U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 10:03 PM

445 posts, read 692,017 times
Talking Which state has the worst DMV and why?

I'm sure I will have a lot of people jump right in and tell me why their state has the worst DMV but I am curious to hear from people who have lived in more than one state and can compare different states DMV's in a sort of side by side manner. Here is mine.

I loved the Nevada DMV. Sure I had to wait like at every DMV but it wasn't crazy long. I went in w/ the forms they told me I would need. At the time when I was doing this you didn't need proof of residence I don't know if that has changed or not now. Anyway they asked my address and I told them. I took a vision test and turned in my old license. I paid my sixty bucks and they printed it out right there and handed it to me. After I had moved away from Nevada I was living in Oregon and I needed a copy of my 3 year driving report. No sweat I just got on the Nevada DMV site and paid $7 via credit card and was able to print it out right there on my printer.DONE DONE DONE. Nevada DMV IMO just gets things DONE.

After this I moved to Oregon. Oregon seems to be on the exact opposite end of the speedometer as far as getting things done. First of all I had to wait for a couple of pieces of mail from certain places such as financial institutions etc.... just to prove that I lived at the address in Oregon. Next I had to take a 32 question test on a computer (Yes it's jacked up enough that you have to study for it) even though I already had a valid license that I was surrendering from another US state. After all of this they give me this retarded piece of paper that is supposed to be my temporary license and I have to wait about two weeks and I finally get my real license in the mail. Now I have moved away from Oregon but my new employer here in Florida wants a 3 year driving record. I thought I would be able to print it from the DMV sight but then I remembered that I was dealing w/ the state of Oregon. You can't just get things done with the state of Oregon, they love their formalities. There is no option to do this on their sight. You have to print a form off the internet and then mail it in and wait for them to mail it back to you. Congrats Oregon, you are officially the big dumb kid in the class sitting in the corner that just doesn't seem to get it.

So that's my comparison of a couple of DMV's side by side. Nevada's may have changed as I haven't lived there for a couple of years but from my personal experience in both states the Nevada DMV rocks and the Oregon DMV is a joke. Either way what are some of your states DMV's compared side by side and in your opinion who's sucks the most who's is the best and for what reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 PM

4,939 posts, read 3,293,188 times
Definitely California. I've never met the most rudest and understaffed people in my life. They bring their attitudes from home onto work.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,877,003 times
California is also the worst I ever experienced. I went and bought an AAA membership once and traveled to their office for car registration b/c DMV is such a mess to do it.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 PM

24 posts, read 49,190 times
Vermont. Only 1 full-service location in Montpelier, and a trailer that drives around the state from town to town.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:15 PM

5,269 posts, read 5,752,095 times
They are all bad and pretty much societies great equalizers. Rich or Poor you enter a DMV office and you feel like a sub human-Orwellian-prole.

I once got caught up in a DMV bureaucracy between the NY and CA Office. It took 7 months to straighten out a problem because of an error made in NY.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:32 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,372,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juxtaposition109 View Post
I'm sure I will have a lot of people jump right in and tell me why their state has the worst DMV but I am curious to hear from people who have lived in more than one state and can compare different states DMV's in a sort of side by side manner. Here is mine.

I loved the Nevada DMV. Sure I had to wait like at every DMV but it wasn't crazy long. I went in w/ the forms they told me I would need. At the time when I was doing this you didn't need proof of residence I don't know if that has changed or not now. Anyway they asked my address and I told them. I took a vision test and turned in my old license. I paid my sixty bucks and they printed it out right there and handed it to me. After I had moved away from Nevada I was living in Oregon and I needed a copy of my 3 year driving report. No sweat I just got on the Nevada DMV site and paid $7 via credit card and was able to print it out right there on my printer.DONE DONE DONE. Nevada DMV IMO just gets things DONE.

After this I moved to Oregon. Oregon seems to be on the exact opposite end of the speedometer as far as getting things done. First of all I had to wait for a couple of pieces of mail from certain places such as financial institutions etc.... just to prove that I lived at the address in Oregon. Next I had to take a 32 question test on a computer (Yes it's jacked up enough that you have to study for it) even though I already had a valid license that I was surrendering from another US state. After all of this they give me this retarded piece of paper that is supposed to be my temporary license and I have to wait about two weeks and I finally get my real license in the mail. Now I have moved away from Oregon but my new employer here in Florida wants a 3 year driving record. I thought I would be able to print it from the DMV sight but then I remembered that I was dealing w/ the state of Oregon. You can't just get things done with the state of Oregon, they love their formalities. There is no option to do this on their sight. You have to print a form off the internet and then mail it in and wait for them to mail it back to you. Congrats Oregon, you are officially the big dumb kid in the class sitting in the corner that just doesn't seem to get it.

So that's my comparison of a couple of DMV's side by side. Nevada's may have changed as I haven't lived there for a couple of years but from my personal experience in both states the Nevada DMV rocks and the Oregon DMV is a joke. Either way what are some of your states DMV's compared side by side and in your opinion who's sucks the most who's is the best and for what reasons?

Hopefully you'll never have to use the Denver DMV..They are the worse ever.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:36 PM

546 posts, read 592,977 times
What I don't like about the process in Pennsylvania is that you can't get your plates at the DMV office. You have to go to a notary who sells them. It makes it more of a hassle than it should be.

The employees at my local DMV were also some of the most unpleasant people I ever dealt with. The notary guy was just as grumpy.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:13 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,090,148 times
I don't think you can list an entire states DMV as best or worst. The worse DMV I ever set foot into was in Gaylord, MI, the best is in Ludington, MI. I've NEVER been in the Ludington office for more than 10 minutes total, plus the people are pleasant and very helpful. The one in Gaylord just made me want to drag the person over the counter and beat them to a pulp.

The one I was in, in Mass was pretty bad. One I went to in Maine was bad (Bangor), the other was great (Caribou); almost as quick and friendly as the one in Ludington, MI.

I think it is more office to office, than state to state.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 PM

12,146 posts, read 21,090,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
What I don't like about the process in Pennsylvania is that you can't get your plates at the DMV office. You have to go to a notary who sells them. It makes it more of a hassle than it should be.
That's screwed up. LOL

Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM

313 posts, read 861,980 times
which state has the best dmv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City