U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 128 32.65%
LA 60 15.31%
DC 38 9.69%
Philly 107 27.30%
Boston 59 15.05%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 03:01 PM

27,915 posts, read 14,160,756 times

Advertisements

I think judging by the rectangles (25th - 75th percentiles) is a better way to judge as it excludes outliers.

Boston and Philly's are very similar; Chicago's is lower (one of Chicago's line goes in an expressway median which probably lowers the score). BART still does better than the WMTA, so it can't just be cemetery stops, just too many outer suburb stops. Cleveland's metro is strange; poor design?

NYC subways (outside of the SIR and maybe a couple PATH stops) have no park and rides. Is the same true of the LA heavy rail metro? Philly outside of PATCO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:04 PM

8,979 posts, read 5,680,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think judging by the rectangles (25th - 75th percentiles) is a better way to judge as it excludes outliers.

Boston and Philly's are very similar; Chicago's is lower (one of Chicago's line goes in an expressway median which probably lowers the score). BART still does better than the WMTA, so it can't just be cemetery stops, just too many outer suburb stops. Cleveland's metro is strange; poor design?

NYC subways (outside of the SIR and maybe a couple PATH stops) have no park and rides. Is the same true of the LA heavy rail metro? Philly outside of PATCO?
I think there is a park and ride at the North Hollywood Station terminus, and maybe at Universal City, but other than that, no Park and Rides.

EDIT: Just checked, there are just the two for the Red Line. Of course the light rail system has a lot of them. If LA's light rail system was included (which is a slightly more modern and efficient than most LRT systems), then it would absolutely not be in the number one spot... probably somewhere between Chicago and SF.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM

19,202 posts, read 16,283,461 times
Quote:

PATCO has many park and rides and more than half the stations are pretty suburban.

The SEPTA (BSL and MFL) are very urban throughout (would be surprised if any stops other then the Stadium Stop is below 18 or 20K ppsm in the vacinity); though technically the terminus of the BSL on both ends is a park and ride; but that is the Stadium stop (where all the stadiums are, no residential at all there or much of anything and almost zero park and ride actual usage)

Old 02-29-2012, 03:17 PM

17,241 posts, read 9,682,175 times
Quote:
The biggest surprise is that BART does better than the Washington Metro. I thought the DC did a better job of putting its suburban metro stops in walkable transit oriented developments.
Have you ever been to some of the far out Metro stations like Greenbelt, Glenmont, Shady Grove, New Carrolton, or Huntington? There's nothing around them. They are "park and ride" stations in very leafy, low-density suburbs.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM

27,915 posts, read 14,160,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Have you ever been to some of the far out Metro stations like Greenbelt, Glenmont, Shady Grove, New Carrolton, or Huntington?
No. I've been to Bethesda.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

19,202 posts, read 16,283,461 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to some of the far out Metro stations like Greenbelt, Glenmont, Shady Grove, New Carrolton, or Huntington? There's nothing around them. They are "park and ride" stations in very leafy, low-density suburbs.

Outside of New Carrolton are any of the PG stations getting the more expansive TOD development. Seems like most is confined to Fairfax and MOCO

Old 02-29-2012, 03:26 PM

8,979 posts, read 5,680,503 times
Quote:
I've never been on the DC metro, but did take a bus from BWI to the Greenbelt station to get picked up by friends, and you are totally right... they are nice, quiet leafy suburbs. I tried to walk to the nearest coffee shop while I waited (and one of the commenters on the article mentioned this station by name, funny)... the nearest one was a 20 minute walk away, and that was after I figured out how to weave my way through the parking lot to a waiting area.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM

17,241 posts, read 9,682,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Outside of New Carrolton are any of the PG stations getting the more expansive TOD development. Seems like most is confined to Fairfax and MOCO
That's about right. I know there are a lot of homes around the recently-opened (recent meaning no more than 7 years) Morgan Boulevard and Largo Town Center stops. But that's really it for PG County. There's a lot of development around the King Street Metro station in Alexandria, too.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,712,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
So far no. There are plans and plans and plans but we'll see if PG actually makes any real moves. College Park is building a glorified office park right next to its metro station, which is a shame. However, on the other side of the tracks the University of Maryland is planning on building mixed-use TOD on land that is currently used by facilities & maintenance: http://www.eastcampus.umd.edu/. Another thing to look out for is that PG County is trying to poach the FBI from DC, but Fairfax might get to it first.

PG County will eventually get its share... it has to, it has the most Metro stops outside DC itself.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:00 PM

7,753 posts, read 5,064,239 times
Quote:

D.C.'s TOD development is almost all completely in D.C. proper, Arlington County, City of Alexandria, Montgomery County, and Fairfax County. Prince George's County has almost no TOD development. Prince George's County which is a majority black county struggles to get developers to build TOD in the county and struggles to get jobs to locate in the county. Its pretty much the same thing that exists in every city. Developers and businesses don't like to locate in black area's to be blunt.

The state of Maryland is stepping in though like they always have to do across the nation to promote economic development in black area's by locating state government agencies to anchor a few mixed use developments in PG County. Many of the metro stations will have TOD around them in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City