Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:50 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I can't say I am in love with either of these towns, but I would have to pick Los Angeles.

Washington D.C., although it is in the correct coast, severely lacks the small ground level retail of its other eastern neighbors, and for that, it throws itself in to the LA category. I honestly had less trouble finding a slice of pizza in LA than I did Washington D.C. with its McDonalds and its chain restaurants - shame on you, D.C.

The people in LA seem to be more interesting as well - Washington D.C.'s nightlife is ruled by who drives what senator to the supermarket.

Washington is good for its mass transit, the fact that it is on the east coast. Washington has nice european-style circles and blocks, which is very nice.

I feel similar ways about Washington that I do Los Angeles, but Los Angeles has beaches, and palm trees, and better looking people, so for once I have to give it to Los Angeles.
1) There's probably more street-level retail in Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, U Street, or Chinatown than in all of LA.

2) Palm trees can grow in DC; they're just not native. You can grow them all the way up to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 05:54 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,260,437 times
palm trees aren't even native to la. almost all were planted there 70-100 years ago. palms only live about that long which is why you see so many la palms dying now, being replaced by oak trees.
Palms Fading from Los Angeles Landscape : NPR

i also like the trees we have in nova. street view example:
fairfax va - Google Maps

Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
1) There's probably more street-level retail in Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, U Street, or Chinatown than in all of LA.
Why respond to a bad post with another bad post?

Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Oh, what wonderful Winter weather we're having! LOL!

It's awesome because after I finish up my graduate school exam today, I'm probably going to hang out near the beach with some old friends.

I chose Los Angeles because my closest friends, family, and everything I've ever known is here. I'd love to live in Washington DC, even if its just for a little bit, just to be in the beating heart of the political United States. However, I believe in the adage that "there is no place like home" No matter where I live, I always somehow manage to miss LA
warm weather like that during christmas feels awkward.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:23 AM

818 posts, read 1,387,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

Oh, what wonderful Winter weather we're having! LOL!

It's awesome because after I finish up my graduate school exam today, I'm probably going to hang out near the beach with some old friends.
While I admire your love for your hometown, you're just like all the other LA people I know. You talk about your weather because that's the only thing you have that you're better than anyone else at.

I'm sure when you talk to people in your city, you never bring up weather but you do when you talk to people out of town. I would guess its possibly the first or second thing you mention to someone when you talk to them. I have lots of family and friends in my hometown LA, and that's the first thing they do when I talk to them. Got something to prove?

Old 12-17-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
While I admire your love for your hometown, you're just like all the other LA people I know. You talk about your weather because that's the only thing you have that you're better than anyone else at.

I'm sure when you talk to people in your city, you never bring up weather but you do when you talk to people out of town. I would guess its possibly the first or second thing you mention to someone when you talk to them. I have lots of family and friends in my hometown LA, and that's the first thing they do when I talk to them. Got something to prove?
There are very few cities that have a lot that's better than other cities. Los Angeles, while not the top in many ways, has a lot going for it that's better than the vast majority of cities outside of weather. The food there is fantastic and diverse. The museums there are fantastic (though DC is better). The art and music scene for actual practitioners is possibly the best in the US right now. LA has a decent number of things going for it--it's not a complete disaster.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
There are very few cities that have a lot that's better than other cities. Los Angeles, while not the top in many ways, has a lot going for it that's better than the vast majority of cities outside of weather. The food there is fantastic and diverse. The museums there are fantastic (though DC is better). The art and music scene for actual practitioners is possibly the best in the US right now. LA has a decent number of things going for it--it's not a complete disaster.
I'm sorry but are you actually trying to tell me the food in what was my hometown and where I grew up is better than most cities?
It had good places but lets not overkill it here, I've had better food in multiple cities over LA. Art and music scene in NYC is the best right now, and I would even place SF ahead of LA for that.

I really don't care what LA has going for it or not, I waited my life away to leave that city. And when I got to NYC, I felt my years in LA paid off for something. They basically made it so that way NYC would exceed all my expectations that LA failed in. And yes, you cant have a conversation with someone from LA without them bringing up their weather. If you say otherwise then I know you're lying or have never been.

Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 AM

617 posts, read 1,423,223 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but are you actually trying to tell me the food in what was my hometown and where I grew up is better than most cities?
It had good places but lets not overkill it here, I've had better food in multiple cities over LA. Art and music scene in NYC is the best right now, and I would even place SF ahead of LA for that.

I really don't care what LA has going for it or not, I waited my life away to leave that city. And when I got to NYC, I felt my years in LA paid off for something. They basically made it so that way NYC would exceed all my expectations that LA failed in. And yes, you cant have a conversation with someone from LA without them bringing up their weather. If you say otherwise then I know you're lying or have never been.
I might be mistaking but you are starting to sound alot like Ghost

Old 12-17-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
I might be mistaking but you are starting to sound alot like Ghost
Who the hell is that?

I don't hate LA, I like the place. But I think its a normal city with exceptional mild weather. My parents, family, and friends live in LA. But what annoys me about LA people the most is that they always talk about weather like its the only thing worth talking about with them. My friends have take it upon themselves to try to rub it in when they call me saying "today was another beautiful day, enjoy the gloomy NYC". Its just one thing I don't like about LA and the food is selective. LA lacks Italian food that comes anywhere close to NYC, Boston, CHI, Philly, and DC.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 AM

Quote:

Same situation with me. I grew up in Los Angeles and now live in New York. Los Angeles does have a great food scene--its Chinese, Korean, and Mexican food is the best I've had in the states and at a far cheaper price. There's a Ding Tai Fung in Los Angeles, while there isn't one in NYC. The amaebi in several nondescript Japanese sushi bars in LA is as good as a fairly pricey one in NYC (whose idea of sushi outside of a few select places are generally overpriced and not that great)--Sawtelle is far better than St. Mark's. There are amazing one dollar tacos in LA which you have to pay more than double for the same (but not quite as good) in NYC. Also, I very much miss the bacon-wrapped grilled hot dogs with onions and peppers after shows in LA--far tastier than a papaya dog or the dirty water dogs in NYC.

LA's art scene is better than NYC's right now (and I sure as hell wouldn't place SF above LA for that) and it's the field I actually make my living in. For music, I'd say they're pretty close at this point.

You're also not quite literate as I very explicitly stated that LA may not be the best in these things--it's just that it's quite good.

I'm with you in that NYC has a lot more of what I'm looking for and that LA fails in many ways. And you can say I'm lying, but come spring or fall in NYC, it's perfectly possible for me to have a conversation about LA without mentioning the weather--just not so much in the summer and winter which are pretty awful in NYC.

Did you also happen to leave LA while you were still a teen? LA as an adult who actually knows what to look for is vastly different. I found that out over the last several years when I've gone back to visit. It's not quite enough for me to want to move back, but it's certainly a lot better than what I remembered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City