U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 127 32.56%
LA 60 15.38%
DC 38 9.74%
Philly 107 27.44%
Boston 58 14.87%
Voters: 390. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:16 PM

2,599 posts, read 1,225,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Not necessarily. But when a city of 500 sq miles (and God knows how big in the entire urban area) is dominated by SFH areas to such an extent that it does not have a single pocket of 2 mile radius without them, does that not say something about how urban that city is?
Yes. It says that area has a mix of housing. The end.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:20 PM

8,329 posts, read 4,169,472 times
Quote:
Not necessarily. But when a city of 500 sq miles (and God knows how big in the entire urban area) is dominated by SFH areas to such an extent that it does not have a single pocket of 2 mile radius without them, does that not say something about how urban that city is?
Personally, in Central Los Angeles I think the SFH are not the problem with the lack of continuity in the urbanity. Many of the homes are historic, and very old, great examples of Craftsman, Mediterranean, Spanish Revival, etc.

The strip malls, parking lots and too-wide boulevards are the biggest problems, and have easy solutions. Road diets, reducing parking minimums (or putting it underground) and smart redevelopment are rapidly changing the urban fabric here. I've only lived here a year and things have changed for the better, and it is visually apparent.

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM

1,650 posts, read 846,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Yes. It says that area has a mix of housing. The end.
God nslander, you are so clever. How did I not think of that?

But if one area has a mix of housing with a substantial amount of SFHs and another area has a mix of housing with apt buildings, brownstones and other rowhouses, which area is more urban?

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Personally, in Central Los Angeles I think the SFH are not the problem with the lack of continuity in the urbanity. Many of the homes are historic, and very old, great examples of Craftsman, Mediterranean, Spanish Revival, etc.
For our some of our East Coast friends: the emboldened words are types of houses.

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:26 PM

47 posts, read 5,526 times
that's funny, because I end up thinking that people in la are not picky enough. some nice things come from the place, but so does a tremendous amount of junk. the fact remains that northeasterners take dense, walkable cities for granted
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I can't lie, if I'm in LA, and I see a crosswalk, and places of interest lined up and down Hollywood Blvd and Highland, the LAST thing I'll be thinking about is "Man, In NYC, we'd be at a steak and Hoagie place by now", "Man, where can I get some chowder like back in Boston". People from "up there" are too picky.

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:27 PM

1,650 posts, read 846,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

The strip malls, parking lots and too-wide boulevards are the biggest problems, and have easy solutions. Road diets, reducing parking minimums (or putting it underground) and smart redevelopment are rapidly changing the urban fabric here. I've only lived here a year and things have changed for the better, and it is visually apparent.

All true. I have to say though munchitup, your posts sometimes make me chuckle. You obviously want LA to change into something that it's not. It's not gonna happen! Not in our lifetime anyway. The strip malls, the parking lots, etc. -- that's LA's DNA. Embrace it pal, or get out.

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
God nslander, you are so clever. How did I not think of that?

But if one area has a mix of housing with a substantial amount of SFHs and another area has a mix of housing with apt buildings, brownstones and other rowhouses, which area is more urban?
Without using any other criteria, subjective or otherwise, whichever area is more densely populated.

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM

14,354 posts, read 6,971,133 times
Quote:
All true. I have to say though munchitup, your posts sometimes make me chuckle. You obviously want LA to change into something that it's not. It's not gonna happen! Not in our lifetime anyway. The strip malls, the parking lots, etc. -- that's LA's DNA. Embrace it pal, or get out.
Exactly. Why doesn't he just move to SF?

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
As somebody who has seen the city change over the last 30 years, please know you have no idea what you are talking about.

Unread 02-03-2012, 05:36 PM

8,329 posts, read 4,169,472 times
Quote:
The fact is that I keep up on development news in the city I live in.

Do you really think a parking lot is an immovable force? There was a parking lot here: West Hollywood, CA - Google Maps right around the corner from my house, will be this soon: Another Hollywood Evolution: 1800 Whitley Breaks Ground - Circle of Life - Curbed LA

Or a strip mall / drive through burger joint?

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...ul_la_life.php

Or how bout an ugly car oriented shopping center / strip mall?

WeHo's Jons-Replacing Mixed-Use Project Set to Start Next Month - DevelopmentWatch - Curbed LA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City