U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 152 32.27%
LA 69 14.65%
DC 43 9.13%
Philly 140 29.72%
Boston 67 14.23%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,204,602 times

Advertisements

Y'all need lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Density does not equal urbanity! Pound for pound DC is more urban and denser than LA in the city.
At 60 sq miles (D.C.'s city limits)?

No way. I've seen some of the neighborhood ADJACENT to D.C.'s core. It ain't Hollywood.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM

21,888 posts, read 30,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I don't see any SFH areas within 2 miles of DT DC:

Washington, DC - Google Maps

Do you?

Actually maybe a tad more than two mile,

but there is many SFHs in DC; especially in this area, blocks and blocks

Washington D.C., DC - Google Maps

Which look to be roughly 2 miles from the DT (see below; DC is definately a level below the other EC cities on urbanity)

1219 Crittenden Street Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia - Google Maps

Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM

27,425 posts, read 24,124,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
At 60 sq miles (D.C.'s city limits)?

No way. I've seen some of the neighborhood ADJACENT to D.C.'s core. It ain't Hollywood.
Ray,

Your comrade already stated that one has to "actively seek out" a car-free lifestyle in Los Angeles "unlike Boston."

You guys manage to read everything else but yet ignore this?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:22 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,139,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
I don't see any SFH areas within 2 miles of DT DC:

Washington, DC - Google Maps

Do you?
Lol, another classic NE argument.

"Dude, L.A. isn't that urban. Compare Boyle Heights to (insert picture of densest area of the city)"

"Long Beach lacks punch. It's nothing compared to (insert pic of densest area of densest area of city).

"I see some tiny houses in Weho. How's that urban compared to (insert pic of densest area of the city)"

Haha.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:25 PM

10,087 posts, read 12,311,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Ray,

Your comrade already stated that one has to "actively seek out" a car-free lifestyle in Los Angeles "unlike Boston."

You guys manage to read everything else but yet ignore this?
Yeah you have convinced me LA is not urban. Guess I'll go out and buy a car this afternoon.

Better tell this blog to just shut it down, http://la.streetsblog.org/

Wasting their time trying to report on pedestrian / bicycling developments in LA. Funny though, look at the three other cities they have a blog for, NY, SF, DC.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:27 PM

21,888 posts, read 30,184,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Lol, another classic NE argument.

"Dude, L.A. isn't urban. Compare Boyle Heights to (insert picture of densest area of the city)"

"Long Beach lacks punch. It's nothing compared to (insert pic of densest area of densest area of city).

"I see tiny houses in Weho. How's that urban compared to (insert pic of densest area of the city)"

Haha.
Ray and I defend LA, but in reality the peak (even with desnity is below) on expanse it has more, depends on how evaluated really. But on the whole it seems just a level below the others in the core (again even with similar density) but feel does come off somehow. LA is not as walkable as some of the others, may have more dense places further away but at the peak does not make the feel.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 2,163,717 times
I'm originally from Philly and now you've got me curious.

What township are you from?

Upper Darby? Lower Merion? Abington? Cheltenham?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:29 PM

27,425 posts, read 24,124,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah you have convinced me LA is not urban. Guess I'll go out and buy a car this afternoon.
Just own what you wrote. Presumably a car-free lifestyle in Los Angeles should be easy to find. All one has to do is move to the core. But yet you said that one has to "actively seek out" a car-free lifestyle in Los Angeles "unlike Boston, Chicago or NYC." And you've already stated that DC is more urban than Boston, so a car-free lifestyle must be even easier to achieve there, and certainly easier to achieve than in Los Angeles, right?

Old 02-02-2012, 01:31 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,389,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Actually maybe a tad more than two mile,

but there is many SFHs in DC; especially in this area, blocks and blocks

Washington D.C., DC - Google Maps

Which look to be roughly 2 miles from the DT (see below; DC is definately a level below the other EC cities on urbanity)

1219 Crittenden Street Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia - Google Maps

The area you identified looks to be about 3 miles from the northern edge of downtown, and about 4 miles from the center. Definitely more than 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City