U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:17 PM

15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yeah, late 70s when disco got popular in Dallas...

just letting him talk..I didn't expect a legit answer.

Montrose Houston:

Also starting around the 1970s the area became known as the center for the gay and lesbian community of Houston.

OK, well that one didn't work.

and as for Oak Lawn...

Running through the center of Oak Lawn from downtown to Love Field is Cedar Springs Road, which has housed the center of the Dallas gay community (also called the Dallas-Gayborhood) for over 35 years at the intersection of Cedar Springs Road and Throckmorton Street.

lets see, 35 years...would be 1975.

when did the disco era start again?
60s are not the 70s... 60s were far outttt man, and the south was a bit behind as was Chicago a bit compared to NYC/SF.

I'm pretty sure New Orleans gay scene was a predecessor to those in Dal/Hou/Atl as well...

Each of these cities had gay area well before these areas were established; I just don't know the hoods. Btw, Atlanta's gay scene might have came before Chicago's because Atlanta was a hot spot for many DL Black male entertainers during the 50s and 60s.

Another thing is; you have to remember that the south has never been big into creating different enclaves all over the city like north. Chinatowns, Little Toykos, Little Mexicos and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,727,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I see the typical Atlanta homers are out defending their city yet again . . . surprise, surprise.

Quote:
Laughter, followed by disbelief. I usually brush it off.
If that works for you that's cool, but I usually take offense to untrue things being said about the place I live being passed off as fact.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Quote:
It was in a rural area then that is now part of Atlanta's sprawl. It still qualifies as the "Atlanta area," which is what my post said. No contradiction here.
Let me guess, Forsyth or Cherokee county? There would be very specific reason for why you encountered what you say you did in one of those two places, but I'll allow you to answer.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,766,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Each of these cities had gay area well before these areas were established; I just don't know the hoods. Btw, Atlanta's gay scene might have came before Chicago's because Atlanta was a hot spot for many DL Black male entertainers during the 50s and 60s.

Another thing is; you have to remember that the south has never been big into creating different enclaves all over the city like north. Chinatowns, Little Toykos, Little Mexicos and more.

But you just said.

Quote:
WTF??? You do realize the south already had established gay neighborhoods during the 60s right??? It appears you lack history knowledge of the south.
and yes the 60s and 70s are different, from your other post. A lot can happen in 10 years, 60s were a tumultuous time.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
But you just said.

and yes the 60s and 70s are different, from your other post. A lot can happen in 10 years, 60s were a tumultuous time.
I know what I said and what I'm saying now IS yes Houston,Atlanta and Dallas had it's gay neighborhoods, but they weren't big on enclaves. There gay neighborhoods were mixed in with ordinary neighborhoods.

I don't see anything awarding about making a neighborhood in honor of gays. It just keeps segregation going strong.

Besides why would you even bring that up??? These cities are all about equal when it comes to being able to live a happy gay lifestyle. You'd have a point if Houston or Atlanta was still lynching gays or stoning them, but they aren't and have some of the largest Gay Pride parades in the country. Not to mention; Houston being the largest city with a Lesbian Mayor.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
I know what I said and what I'm saying now IS yes Houston,Atlanta and Dallas had it's gay neighborhoods, but they weren't big on enclaves. There gay neighborhoods were mixed in with ordinary neighborhoods.

I don't see anything awarding about making a neighborhood in honor of gays. It just keeps segregation going strong.

Besides why would you even bring that up??? These cities are all about equal when it comes to being able to live a happy gay lifestyle. You'd have a point if Houston or Atlanta was still lynching gays or stoning them, but they aren't and have some of the largest Gay Pride parades in the country. Not to mention; Houston being the largest city with a Lesbian Mayor.
But Dallas has the gayborhood...so I guess Dallas is keeping segregation strong by your logic.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
But Dallas has the gayborhood...so I guess Dallas is keeping segregation strong by your logic.
Actually anyone will tell you Oaklawn is for gays amongst other types of people. The area doesn't cater just to gays.

Anyways, what does this have to do with the OP?? How about sticking to the OT instead of derailing.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Actually anyone will tell you Oaklawn is for gays amongst other types of people. The area doesn't cater just to gays.

Anyways, what does this have to do with the OP?? How about sticking to the OT instead of derailing.
so is Boystown in Chicago

Why does Dallas have gay bars called Woody's Moby Dick's BJ's and Pekers? Exclusive gay only segregation?

Why do they put up rainbow flags everywhere? More gay segregation?

you derailed it.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:57 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,765,771 times
Quote:
I see the typical Atlanta homers are out defending their city yet again . . . surprise, surprise.
As are the typical Atlanta bashers again.....surprise, surprise.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
so is Boystown in Chicago

Why does Dallas have gay bars called Woody's Moby Dick's BJ's and Pekers? Exclusive gay only segregation?

Why do they put up rainbow flags everywhere? More gay segregation?

you derailed it.
Quote:
WOW @ complete lack of history knowledge. Holy crap dude. Yeah Chicago had gay neighborhood in the 60s when people in the south were still spraying people with water hoses. GTFO. How about colored drinking fountains? How about you had sodomy laws on the books THIS DECADE. Not racial but all in the same ball park. Do you really wanna go there?

"The north has never really addressed the race issues in its region"

oh my.
Did I really????

What does sodomy and gay neighborhoods have to do with Racial stereotypes??? Is being Gay a race??? Didn't think so.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Did I really????

What does sodomy and gay neighborhoods have to do with Racial stereotypes??? Is being Gay a race??? Didn't think so.
heh...

absolutely nothin jluke, you just go on now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or