Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

I like the way the question's phrased in the poll: "Which city did you like more?" As if Washington, DC and Los Angeles have gone the way of Sparta and Tenochtitlan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
-Arlington County has 26 total miles.
-Loudon County has 526 total miles.

And you are wondering why Arlington only grew by 18,000?

I'm still waiting on the single family subdivision home construction in the inner core which you conviently left out.

I"M GOING TO SAY THIS FOR THE LAST TIME!

You were talking about what is already built in D.C. Why were you talking about it since I was not and really don't care? Also, why do you keep talking about growth in Loudon county and points outward? I don't care if they add 5 million people. What does that have to do with the inner core funneling their growth into urban corridors on transit lines like Arlington did with their 18,000? Montgomery, Fairfax, Arlington Alexandria plan to do the same thing. What will that do? Exactly what I have been talking about all day! Creating a more urban premium transit living experience in the suburbs that will not be able to be duplicated anywhere else. Of-course, that is unless you plan to build subways with 3-5 minute premium peak service in the suburbs surrounding your cities.
Then dont claim this all that is happening in DC. If you read back I agree on the core development but WILL SAY THIS AGAIN. The sprawled growth is outpacing the smart growth in DC

And of-course unless the Fed subsidizes this none will. DC benefits from the Fed, great for DC but that is the reason not because DC is better, remember there is a difference

Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
You were talking about what is already built in D.C. Why were you talking about it since I was not and really don't care? Also, why do you keep talking about growth in Loudon county and points outward? I don't care if they add 5 million people. What does that have to do with the inner core funneling their growth into urban corridors on transit lines like Arlington did with their 18,000? Montgomery, Fairfax, Arlington Alexandria plan to do the same thing. What will that do? Exactly what I have been talking about all day! Creating a more urban premium transit living experience in the suburbs that will not be able to be duplicated anywhere else. Of-course, that is unless you plan to build subways with 3-5 minute premium peak service in the suburbs surrounding your cities.

I'd still take places like Pasadena or Culver City over the TOD corridors around DC like Arlington or Alexandria... they feel more organic IMO (though I did like what I saw of Alexandria's downtown area).

Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd still take places like Pasadena or Culver City over the TOD corridors around DC like Arlington or Alexandria... they feel more organic IMO (though I did like what I saw of Alexandria's downtown area).
Much of Arlington is rather sterile. Alexandria is very different. It's older, it has better architecture, and it's more diverse. If I had to raise a family outside of the District, I would likely do it in Alexandria. Silver Spring would be my second choice.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Much of Arlington is rather sterile. Alexandria is very different. It's older, it has better architecture, and it's more diverse.
My wife's cousin lives in Alexandria, when we passed through old-town area, that part is what I saw and liked... where they live on the other hand, is like a scene from Deliverance.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:43 PM

Here are the long-range (read: very long range) plans for the LA transit system. This map doesn't specify whether lines are BRT, LRT or Heavy Rail.

There are a few lines on here that are a long ways off, but for the most part fairly realistic. The colors are all wonky and do not match what is already built, but none of this is "fantasy" really (except for the purple colored line north of Wilshire and the pink line that runs diagonal south of DT).

http://www.lataco.com/taco/wp-conten...LA_transit.gif (From Lataco.com)

Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
Quote:
Here are the long-range (read: very long range) plans for the LA transit system. This map doesn't specify whether lines are BRT, LRT or Heavy Rail.

There are a few lines on here that are a long ways off, but for the most part fairly realistic. The colors are all wonky and do not match what is already built, but none of this is "fantasy" really (except for the purple colored line north of Wilshire and the pink line that runs diagonal south of DT).

http://www.lataco.com/taco/wp-conten...LA_transit.gif (From Lataco.com)
What is your take on BRT? The D.C. region is adding more BRT lines than rail actually which is saying something. Montgomery County is leading the way in the region while actually building an entire BRT system which will be the largest in the nation by far.

