U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 128 32.65%
LA 60 15.31%
DC 38 9.69%
Philly 107 27.30%
Boston 59 15.05%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 04:46 PM

897 posts, read 345,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Munchitup lives in the core right now. You said that you only lived there as a small child. I will take his word over yours because: (1) he lives there now as an adult and (2) he has stated himself that he is an avid walker.
I don't care if he's an avid walker or not I have been everywhere from the gritty parts of the core to the new "hipster" parts, I still have friends in Westlake, I've seen people covered up in tarps from keeping the rain off of them and yellow ones on homicide victims ask munch about what he knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:47 PM

5,583 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Lol, "our model". Pretty sure London has the oldest subway system in the world, not your faux-Euro neck of the woods...

L.A. is expanding its public transit only because it HAS TO, because the city is far denser than it was originally intended to be. As a means to ease congestion.

Think the city planners would have chucked the rail system we had if they knew the urbanized area would one day be the densest in the country?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:49 PM

9,017 posts, read 5,744,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Ok, so hopefully it would be a fiscal disaster like the Bid Dig, that would do wonders for those areas, do you have any idea how long the cap will be.
Gonna be from where Bronson crosses over the 101 to Santa Monica Blvd's overpass. There is also apparently a movement to cap the 101 in Downtown, which is a great idea IMO (much smaller area).

home | Hollywood Central Park (There is a map on this page)
http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist07/sync/cp...ure%281%29.pdf

Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 PM

17,337 posts, read 9,804,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. is expanding its public transit only because it HAS TO, because the city is far denser than it was originally intended to be. As a means to ease congestion.
Russia is embracing capitalism only because it HAD TO because the country is far broker than it was originally intended to be. As a means to relieve poverty.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM

5,583 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Russia is embracing capitalism only because it HAD TO because the country is far broker than it was originally intended to be. As a means to relieve poverty.
And NYC once changed its infrastructure to accommodate the automobile. It was either that or...ghosttown. Therefore, the original NYC model failed...

Could you have made a weaker point?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSon View Post
I don't care if he's an avid walker or not I have been everywhere from the gritty parts of the core to the new "hipster" parts, I still have friends in Westlake, I've seen people covered up in tarps from keeping the rain off of them and yellow ones on homicide victims ask munch about what he knows.
I'm not from LA and make no claims to be an expert.

I live in Hollywood, not Downtown, not in a loft but in a fairly nice building.

Living in Hollywood I have obviously seen hell of homeless people, no homicide victims (thank god). I'm making no claims of being hard, but I'm definitely not some rich kid living in a loft either.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
And NYC once changed its infrastructure to accommodate the automobile. It was either that or...ghosttown. Therefore, the original NYC model failed...

Could you have made a weaker point?
I suppose that's why 81 percent of New Yorkers drive. Oops, oh my. It's 81 percent of Angelenos that drive.

GOOD Attacks: L.A. Transportation | Streetsblog Los Angeles

As for me, well, I'll be on one of these tonight. Brooklyn Bound.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/17/ny...cars.html?_r=1

Old 02-02-2012, 04:57 PM

3,155 posts, read 1,796,358 times
Quote:
Brrrr?

Can you find a study from the NYC Office of Planning that recommends running expressways through neighborhoods, placing houses on individual lots, implementing zoning regulations that segregate uses, and setting up the city in such a way as to encourage driving (i.e., surface lots downtown, lack of public transit, etc.)? Again, you guys are jocking our model, not the other way around.
That's doesn't even follow. You might as well have posted some random New Yoker cartoon.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That's doesn't even follow. You might as well have posted some random New Yoker cartoon.
Or posted some random...eh, well...damn. What's the California equivalent of the New Yorker?

Isn't funny how Cali boosters will cite the New York Times but NEVER cite a Cali paper? Why is that?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Or posted some random...eh, well...damn. What's the California equivalent of the New Yorker?

Isn't funny how Cali boosters will cite the New York times but NEVER cite a Cali paper? Why is that?
I cite the LA Times all the time. I personally think it is a superior newspaper. NYT has had a lot of embarrassing incidents in recent memory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City