Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which areas are apart of Charlanta/Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion
East TN: Chattanooga, Knoxville, Tri-Cities 11 20.75%
Northern GA: Columbus, Augusta, Dalton 24 45.28%
Northern AL: Huntsville, Montgomery, Florence, Auburn 11 20.75%
Coastal Carolinas: Charleston, Myrtle Beach, Wilmington, Jacksonville 7 13.21%
Mainland Carolina: Florence,SC, Columbia, Sumter 23 43.40%
Just the Core 23 43.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,262,076 times

Advertisements

For all of my proud Southerners, urban planners, geographers, and cosmopolitans alike. I need your assessment and insight as of what metros are apart of the emerging(or already existing if you cheers), megaregion called Charlanta/Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. I think the core is pretty much self explanatory. It includes Raleigh-Durham, Piedmont Triad, Charlotte, Upstate,SC, Atlanta, and Birmingham as well as areas associated with these areas (Raleigh: Fayetteville, Greenville,Rocky Mount, and Goldsboro; Charlotte:Hickory; Upstate,SC: Asheville; Atlanta: Athens, Rome, and Macon; Birmingham:Tuscaloosa, Anniston, Gasden.)

However, does Charlanta/PAM include other areas. Here is how I will define the areas:
East TN: Chattanooga, Knoxville, Cleveland, Morristown, and Tri-Cities
Northern AL: Huntsville, Florence, Montgomery, Auburn
Northern GA: Columbus, Augusta, Dalton
Coastal Carolinas: Wilmington, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston
Mainland Carolinas: Columbia, Sumter, and Florence

If you think some of the metros from a region are a part of the megaregion vote for that region but explain what parts in your post. This will help me in my personal research, and I think this is great discussion. Here are some images.
Lights at Night in Char-lanta, the World's 8th Largest Mega-Region | Swamp Fox

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/userfi...ns.w.cover.pdf see pg. 27

Piedmont Atlantic - America 2050
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM

For the folks that voted, care to explain your reasoning? I'm surprised with all of the ATL boosters there hasn't been more comments.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:11 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,049,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
For the folks that voted, care to explain your reasoning? I'm surprised with all of the ATL boosters there hasn't been more comments.
ATL boosters? and

I wish you had a choice that include Augusta and Columbia basically Northern Georgia and the Mainland Carolina area (the piedmont and the fault line cities.), but I just went with the Mainland Carolina area. The East TN area couldn’t exist as part of the region without Dalton and North Georgia, Last the Carolina coast is not a part of megalopolis and it couldn’t be without the Mainland Carolina Area away. And there still be a gap from the fault line cities and the coast. So Mainland Carolina is the best choice to me.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:26 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,575,641 times
Columbus and Dalton for sure. Not sure about Augusta in that category just because it's a good ways east of Atlanta.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
ATL boosters? and

I wish you had a choice that include Augusta and Columbia basically Northern Georgia and the Mainland Carolina area (the piedmont and the fault line cities.), but I just went with the Mainland Carolina area. The East TN area couldn’t exist as part of the region without Dalton and North Georgia, Last the Carolina coast is not a part of megalopolis and it couldn’t be without the Mainland Carolina Area away. And there still be a gap from the fault line cities and the coast. So Mainland Carolina is the best choice to me.
Well, anytime Atlanta is mentioned it draws a crowd. I'm just saying, I figured for a region that is anchored so hard by Atlanta I would figure so many more would be commenting. I see what you're saying about Augusta and Columbia. You could have voted for both and explain which areas you meant. I definitely see Augusta and Columbia as part of the region. Columbia is well connected to Charlotte and Upstate and I know it appears more and more that Augusta and Columbia are joined at the hip.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,504 posts, read 15,018,647 times
Quote:
Well, anytime Atlanta is mentioned it draws a crowd. I'm just saying, I figured for a region that is anchored so hard by Atlanta I would figure so many more would be commenting. I see what you're saying about Augusta and Columbia. You could have voted for both and explain which areas you meant. I definitely see Augusta and Columbia as part of the region. Columbia is well connected to Charlotte and Upstate and I know it appears more and more that Augusta and Columbia are joined at the hip.
The suburban counties of Augusta and Columbia (Aiken and Lexington) touch each other. Then there's the I-20/I-77 corridor between Charlotte, Columbia, and Augusta.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:28 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,020,524 times
Quote:
For all of my proud Southerners, urban planners, geographers, and cosmopolitans alike. I need your assessment and insight as of what metros are apart of the emerging(or already existing if you cheers), megaregion called Charlanta/Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion. I think the core is pretty much self explanatory. It includes Raleigh-Durham, Piedmont Triad, Charlotte, Upstate,SC, Atlanta, and Birmingham as well as areas associated with these areas (Raleigh: Fayetteville, Greenville,Rocky Mount, and Goldsboro; Charlotte:Hickory; Upstate,SC: Asheville; Atlanta: Athens, Rome, and Macon; Birmingham:Tuscaloosa, Anniston, Gasden.)

However, does Charlanta/PAM include other areas. Here is how I will define the areas:
East TN: Chattanooga, Knoxville, Cleveland, Morristown, and Tri-Cities
Northern AL: Huntsville, Florence, Montgomery, Auburn
Northern GA: Columbus, Augusta, Dalton
Coastal Carolinas: Wilmington, Jacksonville, Myrtle Beach, and Charleston
Mainland Carolinas: Columbia, Sumter, and Florence

If you think some of the metros from a region are a part of the megaregion vote for that region but explain what parts in your post. This will help me in my personal research, and I think this is great discussion. Here are some images.
Lights at Night in Char-lanta, the World's 8th Largest Mega-Region | Swamp Fox

http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca/userfi...ns.w.cover.pdf see pg. 27

Piedmont Atlantic - America 2050
Interesting links but they have information that is in conflict with each other. For instance, the Richard Florida piece has the population much higher than the last link. The Char-Lanta definition is confusing as well because it doesn't appear to expressly include anything in NC east of Charlotte. Then the larger map seems to include much more than I originally thought. I am also wondering if there is a significance to that circle that appears on the first graphic.
Lots of questions...not as many clear answers.

