Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:49 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Everybody wants the Buffalo to Toronto move? Who are you talking to? The majority of people I talk to from Toronto don't want it. They either don't care about the NFL or really like the Bills in Buffalo due to the rabid fan base and tailgating fun. Just look at the games played in Toronto. Plenty of empty seats and not that much support for the "home" team, the Bills.
Well, I guess we have talked to different Torontonians. I have discussed this with a lot of them, many of whom are rabid NFL fans, and they would all love to have a team in Toronto. I go to school in Halifax, but most of the kids are from Toronto. A lot of them already have a team they root for, but say they would root for the Toronto team as well. People who aren't huge football fans really like the idea too.

Part of this is that I only know young people from Toronto. The older crowd is a little more into CFL although it's still nothing like it is out in the praries. I know literally nobody who cares about the CFL and lots of people from Ontario who love the NFL.

I know a lot of them go down to Buffalo now and definitely do speak highly of the tailgating (don't see why that couldn't exist in TO too) but rabid fan base? Are we talking about the team with their third blackout of the season this year? No doubt there are some intense Bills fans, but not nearly enough of them.

EDIT: I don't want to be too harsh on the Bills. They do have much better fans than a lot of teams, especially compared to other teams with blackouts (uhhhh Tampa Bay?) but it is still a small market with a huge city not far away. I'd just like to see Toronto get a team and they aren't going to get any team other than the Bills because the two cities are too close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM

581 posts, read 1,172,121 times
NFL- LA, Toronto, and London will be the next to get teams. I dont think anywhere else is really close until those 3 have teams. OKC, and Birmingham are way too small. Not to mention they are already secondary markets for existing teams.

NBA- A team in Seattle makes sense.

MLB- Probably the hardest to support because of the huge number of games. Portland if they had the money would be good, but they dont. Charlotte is probably the only other option.

NHL- there will probably be another Toronto area team eventually(Hamilton) Winnipeg, or Quebec City might get teams back too.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:04 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,997,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
I'm not going to waste my time talking to you anymore. We are in a horrible recession. People act like the Chargers are the only team to have blackouts. The Raiders have blackouts almost every game. The Chargers get more fans every game at the stadium then both jacksonville and the Raiders. Say what you want but you have no idea. LA makes no sense. Los Angeles had 3 teams already and lost them all. LA fans are HUGE bandwagon fans. It would be a complete and utter FAIL for a football team to be there. In California, there's pretty much too much to do to sit at home and watch games or gom to games. The weather is pretty awesome most of the time. In the midwest and Northeast Football is HUGE because it's cold and snowy in the Fall/winter so they don't really have anything else to do. It makes no sense that you say San Diego fans are bandwagon yet you want them to move to Los Angeles? Makes no sense.
Fooballfreak, don't freak out on me here. Yes, I said the Chargers fans are band wagoners. Yes, I said they are a candidate for relocation to Los Angles. But if you read my posts on this subject, I'm actually adamantly opposed to Los Angeles landing an NFL team. I never said I wanted the Chargers to move to Los Angeles, I simply said they probably will. And I don't think they'll get better support in Los Angeles either, which is pretty bad.

Regarding attendance, here's a link to the weekly attendance through this season:

2010 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Now here's a link to the Chargers attendance through the 2000 season, when they finished 1-15:

2000 San Diego Chargers Schedule & Results - The Football Database

Looks like the fans were really dedicated, doesn't it? You can't measure a fan base based on when times are good. But you can get a better picture when times are not so good.

Look at my team, for example. The Broncos have been mediocre the last few seasons, and downright bad this year. The fan base is splintered because of coaching and personnel decision over the last couple seasons, and is enduring what is on pace to be their worst season since the 16 game schedule started in 1978. All during the recession. Still they manage to fill 98.8 percent of the seats in the house, a higher percentage than the Jets, Giants, or Steelers, all of whom are in the playoff picture, and two of whom have recent Super Bowl wins.

Say what you want, the Chargers have one of the least loyal fan bases in the country.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:08 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
This chart shows we average 65,000 a game: 2010 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Oakland and Tampa are the worst.

I would not say the least dedicated. Are you forgetting Jacksonville? Tampa Bay? St Louis?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:12 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
Quote:

Denver is snowing all the time, which is why they have many people going to games. Outside of that, there is nothing to do.
That makes no sense. People DON'T go to games because of snow. Nobody attends a football game BECAUSE it is snowing. Maybe more people watch it on TV because of snow, but your argument is crazy.

Denver doesn't even get that much snow. It certainly doesn't get very cold.

And there is PLENTY to do in snow other than go to football game (I doubt that is the first snow-time activity anyone in Denver would think of).

Old 12-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
This chart shows we average 65,000 a game: 2010 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Oakland and Tampa are the worst.

Denver is snowing all the time, which is why they have many people going to games. Outside of that, there is nothing to do.

I would not say the least dedicated. Are you forgetting the Jacksonville Jaguars?
Nope, I'm not forgetting the Jags, which is why I've also mentioned them in the "likely to move" conversation. But you're going off of raw numbers when you should be going off percentage of the stadium filled. Jacksonville is ahead of San Diego 93.8% to 91.5%.

PS: No, it's not always snowing in Denver, and there's plenty else to do besides go to Broncos games. Especially since NBA and NHL have started and both the Nuggets and Avalanche have promising starts to their seasons. And that's just sports. Denver is a very dynamic city with something for everyone. So for the Broncos to be competing with all that, and still be amongst the league leaders in attendance is a testament to what a loyal fan base really looks like. Watch and learn, San Diego. Before the Broncos are making a flight to Los Angeles once a year to play the Chargers.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:21 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
I'm just tired of teams moving because they don't have the newest most modern tax payer funded stadiums. If the teams can afford to pay players 10 million a year, they should be able to build their own stadiums.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:22 AM

F the Broncos.

San Diego Chargers' Facebook page has 500,000 fans, so keep saying they have no fans all you want. Go back to your sorry Donkeys.

I'm done here.

K Bye.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:29 AM

Dean Spanos, through a mutual friend, told Scott (of the Scott and BR show) that he is still wants to stay in SD and there is no deal with AEG.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Ooh, it takes a real fan to hit "like" on facebook!

And when you've reached the point where all you can say is "F the Broncos" then I'll take that as a white flag. I don't know why you're letting my opinion, which is based on experience and current and historical data, get under your skin so deeply. Like I said, I believe you when you say that you are a loyal fan. But I think you are wrong when you say the Chargers fans (in general) are loyal. Remember, in 2000 and 2001, many residents were calling for their departure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City