Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
San Jose 36 15.86%
Portland 19 8.37%
Denver 59 25.99%
Pittsburgh 20 8.81%
Cleveland 14 6.17%
Orlando 10 4.41%
Cincinnati 10 4.41%
Baltimore 12 5.29%
Tampa 3 1.32%
Las Vegas 32 14.10%
Sacramento 9 3.96%
Kansas City 3 1.32%
Voters: 227. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 05:34 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times

Advertisements

This is ridiculous. Orlando isn't even the most well-known city in Florida. Other cities that aren't ruled by Mickey Mouse and don't get half the number of tourists, like Seattle and Detroit, are more well-known.

The vast majority of visitors to Orlando are Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Uhh Las Vegas does not have twice the name recognition of Orlando, you only think that due to it's prevalence in pop culture. To answer your question, the last major movie set (not filmed) in Orlando was Never Back Down - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Fair enough assessment.
You're exactly right, that is why I think it has twice the name recognition. Since that's what gives a city name recognition in the first place.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:07 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
This is ridiculous. Orlando isn't even the most well-known city in Florida. Other cities that aren't ruled by Mickey Mouse and don't get half the number of tourists, like Seattle and Detroit, are more well-known.

The vast majority of visitors to all American cities are Americans.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
The vast majority of visitors to all American cities are Americans.
True, I'm just pointing that out to void the argument that Orlando is one of the most visited cities in the U.S. therefore it has to be one of the most internationally-recognized.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:19 AM

Anyways, per the topic of the thread I voted San Jose. It's position as high-tech and social media center of the world is truly unique and hugely influential. Denver, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, etc. can argue over population, GDP, F500 companies, blah, blah, blah but none have the unique place of SJ.

Old 12-17-2010, 06:25 AM

908 posts, read 1,829,184 times
I agree, no one visits Orlando, they visit a theme park that is not even in city limits. Orlando is not influential at all.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:39 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,945,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
More overseas tourists visit Orlando than NYC, so I'm told, but I'm pretty NYC is also far more famous than Orlando.
What's ridiculous is that you're brining up NYC in a thread about "cities with a metro population around the 2 million mark." You can dispute my reasoning all day about Orlando vs Las Vegas, but nothing was ever said about NYC, that would be crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
Las Vegas has had countless movies made of it, including Sin City, Hangover, and other very popular films. To even say Orlando comes close is a joke in itself.
Nobody ever said Orlando comes close to Vegas for having movies set there. Feel free to get off that high horse as soon as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Yeah exactly, Las Vegas is a household name...Movies, songs, novels...

'Viva Las Vegas,' 'Leaving Las Vegas', 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas', the show' Las Vegas', 'CSI' countless references in films and sit-coms.

I seldom hear Orlando even MENTIONED on TV. Most people don't even know what city DisneyWorld is in.

I'm not bashing Orlando, I'm sure it has it's charms, and I don't worship Vegas but it's far and away the more internationally known/recognised.
Well there you have it, one guy on City-Data from Australia's opinion. I'm not bashing his opinion, but my family in the UK have had the opposite experience and are always telling us that they saw another Harry Potter commercial for Universal Orlando and that they cannot wait to see us/Harry.

Quote:

Again we are talking about metro's of around 2 million not the other larger metros in Florida.

Quote:
You're exactly right, that is why I think it has twice the name recognition. Since that's what gives a city name recognition in the first place.
Just looking at the numbers, I think we can see that a lot of people from other countries must know of Orlando because they choose to vacation here. I even admitted that the pop culture/Hollywood influence for Vegas is huge, but unfortunately even with the cool factor, it doesn't earn them as much international business as Orlando. Well hey at least people in (foreign country) are singing the lyrics to "Viva Las Vegas."

Quote:
True, I'm just pointing that out to void the argument that Orlando is one of the most visited cities in the U.S. therefore it has to be one of the most internationally-recognized.
Right, there's no way it's one of the most recognized when it receives one of the largest amounts of international guests out of any US city. They just blindly get on a plane bound for Orlando and say, "I hope that's where Disney World is..."

Anyways, I'm ready for this off topic debate to end as well.

Las Vegas=more popular in the pop culture sense
Orlando=more popular as a viable destination

Looks like both of the tourist towns have reaches far beyond their 2 million people populations which really was my entire point!

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 12-17-2010 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-17-2010, 10:10 AM

2,413 posts, read 5,749,070 times
Tampa has major military influence internationally because of MacDill AFB. But that's about it. Most don't even know about Macdill. Denver is probably the most influential. I don't think recognition and notoriety necessarily means a city is influential.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:14 AM

818 posts, read 1,388,018 times
Lets stop kidding ourselves here. More people know Vegas overseas than Orlando. It doesn't even come close, I'm sorry to say but you cant beat around the bush even if you get more visitors. Orlando probably has nothing to do for people older than 15. Why would someone in their 30's with no family go to Orlando over Tampa or Sacramento?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:02 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,114,098 times
I don't know why I am continuing in this thread in the first place becauae this thread has been completely hijacked by a bunch of kids debating whether Las Vegas or Orlando is more popular, but not everyone wants to go to Vegas (myself included). Like I said, if international flights are an indicator, then Orlando receives more international visitors (and more visitors in general as I stand corrected, a lot more visitors). Orlando also has more than Disney (I-Drive, Universal, Seaworld, time-shares, and a convention business on par with Vegas, Chicago, and San Diego).

Neither of these cities is influential outside of vacationing and pop culture. Can we focus on what the thread was about? If the movie The Hangover and the show CSI are considered "influential" to America and the world over the likes of Standard Oil, Andrew Carnegie, the Star Spangled Banner/American Flag, the City Beautiful Movement, Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, U.S. Steel, etc etc then our country is in for a rocky road. Aside from vacations, debauchery, and activities that would be illegal in almost every other city, Vegas and Orlando don't have much to contribute. The most famous native of Vegas is Jenna Jameson for crying out loud. Are we comparing her influence to John D. Rockefeller's? Henry Flagler was partner #2 of Standard Oil, and without him Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Palm Beach, and Miami, and arguably the rest of FL including Orlando would not be what they are today (and that's just one thing he did).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City