U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:24 AM

746 posts, read 1,452,205 times

Advertisements

Every person claiming "revitalization" and "renewal" in Detroit needs to watch this video.
I'm sorry, but the area is dead. Even the 2010 census said it was the only state to lose population.

there might be pockets of money, yes, but overall the area is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
But it still has some dead parts. Not saying that all of Detroit is like this but people don't call it dead for a reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6WKMNmFsxM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_gateway View Post
Every person claiming "revitalization" and "renewal" in Detroit needs to watch this video.
I'm sorry, but the area is dead. Even the 2010 census said it was the only state to lose population.

there might be pockets of money, yes, but overall the area is done.
lmao idiot I live here. I know what's going on smh. Have you ever been here? smh

do your research before you talk

Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,700,060 times
yep no "revitalization" going on

List of Projects (just of few for the non-believers smh)

Projects Database Search

Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 AM

191 posts, read 713,173 times
For a city to be dead it can't be one of the major cities with 100s of thousands of people. It has to be quiet, small, and DEAD and I mean DEAD. Like Brownsville, Pennsylvania: Brownsville, PA: "Ghosts of 'The Neck'"

Old 01-03-2011, 10:53 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,697,940 times
More great reviews of Cleveland ...

Cleveland's going up: New projects, pioneers poised to give city a lift: Joe Frolik | cleveland.com

Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,697,940 times
More about the strengths of Cleveland ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqLkC...eature=related

Old 01-03-2011, 03:35 PM

2,554 posts, read 5,835,336 times
Major construction on the mall started today. Construction cranes are going to be everywhere.

I really haven't seen Cleveland mentioned too much in this thread, and really doesn't belong in here, so I hope my post is the last one to mention Cleveland in either negative or a postive light.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:09 AM

3,844 posts, read 7,803,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I don't know if it's mentioned yet, but Cairo, Illinois.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJW8lOzJJPE
WOW...looks almost like a Hollywood set.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:48 PM

5,805 posts, read 8,317,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm not very familiar with Pittsburgh. But, from what I've heard, it sounds like most of Pittsburgh's decline happened in its suburbs, and so the city was mostly spared from the urban decline felt by other rust belt cities.
Like others have said - Pittsburgh population loss figures are a unique situation that leads to an old misconceptions from the Steel Bust days that people are fleeing...where they're not

Pittsburgh's educated labor-force is actually growing quite significantly with a low unemployment rate to boot.

The problem is Pittsburgh because of it being the capital of Steel now as the 2nd highest elderly population in the USA only behind Broward County FL....This elderly population is dying off quicker than the city can gain population (births and inward migration)..now Pittsburgh has been shown to have the higher inward migration but not enought offset the elderly deaths...

But the trend seems to be coming to and end for the Burgh, meaning either the old people have slowed down dying and are living longer, or enough inward migration is taking place to ever so slightly eclipes the deaths....

Hey Google went from a 10 person staff to now planning a workforce of 500 in its Pittsburgh offices...

The Burgh definiently isn't dying....its reinventing

Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 AM

4,779 posts, read 7,338,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Like others have said - Pittsburgh population loss figures are a unique situation that leads to an old misconceptions from the Steel Bust days that people are fleeing...where they're not

Pittsburgh's educated labor-force is actually growing quite significantly with a low unemployment rate to boot.

The problem is Pittsburgh because of it being the capital of Steel now as the 2nd highest elderly population in the USA only behind Broward County FL....This elderly population is dying off quicker than the city can gain population (births and inward migration)..now Pittsburgh has been shown to have the higher inward migration but not enought offset the elderly deaths...

But the trend seems to be coming to and end for the Burgh, meaning either the old people have slowed down dying and are living longer, or enough inward migration is taking place to ever so slightly eclipes the deaths....

Hey Google went from a 10 person staff to now planning a workforce of 500 in its Pittsburgh offices...

The Burgh definiently isn't dying....its reinventing
I understand what you're saying about population. I don't buy into the concept of "dying" cities at all, anyway. But I was responding to the parts of rranger's post in bold, below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Alleghenyangel: I think people who've never been to Pittsburgh simply are not capable of understanding the dynamic. It is truly unique in the US. It has suffered severe population decline (though not as bad as cities like Detroit, Cleveland or St. Louis in sheer numbers). And yet, it really is not - pardon the pun - a "pit".

Pittsburgh has a beautiful, vibrant downtown, relatively low crime rate, and very little of the kind of outright desolation affecting large parts of Detroit, almost the entire northern half of St. Louis and much of the east end of Cleveland. The areas of desolation in Pittsburgh are the same ones that have been affected for decades, namely, the lower Hill District, E. Liberty, Homewood-Brushton, and parts of the North Side.

So, I think it's really hard to convey how unlike the other cities on the list Pittsburgh is unless people have been there. Lots of people still want to live in the city - not just the suburbs.
I was asking if most people preferred to live in the city, because the suburbs saw more of the decline than the city, itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or