Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the top city?
Boston 28 26.92%
San Francisco 52 50.00%
Houston 24 23.08%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:43 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

[quote=bmwsterling;17116396]Houston is def more important than the other 2. But boston is not far behind.. But idk about san francisco..

Quote:
Can facebook cook your food to eat?
I often use the Yelp appmy Google Android to find places to eat if I'm walking around the city. My girlfriend had never cooked before coming to the United States, but she's able to make me incredible meals...how? She Skype's with her mom who lives over 5,000 miles away.

Quote:
Can yahoo run your car
You're aware that navigation systems and computers working within your car don't just "happen", right?

Quote:
Does craigslist keep our world running?
Where would the sex trade be without it?

I also got tipped off to the apartment I'm currently living in. If it weren't for that, I'd be paying at least $150 more per month. I also saved some money because I was able to unload some tickets to a show I unexpectedly couldn't attend.

Quote:
No it can't so yes technology is important but when I see important I see helping our world not 'socially helping' it..
Technology increases the efficiency of almost everything we do. Electronic checkouts at the supermarket, global phones, e-commerce allows us to find the cheapest prices on goods.

Technology has infinitely improved the effectiveness of business and has allowed global connectivity to flourish. I receive dozens of emails every day from people in India which allows me to do my work quicker and easier.

Quote:
Idk bout u guys but houston is def up there with LA chicago and dc
San fran is up there with boston and philly
I'd put Houston in with the latter...

Quote:
But then again people don't move to cities because of how important they are.. Houston job growth is very high and houston is where all the money is at the moment.
Haha I wouldn't go that far, but the growth rate of Houston is fantastic.

Quote:
Would you rather make 60k a year at a great job in houston or 30k a year working for some techy place where you need a degree in something that's not even paying you much
Dude your reasoning is a little absurd. To earn that $60k in Houston, you're probably going to need a college degree too. The benefit of Houston is that you can earn $30k and live like you're earning the same as someone making $60k in SF or Boston.

You're totally missing the point of the COL argument Houstoners have put forth.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 12-23-2010 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
[quote=tmac9wr;17116606]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwsterling View Post
Houston is def more important than the other 2. But boston is not far behind.. But idk about san francisco..

I often use the Yelp appmy Google Android to find places to eat if I'm walking around the city. My girlfriend had never cooked before coming to the United States, but she's able to make me incredible meals...how? She Skype's with her mom who lives over 5,000 miles away.

You're aware that navigation systems and computers working within your car don't just "happen", right?

Where would the sex trade be without it?

I also got tipped off to the apartment I'm currently living in. If it weren't for that, I'd be paying at least $150 more per month. I also saved some money because I was able to unload some tickets to a show I unexpectedly couldn't attend.

Technology increases the efficiency of almost everything we do. Electronic checkouts at the supermarket, global phones, e-commerce allows us to find the cheapest prices on goods.

Technology has infinitely improved the effectiveness and business and has allowed global connectivity to flourish. I receive dozens of emails every day from people in India which allows me to do my work quicker and easier.

I'd put Houston in with the latter...

Haha I wouldn't go that far, but the growth rate of Houston is fantastic.

Dude your reasoning is a little absurd. To earn that $60k in Houston, you're probably going to need a college degree too. The benefit of Houston is that you can earn $30k and live like you're earning what someone making $60k in SF or Boston is living like.

You're totally missing the point of the COL argument Houstoners have put forth.
You get paid good money working within the energy sector and that's without an education, but you make valid and interesting points within your post, lol

Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
You Houston homers are selling the Bay Area short. It's absolutely more important than Houston.
How??? I'd say from a cultural standpoint; the Bay area is well above the Greater Houston area, but I don't see how it's significantly more important than Houston. These areas are both leaders in different sectors. Same with Boston.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:52 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Dude seriously some of you dudes from Houston need to chillax (Talking about Wordlyman). There is nothing wrong with saying another metropolitan area is more important. And it's reaching for Houston, remember its still significantly smaller in population then the other two.

As just the city, yes Houston is more important than Boston & San Francisco. But the entire metropolitan areas considered it comes in 3rd here.

Here just look at the drastic population difference between the three areas.

Population Centers for CSA:

01. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA 22,232,494

02. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA 17,820,893

03. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA 9,804,845

04. Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA 8,440,617

05. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA 7,609,358

06. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA 7,427,757

07. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA 6,805,275

08. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA 6,533,122

09. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA 5,968,586

10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL CSA 5,831,778

11. Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI CSA 5,327,764

Economic Output by CSA 2008:
01. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA $1.434 Trillion
02. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA CSA $866.095 Billion
03. Washington DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV CSA $533.542
04. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI CSA $526.895 Billion
05. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA $508.418 Billion
06. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH CSA $413.930 Billion
07. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX CSA $403.202 Billion
08. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX CSA $383.082 Billion
09. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA $351.680 Billion
10. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL $276.197 Billion
11. Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL Metro Area $261.263 Billion
12. Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI CSA $236.457 Billion

I will say this though, Houston does pull its weight and above its weight. In fact all 3 of these places do. Compared to Dallas-Fort Worth, Atlanta, Miami-Fort Lauderdale, among others that pull equal to their weight or below. I would say all three of these places do well.

