Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minneapolis vs Denver
City of lakes 63 55.26%
Queen city of the plains 51 44.74%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:57 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessime View Post
I have lived in Denver and lived in MN so I've spent a lot of time in 'The Cities' and I would have to say that I like Denver better because 1 it IS a newer big city and as such means that there is not a certain mold that you have to fit yourself into to get along with, let alone fit in with, the people of the city. 2 there are so many things to do in Denver that do not cost money! Ok so they don't spend as much 'supporting the arts' as MN but I have been to so many free concerts and street fairs and museums in Denver for free whereas in Minneapolis I have to spend money to enjoy those same things. 3 Denver may have more air pollution but Minneapolis feels dirtier than Denver does; there are less 'slumy' areas in Denver than I have found in Minneapolis. 4 traffic, Denver may not have as many highways and interstates crisscrossing it, but honestly the traffic is not that bad, so long as you stay out of rush hour time zones (7am-9am, 4pm-6pm). There are many times I find myself stuck in traffic in the cities during a time when I would think there shouldn't be any traffic. I could go on but those are the biggest reasons for me.
I agree with most of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,060,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessime View Post
I have lived in Denver and lived in MN so I've spent a lot of time in 'The Cities' and I would have to say that I like Denver better because 1 it IS a newer big city and as such means that there is not a certain mold that you have to fit yourself into to get along with, let alone fit in with, the people of the city. 2 there are so many things to do in Denver that do not cost money! Ok so they don't spend as much 'supporting the arts' as MN but I have been to so many free concerts and street fairs and museums in Denver for free whereas in Minneapolis I have to spend money to enjoy those same things. 3 Denver may have more air pollution but Minneapolis feels dirtier than Denver does; there are less 'slumy' areas in Denver than I have found in Minneapolis. 4 traffic, Denver may not have as many highways and interstates crisscrossing it, but honestly the traffic is not that bad, so long as you stay out of rush hour time zones (7am-9am, 4pm-6pm). There are many times I find myself stuck in traffic in the cities during a time when I would think there shouldn't be any traffic. I could go on but those are the biggest reasons for me.

You're so far off on some of your points it's obvious you didn't spend much time in either Minneapolis or St. Paul. BTW, I've lived in both Denver and Minneapolis so your b.s. won't get very far.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM

113 posts, read 296,829 times
Minneapolis\St. Paul

Old 06-17-2011, 03:45 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,193,711 times
Again, I love Denver, but Minneapolis/St. Paul is a real world class city in all phases of existance. I cannot say enough to give the metro area its due justice.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:31 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Transportation: Minny (light rail, airport is much more convenient to get to)
Skyline: Denver
Big City feeling: Tie
Scenery: Denver
Downtown Area: Denver
Suburbs: Minny
Climate: Denver
Things to do: Tie
Traffic: Denver's seems worse
Pollution: Denver's is worse
Entertainment: Minny
Nightlife: Minny, unless Boulder is included, then it's a tie
Sports: First impression was to go with Denver, but a closer look gives the nod to Minny due to Big Ten sports
Culture: Minny

Old 06-18-2011, 04:39 PM

252 posts, read 492,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
Downtown Area: Denver
I don't get everyone's fascination with downtown Denver. It doesn't have the shopping options downtown Minneapolis has to offer. I don't think it's dining scene is better than what downtown Minneapolis has to offer. It has a smaller residential population and isn't as dense. Throw in the Mississippi River area, greenery, and walkability and downtown Minneapolis wins.

Downtown Denver does beat out downtown St. Paul though.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post
I don't get everyone's fascination with downtown Denver. It doesn't have the shopping options downtown Minneapolis has to offer. I don't think it's dining scene is better than what downtown Minneapolis has to offer. It has a smaller residential population and isn't as dense. Throw in the Mississippi River area, greenery, and walkability and downtown Minneapolis wins.

Well i like downtown Denver for many reasons...
I like The theme park,The sports venues, the food (You have to know where to go), the theatres,Museums,the Downtown Aquarium,The transportation to and from the DT area, Even the 16th street mall...Theres many things about DT Denver that people love Unlike DT Minneapolis, Downtown Denver is very...centralized because it doesn't have to share most of its "Shine" with the Denver Tech Center. Whereas in Mlps, it kind of has to share some of the shine with DT St.Paul.

Also, Cherry Creek Bicycle trail is very close in proximity to the Downtown area.

Old 06-18-2011, 04:57 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity77 View Post

I was just in MSP last weekend and really enjoyed it. Went to a Twins game and stayed across the river in the Dinkytown area. It's a very nice downtown, but personally, I have to give a slight edge to Denver. It has quite a bit to offer:

Coors Field
Pepsi Center for Avs, Nuggets, concerts, etc
16th Street Mall
Elitch Gardens amusement park
Downtown Aquarium
State capitol
Lodo
Breweries
University of Colorado Denver
Paramount Theatre
Light rail
Union Station
View of the Rockies

Old 06-18-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I was just in MSP last weekend and really enjoyed it. Went to a Twins game and stayed across the river in the Dinkytown area. It's a very nice downtown, but personally, I have to give a slight edge to Denver. It has quite a bit to offer:

Coors Field
Pepsi Center for Avs, Nuggets, concerts, etc
16th Street Mall
Elitch Gardens amusement park
Downtown Aquarium
State capitol
Lodo
Breweries
University of Colorado Denver
Paramount Theatre
Light rail
Union Station
View of the Rockies
This is a better explaination.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Well i like downtown Denver for many reasons...
I like The theme park,The sports venues, the food (You have to know where to go), the theatres,Museums,the Downtown Aquarium,The transportation to and from the DT area, Even the 16th street mall...Theres many things about DT Denver that people love Unlike DT Minneapolis, Downtown Denver is very...centralized because it doesn't have to share most of its "Shine" with the Denver Tech Center. Whereas in Mlps, it kind of has to share some of the shine with DT St.Paul.

Also, Cherry Creek Bicycle trail is very close in proximity to the Downtown area.
Good post!

Denver has also been focusing on redeveloping downtown (LoDo, 16th St. Mall, etc.) for decades and Minneapolis is JUST starting to really get things moving around downtown....despite their best efforts. The Mills District, North Loop (Twinsville) and Elliot Park are changing much more rapidly now. Northeast and Loring Park have long been more established areas of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City