U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:57 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,704,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The only thing missing there is the tumbleweed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 06:59 PM

970 posts, read 2,543,067 times
I live in the city of Detroit. In a very nice neighborhood. The neighborhood in the 1st and 2nd photos up there, actually. I have a beautiful home overlooking the Detroit River. I send my four children to a very nice private school, within the city, where they receive an excellent education. My proximity to downtown allows me to visit a world-class museum, or go to a Tigers, Lions, or Red Wings game any time I please. I can purchase the freshest food imaginable at Eastern Market. Me and my family can take a walk or bike ride on the scenic Dequindre Cut.

And, not that it matters, but I AM white.

Also, I've never been the victim of a crime, other than my youngest son's bicycle being stolen from my driveway at nighttime.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:06 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,704,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I live in the city of Detroit. In a very nice neighborhood. The neighborhood in the 1st and 2nd photos up there, actually. I have a beautiful home overlooking the Detroit River. I send my four children to a very nice private school, within the city, where they receive an excellent education. My proximity to downtown allows me to visit a world-class museum, or go to a Tigers, Lions, or Red Wings game any time I please. I can purchase the freshest food imaginable at Eastern Market. Me and my family can take a walk or bike ride on the scenic Dequindre Cut.

And, not that it matters, but I AM white.

Also, I've never been the victim of a crime, other than my youngest son's bicycle being stolen from my driveway at nighttime.
Hey Remisc, if you don't mind me asking what school do your children attend. I've become really interested in some of the schools in the city (although I don't have any children yet lol). Personally from research and personal experiences, I like Gesu, University Prep, U of D high, Loyola (from what I hear) and couple of others.

btw How is the Marina District coming along for you?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 PM

4,784 posts, read 7,351,995 times
"Dead" Youngstown:

Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 3,333,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
St. Louis seems to fit this description as well. Also peaking in 1950 at 856,000 the city now has only 350,000, but that number was lower a few years ago. So it appears that St. Louis has leveled off and may even be on the upswing. And the city does have a great downtown area, despite a lot of blight immediately outside of downtown.
"Upswing" is the perfect word! St Louis has really started to turn itself around in the past decade. Granted, it's been slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
In the years 2000-2009, the city's population grew by 6,889 to 355,078. Over $1 billion dollars has been invested in downtown. There has been significant revitalization in neighborhoods and business districts throughout the city. And the median family income rose from $32,585 to $41,349.
By the way, that population increase came strictly out of increased density, not by land annexation.
There's still a lot of room for continued improvement in St Louis. But it's a relief that the city has finally turned the corner after decades of free-falling.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,264,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
"Dead" Youngstown:
I tried to avoid describing the "metros/micros with declining population" I named as dead, but it might be neat to see defense of them anyway. Granted I chose places smaller than most, but if Youngstown can be defended why not? Although one reason "why not" might be that I didn't mean to attack them as such but it still might be neat to see a defender.

Cities I selected going by the census were

Metros

Steubenville-Weirton
Ocean City, New Jersey
Decatur, Illinois
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Wheeling, West Virginia

Micros

Helena/West-Helena, Arkansas
Tallulah, Louisiana
Pecos, Texas
Indianola, Mississippi
Altus, Oklahoma

I have heard good things about Wheeling.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:01 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,224,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
"Dead" Youngstown:

I see a handful of people in those pics. How does that prove Youngstown is thriving and vibrant?

Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 PM

24,683 posts, read 43,224,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
That neighbourhood looks bleak and deserted to me.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:07 PM

3,844 posts, read 7,812,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
"Upswing" is the perfect word! St Louis has really started to turn itself around in the past decade. Granted, it's been slow progress, but progress nonetheless.
In the years 2000-2009, the city's population grew by 6,889 to 355,078. Over $1 billion dollars has been invested in downtown. There has been significant revitalization in neighborhoods and business districts throughout the city. And the median family income rose from $32,585 to $41,349.
By the way, that population increase came strictly out of increased density, not by land annexation.
There's still a lot of room for continued improvement in St Louis. But it's a relief that the city has finally turned the corner after decades of free-falling.

Good post

Old 12-19-2010, 11:21 PM

970 posts, read 2,543,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That neighbourhood looks bleak and deserted to me.
I live in that neighborhood. Sure, there's not alot of people walking around, but every home is occupied, and the homes are well maintained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or