U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:40 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,709,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Dying cities
New Orleans
Youngstown
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Flint
Cleveland
Scranton
Charleston, WV
Dayton
Detroit

Numbers don't lie all these cities are still losing people at the metropolitan level.
are you that damn stupid

many people have actually moved back to NO since Katrina, and besides the biggest event has yet to stop. Detroit has 900,000 people still and if you actually look at the numbers people weren't really leaving in droves before the recession AND if you do your research you'd know that since the early 2000s there have many improvements to Detroit (and Cleveland as well). Loss of population is only one part btw. People are leaving some of everywhere in searh of one thing.......JOBS! until Detroit successfully diversify its economy people will continue leave in search of jobs. I don't know much about the rest of the cities to speak but I wouldn't call any of them "dying" or "dead". Have you ever even been to any of the cities you named? you could have kept your little negative ass comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 11:43 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,709,399 times
I don't understand how people can be so damn negative about cities they don't live in. If you don't like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Youngstown etc then don't eff'n speak on them. You should worry about your own damn city because I'm pretty damn sure it isn't as "great" as you think

Old 12-16-2010, 11:47 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,321,611 times
^ Those photos of Detroit were taken during some huge events, I don't think that counts.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:03 AM

759 posts, read 1,623,884 times
Quote:
Dying cities
Numbers don't lie all these cities are still losing people at the metropolitan level.
Again, this is false.

Metro Detroit has a stagnant population, not a declining one. It's peak population was in 2006 or something, and has come down by a few thousand, but is still ahead of the 2000 population.

And Cleveland is pretty much stagnant too.

Scranton, on the metropolitan level, is actually growing. It's now basically a far exurb of NYC, and they're even adding commuter rail to NYC.

Some of the cities you listed, however, are losing population at the metropolitan level. Pittsburgh and Youngston, yes, definitely.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:11 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,290,201 times
If we just mean "declining" the following metros apparently declined at a fairly high rate in the 2000s.

Steubenville-Weirton
Ocean City, New Jersey
Decatur, Illinois
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Wheeling, West Virginia

Johnstown and Wheeling do look to be noticeably smaller than at their height, but I'm not saying that means they're "dead." Of larger cities Buffalo, as a metro not just as a city, looks to have been in fairly constant decline since the 1980s. However I'm certainly not saying it's dead, it even looks to be below average in unemployment. Of the five above Steubenville-Weirton looks the worst of these on unemployment rate.

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

Going back to smaller among micropolitan areas the following look to be among those that had fairly large declines in the 2000s.

Helena/West-Helena, Arkansas
Tallulah, Louisiana
Pecos, Texas
Indianola, Mississippi
Altus, Oklahoma

Last edited by Thomas R.; 12-17-2010 at 05:23 AM..

Old 12-17-2010, 09:07 AM

52,825 posts, read 75,853,032 times
Quote:
Dying cities
New Orleans
Youngstown
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Flint
Cleveland
Scranton
Charleston, WV
Dayton
Detroit

Actually, all of those cities have revamped and very stable areas as well. People forget that the suburbanization of America has a lot to do with the decline in population for these cities. So, it's not necessarily that the whole area is declining, but many people just move to suburbs and small towns just outside of those cities, in and outside of the metro boundaries.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 AM

52,825 posts, read 75,853,032 times
Here's an example of what I'm talking about with Buffalo: Elmwood Village - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau

The Elmwood Village Association

Allentown Association

AllenStreet.com... Buffalo's Allen Street District

Parkside Community Association |

Buffalobarfly - Buffalo's Source for nightlife & entertainment (Last call at 4 AM)

Hertel Has It!

buffalo parkside - Google Maps

buffalo starin central - Google Maps

buffalo allen - Google Maps

Old 12-17-2010, 09:54 AM

5,716 posts, read 14,253,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
^ Those photos of Detroit were taken during some huge events, I don't think that counts.
Why would a dead city have huge events?

Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM

687 posts, read 1,335,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Again, this is false.

Metro Detroit has a stagnant population, not a declining one. It's peak population was in 2006 or something, and has come down by a few thousand, but is still ahead of the 2000 population.

And Cleveland is pretty much stagnant too.

Scranton, on the metropolitan level, is actually growing. It's now basically a far exurb of NYC, and they're even adding commuter rail to NYC.

Some of the cities you listed, however, are losing population at the metropolitan level. Pittsburgh and Youngston, yes, definitely.
That simply is not correct. The Detroit MSA had a population of 4,441,551 in the 2000 census. The 2009 census estimates have the Detroit MSA's population at 4,403,437--a loss of almost 40,000 since 2000.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:26 AM

10,334 posts, read 10,497,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I don't understand how people can be so damn negative about cities they don't live in. If you don't like Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Youngstown etc then don't eff'n speak on them. You should worry about your own damn city because I'm pretty damn sure it isn't as "great" as you think
I think you may be taking it too personally. It's just a matter of opinion. Why should you let it bother you if someone else doesn't like Detroit or thinks it's "dead". You've started a great discussion on the matter, but some people will not be convinced, no matter what. Why waste your time worrying about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or