I tend to agree with the Piedmont map rather than the expanded Char-Lanta map. Now that I think of it, maybe that expanded Char-Lanta map is where the larger population is derived??? If so, I think it's a stretch to consider it all part of one mega-region.

When I think of the interconnectedness of cities/metros into a mega-region, I tend to think of how the places between places are developing and identifying. For instance, the counties between Durham and Greensboro in NC feel like a connecting area to me. Are they part of the Triad? Are they part of the Triangle? It's this fuzziness that makes me mentally connect the Triangle to the Triad. I think that connection feels stronger to me than the one from the Triad to Charlotte but I can see it begining to happen as development marches North from Charlotte up I-85 toward the Triad. Eventually, I can see it feeling much like the area between the Triad and Triangle.

I haven't been South of Charlotte toward Greenville/Spartanburg in years. Does Charlotte feel connected to Upstate SC or is it some years off? Likewise, is the Upstate connecting to Atlanta in the same way?

In the end, if there are many tens of miles of undeveloped/sparsely developed land between metros, it's hard for me to think of them as connected.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:03 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,913,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I haven't been South of Charlotte toward Greenville/Spartanburg in years. Does Charlotte feel connected to Upstate SC or is it some years off? Likewise, is the Upstate connecting to Atlanta in the same way?.
I had the pleasure, for lack of a better word, of living in the Upstate for a while. Connected to Charlotte you ask...? MSA/CSA wise heck no, it's probably decades off, if it'll ever even happen (which I doubt). Even though I could get to Charlotte in just over an hour, after heading north on I-85 for about 5 minutes I was so far out in no man's land, that it was hard to believe the emerging metropolis of Charlotte was less than 80 miles away. So as far as connectedness goes, I can see how many folks in the region might consider Charlotte their "big city" and talk about weekend excursions to see the Panthers, go shopping, or whatnot, but in actuality, most people I knew just went to Greenville or did the 3 hour shot into Atlanta for big metro amenities.

Edit: Forgot to mention though that economically, they are probably more connected than anything else.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 12-22-2010 at 06:05 AM.. Reason: missed info

Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Interesting links but they have information that is in conflict with each other. For instance, the Richard Florida piece has the population much higher than the last link. The Char-Lanta definition is confusing as well because it doesn't appear to expressly include anything in NC east of Charlotte. Then the larger map seems to include much more than I originally thought. I am also wondering if there is a significance to that circle that appears on the first graphic.
Lots of questions...not as many clear answers.

I tend to agree with the Piedmont map rather than the expanded Char-Lanta map. Now that I think of it, maybe that expanded Char-Lanta map is where the larger population is derived??? If so, I think it's a stretch to consider it all part of one mega-region.

When I think of the interconnectedness of cities/metros into a mega-region, I tend to think of how the places between places are developing and identifying. For instance, the counties between Durham and Greensboro in NC feel like a connecting area to me. Are they part of the Triad? Are they part of the Triangle? It's this fuzziness that makes me mentally connect the Triangle to the Triad. I think that connection feels stronger to me than the one from the Triad to Charlotte but I can see it begining to happen as development marches North from Charlotte up I-85 toward the Triad. Eventually, I can see it feeling much like the area between the Triad and Triangle.

I haven't been South of Charlotte toward Greenville/Spartanburg in years. Does Charlotte feel connected to Upstate SC or is it some years off? Likewise, is the Upstate connecting to Atlanta in the same way?

In the end, if there are many tens of miles of undeveloped/sparsely developed land between metros, it's hard for me to think of them as connected.
The Richard Florida article does include areas east of Charlotte. I think it is named Charlanta because: 1. the name fits and is catchy 2. Charlotte is the biggest city on the east side of the megaregion, and Atlanta is the largest city west of the megaregion. I have divided the region into the Charlotte-Raleigh region(the Carolinas) and the Atlanta-Birmingham region (northern GA and Al respectively.

I agree moreso with the expanded Charlanta map than the limited PAM map (which actually tends to include all of the states if you read the article by Georgia Tech). My reason is when you look at the lights at night you see that East TN seems just as connected to the region as Raleigh to Birmingham. Being a Charlotte native I see a connection between Columbia and Upstate. Also I know that Asheville and Upstate share a DMA amd from the lights (and as nortonguy has alluded to) you can see Augusta and Columbia growing towards each other. My only question is how connected the coastal areas are to the rest of the region?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I had the pleasure, for lack of a better word, of living in the Upstate for a while. Connected to Charlotte you ask...? MSA/CSA wise heck no, it's probably decades off, if it'll ever even happen (which I doubt). Even though I could get to Charlotte in just over an hour, after heading north on I-85 for about 5 minutes I was so far out in no man's land, that it was hard to believe the emerging metropolis of Charlotte was less than 80 miles away. So as far as connectedness goes, I can see how many folks in the region might consider Charlotte their "big city" and talk about weekend excursions to see the Panthers, go shopping, or whatnot, but in actuality, most people I knew just went to Greenville or did the 3 hour shot into Atlanta for big metro amenities.

Edit: Forgot to mention though that economically, they are probably more connected than anything else.
How long ago was it that you were in Upstate? I think now there is more connection than you might think. Of course Western NC is a little bit more rural, but there is some rapid development of the areas towards each other. And you're definitely right about the economic ties. I think that is probably the best gauge of the megaregion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City