the wetlands. Still a problem. One entomologist states that people simply have to accept the fact that biting insects are more of a problem here than elsewhere.
Yet another writer insists that ticks and deer flies are not as bad in the North as the South, and that mosquitos are worse in Canada and Alaska.
"

ALASKA: Black Flies and mosquitos can be a major problem, sometimes pursuing people and animals out onto the water.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM

908 posts, read 1,828,719 times
Orlando because it has no ocean and a bunch of alligator filled lakes that are breading grounds for mosquitos.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:41 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I think maybe the range of mosquitos can be different, they are certainly bad in FL, I would gander worse than Houston as it rains just about every day in FL during the summer for a bit allowing standing water to collect. At the beach in FL gnats can also be bad.

You may be on to something with Alaska... and possibly Wisconsin/Minnesota as they are closed to Canada.

"Mosquitos were much worse in Florida before developments filled in the wetlands. Still a problem. One entomologist states that people simply have to accept the fact that biting insects are more of a problem here than elsewhere.
Yet another writer insists that ticks and deer flies are not as bad in the North as the South, and that mosquitos are worse in Canada and Alaska.
"

ALASKA: Black Flies and mosquitos can be a major problem, sometimes pursuing people and animals out onto the water.
No Houston is probably not as bad as Florida, but it's probably close, and I do remember those pesky gnats in Florida. Yuk! The problem with Houston is that there are bayous everywhere. And while it doesn't rain as much as Florida, it does rain quite a bit and because it's so flat, like Florida, there is always standing water. Mosquito breeding grounds!

Old 12-08-2010, 10:28 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
No Houston is probably not as bad as Florida, but it's probably close, and I do remember those pesky gnats in Florida. Yuk! The problem with Houston is that there are bayous everywhere. And while it doesn't rain as much as Florida, it does rain quite a bit and because it's so flat, like Florida, there is always standing water. Mosquito breeding grounds!
True, the whole bayou areas are probably bad, on into louisiana.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 9,265 times
I live in the Chicago suburbs and the mosquitoes are awful! They make enjoying summer outdoors impossible. As soon as it warms up around end of May through first frost-Oct. or Nov. they are bad. Then it snows

Old 02-23-2011, 08:21 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, San Antonio is not dessert like at all. I would describe it as a shrubby, green hilly place. there are many creeks running through the area
I agree, SA is not "deserty", but it's drier and browner than the Southeast. I agree with PDX LAX, I never would imagine a huge mosquito problem in SA, a place that is alot drier than the Southeast. I never encountered a huge mosquito problem when I lived in Austin.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,056,314 times
Duluth, MN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City