Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:59 PM

37,121 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
Ray, I spoke and speak the truth. Post your density stats all day but until LA becomes more walkable with a world class subway and easily livable without a car people won't believe its urban!
Becomes more walkable than last year or what? That happened. None of the cities in this topic have a world class subway system which is regrettable and LA has a comparable one to these smaller American cities. For a similar total population to these other cities who can do the same, LA does have a number of people who live easily without a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
[/b]QUOTE=OyCrumbler;30704822]Koreatown would be a fairly large neighborhood in some of these cities, but it's not going to be considered a city in a city--that's just ridiculous. If you were going to be really generous with Koreatown's boundaries you might get to something like just over 3 square miles which wouldn't be anywhere near the size of any of the cities being compared here. The high density you're talking about is pretty low and underneath any kind of threshold where it would be considered vibrant and walkable for the most part. This is why those UA stats are effectively useless because those are still for the most part talking about people living in suburban conditions, car-necessary conditions even if at fairly high densities.
That comment wasn't meant to be taken so literally but...

Koreatown Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Koreatown

2.7 sq miles
Population: 115,000
Density: 42,000 ppsm
It's larger in land area than Center City, Philadelphia. It's larger in land area than DuPont Circle/Adams Morgan (DC), North Beach/Tenderloin (SF), and North End/Back Bay combined. COM-BINED. The population of Koreatown is comparable to those six neighborhoods as well. Again, COM-BINED.

For a "neighborhood", it's massive.[/quote]

I suppose, I guess I'm thinking of more of Chicago/NYC size neighborhoods... more comparable land/pop wise. The problem is, LA isn't a peer city to these other ones, definitely a tier above, yet still struggles to hang urban wise or in same tier in that metric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Becomes more walkable than last year or what? That happened. None of the cities in this topic have a world class subway system which is regrettable and LA has a comparable one to these smaller American cities. For a similar total population to these other cities who can do the same, LA does have a number of people who live easily without a car.
DC is pretty freaking good...

Old 07-28-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I don't think it's based on geography alone, look at SF for instance, it's more centralized in terms of the premier amenities than LA, same state.
Just to clarify, I don't mean to use the geography itself as an excuse. My argument was more that LA is simply much bigger and more populous than these other places and so it will have more attractions. Some of those attractions will lie outside easy reach via mass transit, but there will be a pretty large number of attractions that are within easy reach of mass transit.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:11 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,409,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
This is what I don't understand. You pretend it's unfair for people to use things like walkability, tightly built neighborhoods, etc. as points because it works to the advantage of older cities...yet you bring up things like "our density continues further" as an example for LA, a city several times larger than any other of these cities.
Nonsense. I acknowledged the superior pedestrian friendliness of the older cities. If anything gets dismissed, it's the density statistics (not to mention nei and dweebo's graphs). How many times has poor nei posted that chart showing L.A.'s built density (at the core level) is right there with Boston and Philly's? Posters are still in denial about this.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
That comment wasn't meant to be taken so literally but...

Koreatown Profile - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Koreatown

2.7 sq miles
Population: 115,000
Density: 42,000 ppsm
It's larger in land area than Center City, Philadelphia. It's larger in land area than DuPont Circle/Adams Morgan (DC), North Beach/Tenderloin (SF), and North End/Back Bay combined. COM-BINED. The population of Koreatown is comparable to those six neighborhoods as well. Again, COM-BINED.

For a "neighborhood", it's massive.
Yea, it'd be a big neighborhood as I said before. It takes up the space comparable to several neighborhoods in these other cities when those cities are split up into several dozens of neighborhoods. That's why when someone criticizes LA for having just some neighborhoods that are walkable/urban, it's important to point out that several these such as Hollywood, Downtown, and Koreatown are actually very large. However, it's just as ridiculous an exaggeration to talk about ktown as a city within a city. It's a large neighborhood, that's it.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 07-28-2013 at 05:38 PM..

Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
d00d - LA is urban no sh.it

not city-data urban

Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
DC is pretty freaking good...
DC is great for an American city of its metro size, that's true. I wouldn't say world class given how much better some cities of similar or even smaller sizes have it. It's definitely the best among these cities though.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
Though some may not agree I do believe transit is an important factor of urbanity. When it comes to transit, all of these cities have their strengths and weaknesses.

List of cities and their transit options.

Boston
Commuter rail lines: 13
Subway lines: 3
Light rail lines: 6

San Francisco
Commuter rail lines: 2
Subway lines: 5
Light rail lines: 9

Philadelphia
Commuter rail lines: 15
Subway lines: 3
Light rail lines: 9

Los Angeles
Commuter rail lines: 7
Subway lines: 2
Light rail lines: 4

Washington DC
Commuter rail lines: 5
Subway lines: 5
Light rail lines: 0

Old 07-28-2013, 05:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
raymond charles son...meth lab in the desert-------->

Old 07-28-2013, 05:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
DC is great for an American city of its metro size, that's true. I wouldn't say world class given how much better some cities of similar or even smaller sizes have it.
World Class? No. Only NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City