Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2015, 07:23 AM

6,724 posts, read 6,711,443 times

Advertisements

Living in DC, I go to Virginia far more often than Maryland, just seems to be a lot more going on in Northern VA than Suburban MD. I don't know many people who live or work in MD, the border's a couple miles from my house, and don't think I cross it more than once or twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 07:27 AM

6,724 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore is on the up and up aside from crime, which is major issue.
Just 800 housing permits issued last year in Baltimore. (vs. nearly 5,000 in DC) Not just the insanely high homicide rate you have, but all the abandoned buildings.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:37 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernest Southernest C View Post
I agree
BALTIMORE | Harbor Point | Prep
BALTIMORE | Four Seasons Baltimore & LEGG Mason tower | 494ft | 44 fl | 350ft | U/C
Downtown Development Report (2015)
Baltimore Development News
Washington Monument Restoration (Baltimore)
plus a new 500 footer that will be under construction soon
Lifted from The Daily Record...
414 Light St.
Steve Gorn, president and CEO of Questar, the property’s developer, said the proposed 500-foot tower is on track to break ground in late July or early August this year. The project, which will include 392 luxury-apartments and 12,500 square feet of retail space, is expected to cost about $150 million and is expected to be delivered in the spring of 2017. The building will be one of the tallest in Baltimore, just shy of the 529-foot mark of the Transamerica building
Here's the whole article...http://thedailyrecord.com/2015/05/26...s+move+forward
Nice pics. We need something like Harbor Point in Norfolk.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:07 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
It would have been interesting to see what that looked like. Way before my time. I heard that Church st was a miniature version of Harlem back then. Not sure how true that is, but it looks like Norfolk overall was like any other city, just with shorter buildings.

By the time I had moved here they were removing the housing projects in Portsmouth and building the Cheesecake Factory out in Town Center.
Yes, I have heard from older people in the area that Church street "had anything a black man ever needed" back in the days. Lol. According to reports, Church Street had 3,000 to 5,000 homes that were demolished and replaced with nothing. Here is an article that expounds on the topic of Church Street in Norfolk. Documentary shows different Church Street | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Norfolk buildings never had the height of some other cities, but the city appeared much more dense before urban renewal.

This picture is Church Street in the 1940's. It is sad I cannot recognize anything from the picture.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Yes, I have heard from older people in the area that Church street "had anything a black man ever needed" back in the days. Lol. According to reports, Church Street had 3,000 to 5,000 homes that were demolished and replaced with nothing. Here is an article that expounds on the topic of Church Street in Norfolk. Documentary shows different Church Street | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Norfolk buildings never had the height of some other cities, but the city appeared much more dense before urban renewal.

This picture is Church Street in the 1940's. It is sad I cannot recognize anything from the picture.
3,000 to 5,000 homes? Sobering. Not sure if there are even 100 homes on that street now.

What is more likely to happen, is that Ghent grows, and it takes over Church St. Then people will be complaining about gentrification. This is how I see Norfolk growing in the future.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 AM

386 posts, read 986,181 times
Quote:
3,000 to 5,000 homes? Sobering. Not sure if there are even 100 homes on that street now.

What is more likely to happen, is that Ghent grows, and it takes over Church St. Then people will be complaining about gentrification. This is how I see Norfolk growing in the future.
Yes, it is not too surprising if you look at the picture posted of the area in the 1940's; the neighborhood looked like it could have been in Philadelphia. Are you able to see the photo? If not, here is a link to the picture: http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...eetnorfolk.jpg. Most of the homes in the picture appeared to be row-homes or multi-family duplexes. I do not recognize any single structure from the picture, because 98% of the area was destroyed. I believe a key to Norfolk's success is to revitalize the other urban areas of the city besides Ghent (Park Place, Lamberts Point, Riverview, etc). If you research the history of the area, East Ghent was one of the worst slums in Norfolk before 1960, so it can be done with proper foresight and planning. Honestly, I'm not sure if the area will ever experience mass gentrification because of the transient military influence; most people seem more interested in the newer construction in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/York County as opposed to rebuilding Norfolk, or the urban areas of Portsmouth and Newport News.

Last edited by Kbank007; 05-31-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbank007 View Post
Yes, it is not too surprising if you look at the picture posted of the area in the 1940's; the neighborhood looked like it could have been in Philadelphia. Are you able to see the photo? If not, here is a link to the picture: http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...eetnorfolk.jpg. Most of the homes in the picture appeared to be row-homes or multi-family duplexes. I do not recognize any single structure from the picture, because 98% of the area was destroyed. I believe a key to Norfolk's success is to revitalize the other urban areas of the city besides Ghent (Park Place, Lamberts Point, Riverview, etc). If you research the history of the area, East Ghent was one of the worst slums in Norfolk before 1960, so it can be done with proper foresight and planning. Honestly, I'm not sure if the area will ever experience mass gentrification because of the transient military influence; most people seem more interested in the newer construction in Virginia Beach/Chesapeake/York County as opposed to rebuilding Norfolk, or the urban areas of Portsmouth and Newport News.
There are apartment complexes going up throughout the city and some gentrification going on. A lot of these complexes there are few, if any, amenities nearby, so there is some interest. But I doubt it will be anything that could replace the infrastructure on the level of what we see in that picture. Also keep in mind, that for as many apartments go up in Norfolk, a similar amount of hotels and motels go up as well. I know that people sometimes live in those motels; I found myself in that situation for a few months.

You are correct that people are more interested in the newer construction in Virginia Beach and Chesapeake. I'm not sure what is going on out in York County so I can't speak on it. In order to get that true hipster vibe Norfolk would have to reinvent itself into something other than a military town. HR's greatest challenge, will be in trying to find a way for the military to co-exist, while it transforms itself into something other than a military area. Efforts to do so have had mixed results and are often met with resistance, which is a large reason why diversity in this area is underground, and on a smaller scale (seemingly) than what you experience in other metropolitan areas.

I still believe that a professional sports franchise, even though I am not a paying supporter of professional sports, would be a move in the right direction. This has to be the largest region in America that does not have a professional team.

What I don't understand is that DC, with its federal influence, has still managed to pack a host of other things and activities into that town. Some might say that money has a lot to do with it and that people have more discretionary income but there are people with discretionary income here too.

You make a good point about Ghent. I mentioned Ghent because of its proximity to Church St, but as you mentioned, Norfolk has to start to revitalize other areas. They have done some interesting things where that new Harris Teeter is located. Can't remember the name of the neighborhood. Still feels 'hood over there but it is a lot nicer than it was when I first moved here. Neighborhoods can only get but so large, and this thing has to become contagious and spread out to other neighborhoods in other for the city to be taken seriously. Having said all of that Norfolk is still a very interesting city; not on the level of Baltimore or Philadelphia but if it does well with the little bit of land it has it should be okay.

Last edited by goofy328; 05-31-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-31-2015, 10:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I still believe that a professional sports franchise, even though I am not a paying supporter of professional sports, would be a move in the right direction. This has to be the largest region in America that does not have a professional team.
In terms of major league professional sports teams, I believe Austin, TX would be the largest metro without one with Hampton Roads right behind it.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
In terms of major league professional sports teams, I believe Austin, TX would be the largest metro without one with Hampton Roads right behind it.
Good point. I knew that city was growing, but d*mn! Might hit one million before 2020.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:47 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,545,201 times
It's important to note that Austin is in a state that has multiple professional sports teams. Virginia has *none*.

Also, those pictures look like nothing in Norfolk! That's bizarre. I don't understand how Norfolk keeps getting destroyed XD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City