For the 6th largest MSA, Houston has the 4th highest GDP. For the 7th largest CSA, it has the 7th largest GDP (Larger than Dallas-Fort Worth which is a larger metropolitan area).

And all three of them are amongst the wealthiest places in the country.

Top 20 CSAs by Per Capita Income 2008:
01. San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA (CSA) $67,111
02. New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA (CSA) $64,474
03. Washington DC-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV (CSA) $58,883
04. Boston-Worcester-Manchester, MA-RI-NH (CSA) $54,809
05. Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX (CSA) $54,662

06. Hartford-West Hartford-Willimantic, CT (CSA) $53,204
07. Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI (CSA) $52,427
08. Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA (CSA) $52,064
09. Denver-Aurora-Boulder, CO (CSA) $51,274
10. Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD (CSA) $50,534
11. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA (CSA) $50,333
12. Dallas-Fort Worth, TX (CSA) $49,707
13. Minneapolis-St. Paul-St. Cloud, MN-WI (CSA) $49,304
14. Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL (CSA) $48,653
15. Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI (CSA) $48,586
16. Sacramento-Arden-Arcade-Yuba City, CA-NV (CSA) $48,364
17. Raleigh-Durham-Cary, NC (CSA) $47,235
18. Midland-Odessa, TX (CSA) $47,226
19. Austin-Round Rock-Marble Falls, TX (CSA) $46,998
20. St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL (CSA) $46,042

What's there to cry over? Houston does one hell of a baller job (All three of these places do actually). And give it time, it'll probably level out and balance itself with the other two in good time.

Like I said before, Bay Area between these three is the most important, but Boston & Houston are nearly in the same boat with Boston having the edge right now as its the larger place with a tad bit more economic involvement by output. But in a few years, things between Houston & Boston will level off.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:04 PM

43 posts, read 76,878 times
I think that you're selling both Boston and San Francisco extremely short. All three cities have equal importance specializations (medicine/education, technology, and energy), all three cities have close economic rankings, and all three are the most important cities to the country behind NY, Chicago, and LA. However, Houston is at a disadvantage due to the fact that, in terms of specializations and economy, Boston and San Francisco can match it, but Houston can't match them in terms of cultural significance.

The reason I would put Boston ahead of San Francisco is because while technology is highly important, it's not significantly more important than education and medicine. Plus, Boston is the second best technology provider, lessening the impact of San Francisco's blow. As well, it has more cultural significance in terms of history, and Boston tends to be a social trend-setter more than San Francisco. The abolitionist movement, the rights of women, civil rights, gay marriage, and the most important example, freedom and the birth of America, all were either centered in Boston, started in Boston, or had strong, influential support in Boston.

San Francisco is close, but the social, cultural, and historic advantages of Boston make San Francisco trail behind a bit.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago-Morph View Post
I think that you're selling both Boston and San Francisco extremely short. All three cities have equal importance specializations (medicine/education, technology, and energy), all three cities have close economic rankings, and all three are the most important cities to the country behind NY, Chicago, and LA. However, Houston is at a disadvantage due to the fact that, in terms of specializations and economy, Boston and San Francisco can match it, but Houston can't match them in terms of cultural significance.

The reason I would put Boston ahead of San Francisco is because while technology is highly important, it's not significantly more important than education and medicine. Plus, Boston is the second best technology provider, lessening the impact of San Francisco's blow. As well, it has more cultural significance in terms of history, and Boston tends to be a social trend-setter more than San Francisco. The abolitionist movement, the rights of women, civil rights, gay marriage, and the most important example, freedom and the birth of America, all were either centered in Boston, started in Boston, or had strong, influential support in Boston.

San Francisco is close, but the social, cultural, and historic advantages of Boston make San Francisco trail behind a bit.
This.

I think it's the cultural aspect that places Houston last; not the economic importance because it can match them both. What makes Houston impressive though is that for a developing city that is still establishing itself; it punches in well above it's weight. It doesn't measure up to Boston and San Francisco overall, but it's no slouch either.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:15 PM

Of course it's no slouch. The fact that it's being counted as one of the six most important cities in the country should say as much.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:31 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
I just realized how strange Boston Metropolitan Area (CSA) is.

Boston CSA includes: Boston, the state capital of Massachusetts, Providence, the state capital of Rhode Island, & Concord, the state capital of New Hampshire.

The Boston CSA (7.6 Million people), is a little more than half of the total population of New England (14 Million people), and the Metropolitan Area (CSA) contains three (3) state capitals in it. I honestly don't think any other metropolitan area has such a collection of state capitals and that too, 3 of them in the same metropolitan area.

The next closest thing I can think of is The Pudget Sound area where Seattle takes in Olympia, WA. And DMV where Washington DC & Baltimore take in Annapolis, MD. Or Minneapolis-Saint Paul where Minneapolis is with the state capital of Saint Paul.

Interesting to think about Boston's particular situation...

Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 PM

The other cities are small enough to be grouped into the data. The entire region is kind of small because it's so spread out. The easiest way for the government to handle it is to include large portions of it into a CSA

Old 12-23-2010, 04:50 PM

24 posts, read 59,438 times
Danny, last time I checked this poll was about cities, not the MSA's or CSA's. Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City