U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:15 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,192,442 times

Advertisements

The beginning of a recovery is expected in Florida in 2011, and a strong growth in 2012.Which city will enjoy it first and the strongest ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 10:20 AM

908 posts, read 974,690 times
What makes you think they will recover any time soon? The state continues to be an economic and forclosure disaster plagued by low wages and lack of jobs.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:30 AM

13,339 posts, read 13,516,708 times
Recover? From what? It's still growing, people are still moving there, that's all they need. That's how it's been done down there since day 1. Population 18million and counting, probably gonna surpass NY and become number 3.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPhilliesPhan View Post
What makes you think they will recover any time soon? The state continues to be an economic and forclosure disaster plagued by low wages and lack of jobs.
Sorry, but it's said everywhere, Florida won't recover easily, but in 2012 the strong growth will be back.Florida is one of the best state about the business climate, the weather is great, and the house crisis effects are over (the bottom point has been reached).
And low wage jobs you say ? Ridiculous, many jobs are well-paid in Florida, particularly in the international trade, but if you don't know the economy of Florida you can't know that.

And yeah Polo, Florida will be the third largest state soon, ahead New York

Old 12-08-2010, 11:02 AM

10,180 posts, read 5,158,564 times
Quote:
NJPhilliesPhan, I cant speak for Orlando & Tampa or central Florida at all but Jacksonville & Miami have the potential to recover.

Jacksonville is already starting to recover and economically its the healthiest Metropolitan Area in Florida right now (which doesn't say much). It's also the fastest to get incentives ready to attract more business and things of that nature.

Miami, I don't think Miami-Fort Lauderdale will be pinned for long. I cant imagine how a Metropolitan Area of over 5.5 Million people can deplete so much. So I'm going with my inner feeling on Miami-Fort Lauderdale. I don't know too much about it. Nor do I know about Orlando & Tampa to comment.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:14 AM

"In Florida, occupations with the largest expected job growth are similar. According to a state forecast, from 17 occupations projected to gain the most numbers of new jobs include retail salesperson, waiter and waitress, janitor and cleaner, customer service representative, and general office clerk."
Growth of low-wage jobs could curb economic recovery - Sun Sentinel

DANNY I agree that Miami being the only real city in Florida has the best chance of recovery. But low wage jobs and unemployment will severly delay any recovery.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM

13,339 posts, read 13,516,708 times
Quote:
"In Florida, occupations with the largest expected job growth are similar. According to a state forecast, from 17 occupations projected to gain the most numbers of new jobs include retail salesperson, waiter and waitress, janitor and cleaner, customer service representative, and general office clerk."

DANNY I agree that Miami being the only real city in Florida has the best chance of recovery. But low wage jobs and unemployment will severly delay any recovery.
Real City? What does that mean?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:41 AM

3,596 posts, read 4,314,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Real City? What does that mean?
He is implying Florida really doesn't have an ecnonomy outside of tourism. That's not to far from the truth. In essence Florida recovery will greatly be depended on the U.S. recovery.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

LOL.New Jersey and California have many high-wage jobs, and the recovery isn't there in these states !

Old 12-08-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
LOL.New Jersey and California have many high-wage jobs, and the recovery isn't there in these states !
Florida unemployment rate: 11.9%

California unemploymet rate: 12.4%

New Jersey unemployment rate: 9.2%

Local Area Unemployment Statistics Home Page
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City