Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,353,510 times

Advertisements

I think someone mentioned this earlier but music can't be violent. Its music. The lyrics might involve violence, but lyrics have nothing to do with music. Just a pet peeve of mine...sorry for the rant.

Back to the topic, I'm not sure which city has the most violent scene but I would say the genre makes a huge difference no matter where you are. There are certain types of music that are popular with violent people (whether it's gangs, people angry with society, whatever) and certain bands are all about the "lifestyle" and not the actual music, so people arent going to simply enjoy the music. I don't consider Milwaukee's music scene to be violent overall, but I've been to some seriously violent shows. Definitely not something to be proud of as a city, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM

170 posts, read 347,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I think someone mentioned this earlier but music can't be violent. Its music. The lyrics might involve violence, but lyrics have nothing to do with music. Just a pet peeve of mine...sorry for the rant.

Back to the topic, I'm not sure which city has the most violent scene but I would say the genre makes a huge difference no matter where you are. There are certain types of music that are popular with violent people (whether it's gangs, people angry with society, whatever) and certain bands are all about the "lifestyle" and not the actual music, so people arent going to simply enjoy the music. I don't consider Milwaukee's music scene to be violent overall, but I've been to some seriously violent shows. Definitely not something to be proud of as a city, in my opinion.

Milwaukee off the chain. Not just in a bad way...I like the town.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:46 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagles123 View Post
As far as hip hop goes Philly is up there. I'll break it down... You got the mainstream guys, the underground guys, and the battle rappers.

The mainstream artists (Beanie Sigel, Cassidy, Freeway, Meek Mill, Eve, etc.) are all pretty violent when compared to other mainstream artists from other cities. One of the reasons Philly's mainstream presence isn't as big as a city like Atlanta is because most Philly rappers stick strictly to the topic of guns and being a thug and rarely venture out to do more "mainstream" or "pop-rap" type songs that come out these days. Most of them don't want too either and I don't blame them. (FYI: Freeway did convert to Islam now and is now completely against violence).

The underground scene is where it's at in Philly. You got guys/groups like Jedi Mind Tricks/Army of the Pharaohs, Last Emperor, Reef the Lost Cauze, Chief Kamachi, and many more. Most underground rappers in Philly have very violent lyrics with a political or underlying message behind it. Rapping about violent uprising and revolutions and things of that nature. Also you got plenty of the real dark stuff which is what I think puts Philly up there. Not just saying their going to kill someone but lyrics that go into great detail of how their going to kill them and how their going to mutilate the body after their dead, kinda like horrorcore.
Yeah, that stuff is pretty dark. Definitely up there in the more violent music I've heard.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM

492 posts, read 790,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRollin View Post
You're out of your mind. Certain clubs won't play certain songs because it will get the club shut down. I was in Knoxville one night in 01' and they played Tear the Club Up by 3-6 mafia. The atmosphere was cool all night...the club was shut down before the song ended. Chairs, bottles, tables were thrown. As we made our way to the car things had already made it outside. 3 people were shot that night. Play Tear the Club Up, Break The Law, North North part 2 in a club and see what happens.

I'd have to say Memphis hands down. Most of their rappers have dark eerie hardcore styles. To add to that, they started the "Gangster Walk" in Memphis in the 90's to go with their "horror" gangster rap. "Gangster Walk" is their version of a mosh pit, but it's amongst straight up gangsters...sometimes rival gangs. LOL, so if someone can't see that as a recipe for disaster then I don't know what to tell you. These Memphis crunk songs usually won't get played if you request them in a club, there's a reason for that. Tell a DJ to play the songs I listed above and see what they say. In Memphis the will play it because it's local artists. Perhaps Memphis is or is not the most violent music scene. But to downplay it and insinuate the music from there couldn't literally start a riot is laughable at best. They got some scary music out there. And they're not just rapping it, they're living it. If you play certain Memphis underground rap in Memphis hood clubs, there's a very high probability someone will die. I'm not condoning that happening. But I live in Tennessee, spent quite a bit of time in Mempho, and used to run the streets way hard. What I'm saying is in fact true. A song CAN...It CAN start an ugly situation in a club or concert setting.

I also remember stuff jumping off at a Snoop concert here in Knoxville. He sung 187 on a cop and things popped of. Police were chasing dudes and chicks thru the tunnel/consession area as they bailed outside. Fights broke out. Top Athority also performed here in the 90s which incited a really bad situation. So it can and does in fact happen.
This aint 2001. LMAO

Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 AM

170 posts, read 347,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
This aint 2001. LMAO
No it's not...it's worse than 2001 now. What I say is true, unless you can disprove it I'm not sure why you would clown on my word. Thank God I'm alive...I was an idiot knucklehead as a youngster. But I've been around several bar room/club brawls...bad ones. I've seen some start over songs. Believe what you wanna.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:06 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,741,344 times
You know what is sad about this thread? Music should not be associated with violence but it is because people blame the musicians instead of the perpetrators. People think they can blame violence on an art form and that is just sad. D.C. has all but kicked out most GoGo shows into the suburbs of PG county because they said they are too violent. Crazy thing is, the 21 and over crowd is not where the violence happens. It's the all ages welcome shows that have all the shooting and stabbings.

How Washington, D.C., Turned Its Back on Go-Go, the Music It Invented - Abdul Ali - The Atlantic

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2005Feb19.html

Last edited by MDAllstar; 02-19-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City