Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:35 PM

573 posts, read 1,360,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
So what about an academic who has spent over 30 years studying Los Angeles' urban design and concludes that:

(1) Los Angeles has more parking per capita than any city in the world; and
(2) Los Angeles does not have the "vital urban core we associate with older urban centers" due to...
(3) The city's "relentless accommodation of the automobile."

?
the city can, and will change
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Ray, has anyone ever told you that you argue like a 5 year old?

"all this hate of LA's car culture"... "2 square miles o' fun" ... "cars are a burden".. Blah blah blah. What you are doing is called psychological projection. You must have deep insecurities about your hometown, otherwise you wouldn't keep playing this losing game by our rules and deluding yourself that LA is this super urban, super dense, walkable metropolis. Your claims are laughable to any 5 year old.

And there you go again with your density BS. We already saw what your dense neighborhoods look like. Quite a sorry sight.
look into the mirror and see whos the 5 year old, if i were you i would just be quiet because you ar making your self look like a dumbass, because ray burned you and your friend bajan hard on post 1041

Old 02-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
It's hard to change an urban model overnight. Compactness was a practical necessity for eastern cities at the time they were built. What other means of transportation did most people have besides walking? So you had large urban cores in Boston, Philadelphia, NYC and DC that were built specifically and primarily for pedestrian life.

You'd have to change the whole infrastructure of Los Angeles to make it as pedestrian-friendly as Boston or DC. You'd have to eliminate 95 percent of its off-street parking. You'd have to put residences on top of the retail on commercial corridors in order to promote greater walkability. You'd have to scale down the size of the streets. You'd have to provide incentives for about 60% of the businesses in the outer areas to relocate to downtown. It's a tall task.
and its possible

Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge112597 View Post
look into the mirror and see whos the 5 year old, if i were you i would just be quiet because you ar making your self look like a dumbass, because ray burned you and your friend bajan hard on post 1041
Donald Shoup, the Chair of UCLA's Urban Planning Department, has already written that Los Angeles does not have the "vital urban core associated with older urban centers." That pretty much ends the argument.

Check and mate.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:19 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
A) Donald Shoup is not God.

B) that article is from 2004. I thought it sounded dated. Turns out it is.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Donald Shoup, the Chair of UCLA's Urban Planning Department, has already written that Los Angeles does not have the "vital urban core associated with older urban centers." That pretty much ends the argument.

Check and mate.
just because donald shoup said so doesnt mean it true

like ray said is he god to know if or if not LA will have a vital urban core

NO!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy Mike View Post
I see L.A. built two (2) 400+ foot buildings since 2004. Philly built five (5). SF built four (4). If L.A was becoming more urban, surely it would enjoy the kind of development Philly and SF enjoy, but I guess in a city where the #1 industry is sweat-shops you really don't need, or can't afford skyscrapers. Philly wins this poll, and SF is deservedly second. Philly wins this any way you look at it, but this fact about tall building construction is telling. L.A. Has not changed that much in the past 8 years. You've been called out on this phony line of argument before.
its giong to seem like a different skyline once wilshire grand towers are built also many other projects.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Skylines having nothing to do with all the infill that has taken place in DTLA since that article was written. It's completely outdated. L.A. Live was still years from breaking ground, for chrissakes. But you knew that, I'm sure.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
L.A. Live? You mean LA's version of Atlantic Station in Atlanta? Basically a big indoor entertainment complex that doesn't even rival the National Harbor in Fort Washington, MD? I'll take TriBeCa, NoLita, and SoHo thank you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Harbor

Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy Mike View Post
I see L.A. built two (2) 400+ foot buildings since 2004. Philly built five (5). SF built four (4). If L.A was becoming more urban, surely it would enjoy the kind of development Philly and SF enjoy, but I guess in a city where the #1 industry is sweat-shops you really don't need, or can't afford skyscrapers. Philly wins this poll, and SF is deservedly second. Philly wins this any way you look at it, but this fact about tall building construction is telling. L.A. Has not changed that much in the past 8 years. You've been called out on this phony line of argument before.
LA has built new apartments/condos and renovated many old existing buildings into apts/condos in and around its core. That is the kind of development that is needed. The Wilshire Grand project will be spectacular when completed but I love what is taking place with the old and new, especially the old buildings. Not a bunch of new skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City