Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
San Jose 36 15.86%
Portland 19 8.37%
Denver 59 25.99%
Pittsburgh 20 8.81%
Cleveland 14 6.17%
Orlando 10 4.41%
Cincinnati 10 4.41%
Baltimore 12 5.29%
Tampa 3 1.32%
Las Vegas 32 14.10%
Sacramento 9 3.96%
Kansas City 3 1.32%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:00 PM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
All of you guys saying that Denver is *by far* more influential than any other city on the list, can you please be specific? Once again, it could be the East Coaster in me, but Pittsburgh seems the most influential with Denver, Baltimore, Cleveland, and St. Louis if it were on the list trailing it.
determining a list of "most influential" cities is entirely subjective, but as a native philadelphian i fail to see how pittsburgh is anymore influential than the cities you mention. i believe they are all more or less in the same category. if i had to choose i'd say st. louis and baltimore lead the pack. pittsburgh has the smallest city and metro population out of all of them, so i'm not exactly sure why that would be the 'most influential' in anyone's opinion, but oh well.

i agree with you that denver is not anymore influential than the others in any way, and in many ways it trails due to its relatively young age. the other cities have a much more established and urbane culture than denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 06:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
determining a list of "most influential" cities is entirely subjective, but as a native philadelphian i fail to see how pittsburgh is anymore influential than the cities you mention. i believe they are all more or less in the same category. if i had to choose i'd say st. louis and baltimore lead the pack. pittsburgh has the smallest city and metro population out of all of them, so i'm not exactly sure why that would be the 'most influential' in anyone's opinion, but oh well.

i agree with you that denver is not anymore influential than the others in any way, and in many ways it trails due to its relatively young age. the other cities have a much more established and urbane culture than denver.
Urbane? Maybe SF and NYC, but how is "Broncomania" any different from the Steeler worship that goes on in Pittsburgh? (For example)

We have a fabulous performing arts center:
The Denver Center for the Performing Arts | Home

We have a Scientific and Cultural Facilities tax:
:: Welcome to SCFD: Making It Possible ::

And much more. We also have the National Western Stock Show every January where the cattle are herded through downtown Denver:

National Western Stock Show, Rodeo and Horse Show - Denver, Colorado

Maybe we don't take ourselves as seriously as some of these more "urbane" cities.

Old 12-19-2010, 06:33 PM

976 posts, read 2,242,569 times
katiana, what i meant is that denver doesn't have nearly the history of places like baltimore, saint louis or pittsburgh. it's a much, much younger city. there is a sense of place in the older cities that is simply not present in denver. denver has never been a top 10 city; baltimore, st. louis, pittsburgh and cleveland not only were top 10 cities, but most of them were top 10 cities for most of their history.

baltimore: was one of the 10 largest us cities for 190 years
st. louis: was one of the 10 largest us cities for 120 years
cleveland: was one of the 10 largest us cities for 90 years
pittsburgh: was one of the 10 largest us cities for 40 years

source

if you think there isn't a certain level of distinction that comes with that status, you're kidding yourself. moreover, these cities grew to prominence during an age when cities were cities.

denver has never been and likely will never be a top 10 city. cities are just built differently today, and the current boomtowns are getting more and more indistinguishable from each other. local character is diluted and urban culture is assimilating with suburban culture. the old cities, while less important than they once were, still have a sense of place that will take generations upon generations to erode.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Well! I guess you told me! What a bunch of BS! These cities living in the past are sad. Pittsburgh has continually lost population metro-wide since 1972, except for 3 years in the early 90s. We shall see what the 2010 census says.

"Local character is diluted", eh? How many other cities do you know of that herd cattle through downtown for a stock show. You can go to the Denver forum to see a picture if you're interested.

"Urban culture assimilating with suburban culture"? Care to explain what that means? BTW, the urban to suburban resident ratio in Pittsburgh is ~ 1:7; in Denver it's about 1:5. Hence, Pittsburgh is more suburbanized.

"Sense of place"? I'll agree Pittsburgh has it; so does every other city I"ve lived in. Are you familiar with the term "Mile High City"? Ranks up there with "Land of Lincoln", "Fruit and Nut Land" and the like.

It's a little arrogant to suggest that b/c Denver's history of Euorpean settlement is shorter than some other places', that it has 'less history'.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:42 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would say Stanford and Cal-Berkeley are more in burbs of San Francisco than San Jose.
Berkeley is a suburb of Oakland.
Stanford is in Palo Alto, in the SAME COUNTY as San Jose. It's clearly more tied to San Jose/Silicon Valley than it is to San Francisco proper. Many would say that the Silicon Valley only exists because of Stanford.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
To think otherwise would be to think beyond business. Unless you work in IT, San Jose/Silicon Valley is not really on most people's radar beyond Apple Computers. I could think of a visual image in my minds eye with any one of these cities, yet can't really picture San Jose in my mind.

I go with Denver has it is the major hub city for the entire mountain time zone, a huge sports town, and it's has a lot of history starting as a mining capital. Denver has one of the country's major hub airports, and could even rival Portland on environmental infuence. Oh yeah and it has some great breweries, big beer town. In terms of big league cities, Denver defines that more than any others on the list.

As mentioned before though ask anyone overseas, like it or not Las Vegas will likely come to mind first.
The Poll asked which city is more influential. Regardless of whether it's known or not or if it can be pictured in ones mind, San Jose is globally influential. Beyond Apple... Cisco, Google, HP, Intel, eBay, NetApp and others are headquartered in San Jose/Santa Clara County. It's the epicenter of American venture capitalism. It's an enormous center of creativity and a behomoth economic engine for the country.

For me, this is not an image or popularity contest. I am answering the poll as specifically asked. I dare say that none of the cities on this list can actually touch its level of influence.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Close race between San Jose and Denver.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Berkeley is a suburb of Oakland.
Stanford is in Palo Alto, in the SAME COUNTY as San Jose. It's clearly more tied to San Jose/Silicon Valley than it is to San Francisco proper. Many would say that the Silicon Valley only exists because of Stanford.
Perhaps, but the reverse is not true, e.g. that Stanford only exists because of Silicon Valley, which somewhat negates San Jose's claim. I tend to think of that whole area as one big glob.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Not that this has any bearing on the discussion, but, have any of you ever been to San Jose? Frightfully boring for a city of its size.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps, but the reverse is not true, e.g. that Stanford only exists because of Silicon Valley, which somewhat negates San Jose's claim. I tend to think of that whole area as one big glob.
How does it negate San Jose's "claim"? Using that logic, Boston wouldn't have a "claim" to either MIT or Harvard: neither of which are in Boston proper.

This feels like grabbing at straws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City