Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Honestly, I think the cities of Houston and Dallas are growing with TOD and multifamily housing. It's the same in big cities all around the country. LA and DC are certainly not unique in this (though the scope and scale is higher).

I don't see much difference between the Rosslyn and Buckhead Village (or Century City for that matter). Both are connected via mass transit, have a huge corridor of highrises surrounded by very low density neighborhoods.
Agree overall. DC is doing a great job though; especially in new plans.

But agree nearly all new development today in larger metros within the cores is multi family

DC does have very gfood plans on the expanison and infill of the extended core (different from LA to me in that LA is backfilling a subway mostly; DC is developing new jobs and dense housing along the corrider)

Both are good uses of PT IMHO

But DC is by no mean only growing in this regard, in the developed corriders, yes but so is LA and many others, maybe not as planful and ambitios though as DC in some ways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree overall. DC is doing a great job though; especially in new plans.

But agree nearly all new development today in larger metros within the cores is multi family

DC does have very gfood plans on the expanison and infill of the extended core (different from LA to me in that LA is backfilling a subway mostly; DC is developing new jobs and dense housing along the corrider)

Both are good uses of PT IMHO

But DC is by no mean only growing in this regard, in the developed corriders, yes but so is LA and many others, maybe not as planful and ambitios though as DC in some ways
Agreed that DC is growing outward with TOD in corridors, while LA is mostly fixing what they broke.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:47 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Also you act as though this is a PT panacea, yes the TODs are very good and yes the new developement (much smaller as a percentage than what will be non TOD development in the metro overall) will be there in PARTS of these counties (again to me a very good thing).

But fact of the matter is for the densest non district county in the Metro (Arlington) which is already built METRO (none new coming) 75% use a car to get to work.

For Fairfax (may improve with the purple line) 86%
Montgomery (also think more TOD coming) 80%

Again I think the planning and developmen is good but honestly reading your posts one would think the VAST amounts of typical suburbia in DC dont exist and wont expand. Just simply not the case on so many levels
NO, actually the difference is you have reading comprehension problems and you seem to think I'm talking about currently built area's which I am not. You seem to also be clueless about the fact that I'm talking about future population growth being in the form of transit riders in urban cores because that is where future housing is being built. Whoever said anything about current residents in already built suburban corridors changing over to rail riders? You have so much anger in your heart about government spending you can't even read straight.

I will give you an example. If a town has a total of 1,000 housing units in suburban form and none of them use transit. Then the town builds another 1,000 urban TOD units and builds a Metro system through the area where those 1,000 new urban TOD units were built, what happens?

You see, you don't have to convert the already built environment to increase urban living and transit ridership. They can remain doing what they always have done. The new residents and future development however can lead to increased ridership in transit. Maybe you should talk a walk and clear your head! You are absolutely ridiculous!

By the way, the purple line is in Montgomery County. The Silver Line is in Fairfax.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:50 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
In just a couple of weeks LA's new Exposition line (almost 9 miles) will open. The lightrail line will go from Culver City to dt Los Angeles. I can already see this line will have a massive amount of riders. Probably much more than what they're estimating. Culver City has become a restaurant hotspot. There will be tons commuting to dt LA for work, entertainment and sporting events. Tons of students at USC will use it. Exposition Park with all the museums and the LA Colisieum are steps away. Can't wait!

Old 02-28-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are you talking about Rosslyn or the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor? I ask because you can't separate them. It's one uninterrupted strip with five metro stations that is actually seeing more development right now than ever before. The problem with what you are saying is a place like the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor is one of many places in D.C. that are built that way. The Metro redline has major developments under construction right now which is turning that corridor into the same type of strip.
I'm just saying that outside of those corridors the vast majority of the area (outside of DC) is car-dependent.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:54 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Honestly, I think the cities of Houston and Dallas are growing with TOD and multifamily housing. It's the same in big cities all around the country. LA and DC are certainly not unique in this (though the scope and scale is higher).

I don't see much difference between the Rosslyn and Buckhead Village (or Century City for that matter). Both are connected via mass transit, have a huge corridor of highrises surrounded by very low density neighborhoods.
Dallas and Houston aren't growing in TOD really because they don't really have a system to do so. The inner suburbs which is mainly what I'm talking about for D.C. (seeing as how D.C. is already one of the most urban cities in the nation and can't grow any other way) are growing through major TOD development only. How can Dallas and Houston grow that way without rail transit in the suburbs?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
NO, actually the difference is you have reading comprehension problems and you seem to think I'm talking about currently built area's which I am not. You seem to also be clueless about the fact that I'm talking about future population growth being in the form of transit riders in urban cores because that is where future housing is being built. Whoever said anything about current residents in already built suburban corridors changing over to rail riders? You have so much anger in your heart about government spending you can't even read straight.

I will give you an example. If a town has a total of 1,000 housing units in suburban form and none of them use transit. Then the town builds another 1,000 urban TOD units and builds a Metro system through the area where those 1,000 new urban TOD units were built, what happens?

You see, you don't have to convert the already built environment to increase urban living and transit ridership. They can remain doing what they always have done. The new residents and future development however can lead to increased ridership in transit. Maybe you should talk a walk and clear your head! You are absolutely ridiculous!

By the way, the purple line is in Montgomery County. The Silver Line is in Fairfax.

The silver line goes up the Dulles Tollroad, very much developed, yes there will be more development in and around am not disputing but there will alos be far more in places not TOD corriders; my point are you disputing this?

The infill in the areas where there is new transit will densify but many areas are already more developed than avergae suburb today, also a fact

More high density development in Arlington is infill; not all that different than infill in all metros toward the core really.

I think you are the one with the reading comprehension problem

I like what DC is doing will say again but there is and will be more non TOD sprawl that will outnumber those units added in the corriders, my point You act as if this isnt happending when it is

DC as a metro is by no means growing only or even predominately in TOD corriders (in the core yes moreso) but DC expands out further by the second. Far further than Loudon which I used as avery simple example

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
In just a couple of weeks LA's new Exposition line (almost 9 miles) will open. The lightrail line will go from Culver City to dt Los Angeles. I can already see this line will have a massive amount of riders. Probably much more than what they're estimating. Culver City has become a restaurant hotspot. There will be tons commuting to dt LA for work, entertainment and sporting events. Tons of students at USC will use it. Exposition Park with all the museums and the LA Colisieum are steps away. Can't wait!
I personally think it will out-perform its estimated ridership as well. Just having USC connected via transit is huge - it is the 13th largest employer in the city. Not to mention Expo Park/USC games, DT Culver City, Helms District in Culver City.

To me the best part of the Expo is areas like the Adams district and Jefferson district will finally be plugged into the transit system. Those areas are primed to be the first South LA neighborhoods that really start to improve.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,558,624 times
[quote=munchitup;23179721]Agreed that DC is growing outward with TOD in corridors, while LA is mostly fixing what they broke.[/quote]

...at 1000x the original cost. Sins of our Fathers, and such.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I'm just saying that outside of those corridors the vast majority of the area (outside of DC) is car-dependent.

It absolutely is; as is almost all of America

This is an area where LA exceeds in many ways actually. Larger footprint PT is better (not optimal or great) in LA

DC also affords tremendous opportunities to live in TOD and wlakable very transit areas, some that extend pretty far out of the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City