U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 09:05 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit lazy to look up the stats, but for those who have been to both places, which city overall has more of an Italian influence on the culture? Italian culture seems very prevalent in Melbourne in food, architecture, fashion and in other areas, as it does in certain neighbourhoods of New York. I've only been to Melbourne so I can't really comment on NYC from personal experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 AM

49 posts, read 53,238 times
Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, NYC
Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NYC
Broad Chanel, Queens, NYC
Howard Beach, Queens, NYC
Staten Island, NYC

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,061,683 times
NYC as a whole doesn't feel extremely Italian. Manhattan is way too cosmopolitan to be overwhelmed by any ethnicity. However, some neighborhoods in the outer boroughs are very very Italian (the ones Soki mentioned, plus many more) and also the suburbs have strong Italian presence.

I have heard Melbourne had a high Italian population but didn't realize it was quite so notable. Very interesting, although I can't say much on it since I have unfortunately never been there.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:39 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,473,865 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzhHrVY8L3I

Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Apparently Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside Athens as well.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
I would say NYC Remember that in the US. NYC was where the mafia was created. So of course there are a lot of Italians here.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I would say NYC Remember that in the US. NYC was where the mafia was created. So of course there are a lot of Italians here.
Melbourne has alot of Italian wise-guys who think they're part of the Mafia, lol. It's a city where pizza and foccacias are eaten far more than sandwiches and roast dinners.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 AM

1,655 posts, read 5,089,585 times
NYC but there's not a lot of Italians in the Manhattan area.... from at least what I observed over there.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:54 AM

I'm thinking this might've been the wrong forum to ask in. How many people have even been to Melbourne or Australia?

Old 11-23-2013, 11:02 PM

207 posts, read 236,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Apparently Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside Athens as well.
Thought i'd bump this since im from Melbourne and recently spent a fair bit of time in New York.

First on Italians, NY has way more but because the place is so diverse you dont really get the same feel you do in Melbourne, per capita i'd say Melbourne is a lot more Italian and culturally feels that way as well, also Italians in Melbourne and predominantly post ww2 immigrants so its still heavily 1st and 2nd generation, both cities have a ton of Italian culture but i gotta give it to Melbourne purely because its less diverse and Italians stand out more in a smaller city. If you go through every neighbourhood in Melbourne you will generally find Italian ancestry on the top of the list.

As for Greeks the whole largest Greek population thing has always been a bit of an urban myth, firstly the largest Greek city outside Athens is Thessaloniki and the third largest is Piraeus. Metropolitan NY has always had the largest Greek population abroad and i met heaps of Greeks there, but once again because NY is this incredible melting pot of different cultures Melbourne has more of a general Greek character..but not neccesarily more Greeks.

In Melbourne outside those of British/Irish ancestry the Italians and Greeks were always seen as the "big 2" now you can add Chinese and Indians that make up the big 4, NY on the other hand literally has hundreds of large communities, i met Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, numerous large South American communities etc....i can honestly say i've never met people of these nationalities in Melbourne.

If you want an Italian/Greek general feel you go to Melbourne, if you want a more intense Italian/Greek where you will find more restaurants and businesses of these nationalities NY is definately you go, i swear the Astoria neighbourhood in Queens felt like it had more Greek businesses then all of Melbourne combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or