Here are the plans:

-150 stations
-16 lines
-peak headway's will be as frequent as every 2-3 minutes on the busiest corridors

-148.3 system total miles
-two-way guideway only 24 miles
-one-way guideway only 48 miles (rush hour direction)
-guideway and bus lane 27 miles
-bus lane (both direction) 1 mile
-bus lane (one direction) 7 miles
-no guideway or bus lanes 44 miles
-26 Queue Jump Intersections
-TSP 176 intersections
-367 platform stations at 150 sites (median and curb)
-209 Concrete pads
-430 total bus fleet

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...mary110426.pdf

What is your take on how popular BRT is? The Montgomery County council has struggled with the fact that they can't build their own subway system financially but they can build their own BRT system which is what they have decided to do.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Then dont claim this all that is happening in DC. If you read back I agree on the core development but WILL SAY THIS AGAIN. The sprawled growth is outpacing the smart growth in DC

And of-course unless the Fed subsidizes this none will. DC benefits from the Fed, great for DC but that is the reason not because DC is better, remember there is a difference
No, the sprawled growth in the core counties is not happening anymore. What are you talking about? Show me where all this sprawled single family housing is happening. This is the third time I asked you that and once again your come up short. Stop spouting off at the mouth and show some real inner core new sprawled development. Or how about you show me plans for inner core sprawled development. Stop talking about things that have nothing to do with inner core suburbs of D.C.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
What is your take on BRT? The D.C. region is adding more BRT lines than rail actually which is saying something. Montgomery County is leading the way in the region while actually building an entire BRT system which will be the largest in the nation by far.

Here are the plans:

-150 stations
-16 lines
-peak headway's will be as frequent as every 2-3 minutes on the busiest corridors

-148.3 system total miles
-two-way guideway only 24 miles
-one-way guideway only 48 miles (rush hour direction)
-guideway and bus lane 27 miles
-bus lane (both direction) 1 mile
-bus lane (one direction) 7 miles
-no guideway or bus lanes 44 miles
-26 Queue Jump Intersections
-TSP 176 intersections
-367 platform stations at 150 sites (median and curb)
-209 Concrete pads
-430 total bus fleet

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/co...mary110426.pdf

What is your take on how popular BRT is? The Montgomery County council has struggled with the fact that they can't build their own subway system financially but they can build their own BRT system which is what they have decided to do.
I've been on two BRTs - The Orange Line in LA and the Silver Line in Boston and have honestly liked both just as much as light rail, mostly because they were well planned and have dedicated transitways. The biggest drawback was capacity - both the orange line and silver line were literally stuffing people in Tokyo-style. [One note: I used the Silver Line every week day for part of my work journey while in Boston - Friday afternoons blew on that line, I usually just walked to South Station]

The nice thing about the Orange Line is it was built to be upgraded to LRT and probably will be in the near future. (Political idiocy stopped the Orange line from being light rail in the first place).

For places like Montgomery County (and other small metros like Indianapolis) BRT is a great solution, low cost, fairly quick and has a fixed route that is not that effected by traffic. I doubt they will have the same capacity issues that a city like LA would have.

Another type of BRT is being implemented on Wilshire Blvd... basically during peak hours one lane on Wilshire will be bus only, so there will be a BRT line there between say 7-10 AM and 3-7 PM. We also have the Silver Line BRT which runs on the 10 and 110 freeways in the carpool lanes. Not sure how affected they are by

Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I've been on two BRTs - The Orange Line in LA and the Silver Line in Boston and have honestly liked both just as much as light rail, mostly because they were well planned and have dedicated transitways. The biggest drawback was capacity - both the orange line and silver line were literally stuffing people in Tokyo-style. [One note: I used the Silver Line every week day for part of my work journey while in Boston - Friday afternoons blew on that line, I usually just walked to South Station]

The nice thing about the Orange Line is it was built to be upgraded to LRT and probably will be in the near future. (Political idiocy stopped the Orange line from being light rail in the first place).

For places like Montgomery County (and other small metros like Indianapolis) BRT is a great solution, low cost, fairly quick and has a fixed route that is not that effected by traffic. I doubt they will have the same capacity issues that a city like LA would have.

Another type of BRT is being implemented on Wilshire Blvd... basically during peak hours one lane on Wilshire will be bus only, so there will be a BRT line there between say 7-10 AM and 3-7 PM. We also have the Silver Line BRT which runs on the 10 and 110 freeways in the carpool lanes. Not sure how affected they are by
Almost the entire BRT system in Montgomery County will be grade separated. Believe it or not, Montgomery County is one of the main reason's D.C. is ranked number one for worst traffic. The ridership for the system is projected to be around 260,000 people a day.

Boston's Silver Line runs every 10 minutes I believe which is just like a regular bus. Is it grade separated? I don't see how that can be called premium transit comparable to rail frequency. Montgomery Counties busiest lines will run at 2-3 minute peak frequency just like Metro does. I can't imagine a system in D.C. being popular without that type of frequency. Metro has spoiled us I think.

What type of frequency does the BRT line in L.A. run at? Do they plan to grade separate all the BRT lines in L.A.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City