U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2010, 12:22 PM

7,315 posts, read 7,898,709 times
Portland, Oregon without question is the major city hippie, crunchy, granola, tree hugging, bed wetting liberal capital. It's weird . That aside it is a very nice city otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBoy98121 View Post
Seattle is about as far-left liberal as it gets. The only place that I can compare to Seattle as far as being super liberal and hippie is Portland, Oregon. The Pacific Northwest has more far-left nutjobs than anywhere.
Indeed, I lived in Seattle during the Bush years, they made Bush hating an art form out there. However go east across Lake Washington into Bellevue and politics take a sharp turn to the right.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,211 times
I've been to a few places over the years. It depends upon your definition of "Hippie". If it is unwashed, vagabond, and 'free', Then Tampa, FL. If washed, 'progressive', and more "Yuppie" than "Hippie" then Portland, OR., but I agree that Asheville, NC (although well under a million residents) is VERY 'progressive'. Denver has a healthy population of both, from my experience, and Boulder, CO is the "Yuppie" capital (with deference to Berkley, CA). The *real* Hippie crowd, (by necessity being very young), tends to migrate. The southwest is a common gathering ground, nowadays. (And they're still much cleaner than the '60s and '70s bunch). IMHO, of course.

Last edited by dhmcclung; 10-30-2012 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: To add information

Old 10-30-2012, 08:38 AM

2 posts, read 1,211 times
As a footnote: Boulder, CO, at barely 100,000 residents, has a no-smoking ban within the 'city' limits You have to live in a smaller town if you want to be *really* progressive... lol

Old 10-30-2012, 02:42 PM

1,954 posts, read 1,898,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is it still San Francisco? I'm talking MAJOR city, with a MSA of over a million people.

My uneducated guesses...

Portland
San Diego
San Jose
Seattle
Sacramento

They're not major cities, but are parts of the Bay Area like Berkley, Marin County still pretty hippieish? If not true hippies, then areas with lots of new agers, greeny types?
San Diego! Are you high?

The RNC was held there a few elections ago.

Sacramento and San Jose? Not sure those qualify. The PNW cities are good candidates as well as a lot small town Mountain West. Northern AZ and NM and definitely CO. You can't turn around there without hearing some crappy mountain jam band music or walking into a hackey sack game.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:49 PM

3,850 posts, read 1,770,586 times
Actually, BOTH Portlands, although the Maine one doesn't meet the population requirement.

And let's not forget Key West if we're talking small towns.

Quote:
You can't turn around there without hearing some crappy mountain jam band music or walking into a hackey sack game.
I lol'd.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:13 PM

948 posts, read 750,877 times
San Francisco is a major city and its still the hippie capital
Although there are emerging stars such as

Austin (argue if you want, but this is all austin is known for)
Seattle
Minneapolis (midwest hippie capital)
Portland
Boston
Greensboro, NC
D.C

Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,347,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercity View Post
san francisco is a major city and its still the hippie capital
although there are emerging stars such as

austin (argue if you want, but this is all austin is known for)
seattle
minneapolis (midwest hippie capital)
portland
boston
greensboro, nc
d.c
what?

Old 10-30-2012, 09:11 PM

1,015 posts, read 694,705 times
It's said that Portland is where young people go to retire.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:20 PM

6,651 posts, read 6,227,752 times
It used to be back in hippie days that San Francisco, Seattle, and LA were the main focal points on the West Coast. However they've lost that standing, partly due to cost of living, and now Portland has come from behind to win.

They're not exactly like the hippies of yore ..... some are hipsters, which is a different thing. There are some actual genuine old hippies left though, and some young people who like to be "retro".

Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 PM

640 posts, read 542,339 times
I just want to point out that yuppies who work at corporations and are really hipster and liberal are not hippies. That's all I think of when I think of SF, Portland, or Austin.

How about New Orleans, where people literally move here to live in cheap shotgun houses and bum around playing music and drinking on street corners. That's what I think of when I think of the word hippie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City