Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:49 AM

469 posts, read 1,174,984 times

Advertisements

Indianapolis is very sprawling and is the hub of several interstate spokes. This represents the worst of what many sunbelt cities have to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 11:00 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,914,912 times
The built environment of Columbus, Ohio and its suburbs resemble a Sunbelt city a lot more than its rusty, post industrial neighbors like Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, etc. The architecture is decidedly modern and the area has a lot of modern freeways, office parks and newer subdivisions. But Columbus is still a Northern/Midwest city with bitterly cold and gray winters.

I've not sure if Washington DC and Northern Virginia count as the snowbelt but that area physically looks kind of like Charlotte or Atlanta (excluding historic DC of course) despite being culturally and politically Northeastern. Nearby Baltimore has a complete Rust Belt feeling. At least being from the Deep South, I find winters there to be very long and brutal.

Old 07-17-2023, 01:34 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,987,814 times
The Tri-Cities of WA have the whole "massive suburb" thing going on. MSA population of 311k and there's no real downtown or urbanity at all --- just the three "small town" style downtowns, each one maybe two blocks long.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:36 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,282,856 times
Columbus-Raleigh always comes to mind.

Old 07-17-2023, 07:34 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post

2)Miami-New York (lots of New Yorkers in Miami plus they're both confined to small portions of land giving them their building up pattern)
NYC is "confined to small portions of land??" Since when?
I suggest you fly into NYC and look out the window during approach. It's a massive urban blob. The complete opposite of Miami, which pops up out of nowhere when approaching from the West.

As for building patterns, I still don't see any similarities. I'm assuming you're going by Downtown/Brickell vs Midtown Manhattan? I still don't see it. There are tall buildings. That's pretty much it. Miami's building up pattern is confined to a narrow strip along its shorelines. The rest of the city is low, dominated by SF houses and two-story apartment complexes. NYC is nothing like that, anywhere.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:10 AM

1,203 posts, read 790,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinbama View Post
Indianapolis is very sprawling and is the hub of several interstate spokes. This represents the worst of what many sunbelt cities have to offer
Depends on which part of Indy metro.

Some of the areas in the city (i.e. south of downtown in that "industrial wasteland" plus some areas east and west of downtown) is very rust belt feel and is really rundown.

On the other hand, you can put Hamilton County next to DFW and it'll fit right in. Giant ~1mi x 1mi super block form by arterials with sprawling cul-de-sac neighborhood filling in the middle. Add in Geist Reservoir being not too different from the gajillion lake in the northern part of DFW metroplex...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City