U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2010, 08:14 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,989,378 times

Advertisements

I've never been to either, but would like to someday, which is better?

Actual Beach(sand and ocean water)-
Night Life-
Daytime Entertainment-
Public Transportation-
Affordabilty-
Boardwalk Food-
Overall-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 09:38 PM

759 posts, read 1,672,755 times
Well, I know Brighton Beach well, and I don't think it's really similar to Venice Beach.

Brighton Beach is heavily Russian, and has a big, bustling shopping district. I don't think Venice is very ethnic, or known for shopping.

And Brighton Beach is very dense, with lots of midrises and highrises, and major subway stations. Venice isn't really dense (though it isn't really suburban either).

Venice is more iconic and more of a global brand. You see it in the movies and the like. Brighton Beach is well known, but not like Venice.

The actual beach in Venice Beach is nicer than Brighton Beach, but honestly, neither have world-class beaches.

Brighton Beach has seen more development in recent years, with lots of luxury condos, mostly with Russian residents.

Regardinng nightlife, I have no clue if Venice has evening activity. Brighton Beach has nightlife, but I would say adjacent Sheepshead Bay is more of a nightlife center.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM

7,412 posts, read 8,249,281 times
There was a good movie called "Brighton Beach Memoirs" that I enjoy watching every time is comes on TV; it takes place during WW2 and the main character is a horny Jewish kid I don't even know exactly where Brighton beach is though I assume it is near Coney Island in Brooklyn, right? I did visit Coney Island once so was probably very close to Brighton Beach.

Venice Beach is more anti-establishment, lots of pot heads and weird people along with every conceivable sport fanatic and muscle show offs. It's the kind to beach to do serious people watching. Though the surf is nice. There really isn't any nightlife compared to places like South Beach\ Miami or even Laguna Beach. But it is a cheap way to enjoy the day for usual fast food, bike or skate rentals, a great skateboard park, handball courts, basketball, etc. Transportation isn't all that great either since only public buses are available but plenty of parking lots.

Here's a few photos of Venice Beach

Old 12-08-2010, 10:32 PM

3,754 posts, read 3,859,615 times
Two different places. Brighton beach is more of a neighborhood in Brooklyn that has double the population of Venice, while Venice beach is primarily... well... a beach.
Venice beach probably has a nicer beach and that is not saying much really....
Brighton beach is a pretty big transportation hub though, so it can get pretty busy.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,107,004 times
I would choose Venice Beach. The water and weather there is usually warmer than in Brighton Beach, and is just more beautiful with palm trees and waves, unless snow is your thing, Brighton might suit you then. Venice Beach also has topography and lacks humidity, unlike Brighton. Both have bad air quality and good nightlife. Sand is the same in both, same with water color. Both have good snacks on the boardwalk, and good daytime entertainment. California is known for its car travel, so NYC has the better public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City