Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,972,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yes, D.C.'s uninterrupted mass of downtown development will be unrivaled by 2025:

Vision for the City (2012) - YouTube
Nice! The "Vision for the City" video really gives a decent overview of how dramatically DC is changing. It's cool to see what was already a major city evolve into truly world class city in just a few decades.

Personally I think that much of the urban growth wouldn't have happened without the subway. Do you agree that this magnitude of change would not have been possible without the Metro? And if so, what are the limits of growth if there is no expansion of the Metro within DC? 15,000 per square mile or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Nice! The "Vision for the City" video really gives a decent overview of how dramatically DC is changing. It's cool to see what was already a major city evolve into truly world class city in just a few decades.

Personally I think that much of the urban growth wouldn't have happened without the subway. Do you agree that this magnitude of change would not have been possible without the Metro? And if so, what are the limits of growth if there is no expansion of the Metro within DC? 15,000 per square mile or so?
I imagine the subway had a lot to do with the gentrification of DC. If a system of that size and extent had been directed towards Los Angeles, Philadelphia, or Boston, I believe those cities would be far more bustling than they are now.

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I imagine the subway had a lot to do with the gentrification of DC. If a system of that size and extent had been directed towards Los Angeles, Philadelphia, or Boston, I believe those cities would be far more bustling than they are now.
I think the Metro accelerated the process in certain areas (i.e., Columbia Heights, NoMa). No question about that. It may allow for higher densities to be built in limited areas. But I don't think it had much to do with the gentrification process in DC overall. Some of the city's most popular and attractive neighborhoods don't even have subway access. I think gentrification in DC was (is) more or less fueled by high income earners, foreign investors, and the independently wealthy all competing to live in 19th Century neighborhoods that are rather unique in this country (along with a huge drop in the murder rate from 1990s levels). The brownstones in Adams-Morgan and Logan Circle were going to be snapped up whether a rail system was in DC or not.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:54 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,527,346 times
what's the deal w/ downtown LA?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,953,673 times
Bit of a minority opinion but I'm used to that, I actually quite like these. Good for infill, good for Washington.

Glass the district up.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:46 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,545,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeastCoaster View Post
Yeah I would go with LA, I have lived in both cities. If you want a suburban cookie cutter neighborhood go with DC or like Vienna VA, or Loudon. If you want that same suburban feel for a bit more than go with Woodland Hills in LA. I feel both cities have fun things to do. Like when I was in DC we drove up to NYC or Boston very often. In LA I drive to Las Vegas, San Fran, and to Baja California. They offer essentially the same things, both are geared to young professionals. DC does have a tendancy to shut down after 6. I think that LA has a bit of advantage if you like warm weather. LA is not as rainy, of course it does rain, but not as much especially with the drought. In LA we are a lot more materialistic than in DC. I can drive literally two minutes from my house and go to the Westfield Topanga, and get everything from Louis Vuitton, to Apple, to Brandy Melville. In DC they have Potomic Mills, and Tysons Corners, but those are so far away (30 minute drive)

Im in college now, in LA at my college everyone drives BMW's, or Lexus' no one actually drives just a normal car. It may be that I am very materialistic but I love LA and always will.
For someone who claims to have lived in DC your argument doesn't ring too many bells. What cookie cutter neighborhoods in DC proper could you be referring to? Los Angeles has swaths of suburban style housing in it's city proper of 3 million. DC is 650,000 and has rowhouses and apartments everywhere. Wow talk about not in touch!

The city shuts down after 6? You can't be serious... I pulled this from the thread someone posted a couple months ago about cities with most establishments open late.

Restaurants open after midnight on a Saturday

* Los Angeles: 1323

* Chicago: 1301

* Washington DC: 854

* Las Vegas: 611

* Phoenix: 583

* Boston: 562

* Seattle: 516

* Miami: 499[LEFT]
Read more: Most 24/7 city outside of NYC
[/LEFT]

There is a Louis Vutton along with Dior, Gucci, Cartier, Tiffany's, Jimmy Choo, on Wisconsin Ave in Chevy Chase one block from the DC border...Not to mention Georgetown, and City Center in the heart of downtown currently finishing up it's retail additions of Hermes, Ferragamo, another LV and another Jimmy Choo etc etc...There are at least 4 Westfield Shopping malls in the DC region too so I don't know where that made your argument any stronger. Apple stores? Lol There are 6 Apple stores in the immediate beltway, 11 within a 40 mile radius of DC. What are we really talking about here?? Maybe you were living on the NOVA side and were not exposed to every part of town, but i'm just trying to paint a more accurate picture.

There are millions of people who would take LA over DC I get that, but I thrive off the facts.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-11-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 10-11-2014, 02:05 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,838,061 times
LA

DC seems so boring and full of uptight people with suits and ties everywhere

Los angeles has much more flair, color

Old 10-11-2014, 03:38 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,792,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
LA

DC seems so boring and full of uptight people with suits and ties everywhere

Los angeles has much more flair, color
DC seems boring? Have you even been to DC?

Old 10-11-2014, 03:44 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,844,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
For someone who claims to have lived in DC your argument doesn't ring too many bells. What cookie cutter neighborhoods in DC proper could you be referring to? Los Angeles has swaths of suburban style housing in it's city proper of 3 million. DC is 650,000 and has rowhouses and apartments everywhere. Wow talk about not in touch!

The city shuts down after 6? You can't be serious... I pulled this from the thread someone posted a couple months ago about cities with most establishments open late.

Restaurants open after midnight on a Saturday

* Los Angeles: 1323

* Chicago: 1301

* Washington DC: 854

* Las Vegas: 611

* Phoenix: 583

* Boston: 562

* Seattle: 516

* Miami: 499[LEFT]
Read more: Most 24/7 city outside of NYC
[/LEFT]

There is a Louis Vutton along with Dior, Gucci, Cartier, Tiffany's, Jimmy Choo, on Wisconsin Ave in Chevy Chase one block from the DC border...Not to mention Georgetown, and City Center in the heart of downtown currently finishing up it's retail additions of Hermes, Ferragamo, another LV and another Jimmy Choo etc etc...There are at least 4 Westfield Shopping malls in the DC region too so I don't know where that made your argument any stronger. Apple stores? Lol There are 6 Apple stores in the immediate beltway, 11 within a 40 mile radius of DC. What are we really talking about here?? Maybe you were living on the NOVA side and were not exposed to every part of town, but i'm just trying to paint a more accurate picture.

There are millions of people who would take LA over DC I get that, but I thrive off the facts.
Sounds like someone who lived in the DC burbs. I agree little about the city screams "cookie cutter suburbs" to me. While I think LA's SFH neighborhoods are pretty interesting and have some great architecture it has more cookie cutter neighborhoods, especially in the Valley (and particularly the West Valley).

Old 10-11-2014, 08:01 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,200,921 times
I lived in the DC Area for 3 years and lived in San Diego for a total of 7, but always visited family in LA very very often. I like LA more. It just has more to do, better weather and scenery, beautiful beaches right there, better food (more variety)...DC is great too, and certainly has more history, the free museums (which is a bonus), better public transportation, and is more walkable. That is where DC has the advantage, as well as more rainfall (so more beauty in spring and more greenery in summer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City