U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:56 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,861,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Move to Canada. It's a very non-racist, colorblind country. Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto are some big cities up there.
Im telling you man,STOP DRINKING THE KOOLAID!!!SO NOT true.As a matter of fact race crimes are on the rise.Try driving(while black) from Detroit into Windsor Ontario in a car worth more than $50,000.Vancouver the best if one were les than the other.
I best friend who is from Toronto just sent me this:
Editorial: Our police forces still don't understand (http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Editorial+police+forces+still+understand/3979877/story.html#ixzz18EWKDcHq - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 01:04 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,200,454 times
I never said Canada was perfect, no place on earth is, but it can't be any worse than the deep south - places like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi that many on this board seem to think is the promised land for Blacks. Canada never had lynchings or the KKK or Jim Crow laws or Tea Parties.

Plus, the OP is Asian, not Black, so why would he be concerned about places good for Blacks? Canada, especially Vancouver, has a very large Asian population.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:12 PM

803 posts, read 950,304 times
LOL, Canadians are known to be hostile towards South Asians my man.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:30 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,647,828 times
Quote:
I never said Canada was perfect, no place on earth is, but it can't be any worse than the deep south - places like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi that many on this board seem to think is the promised land for Blacks. Canada never had lynchings or the KKK or Jim Crow laws or Tea Parties.

Plus, the OP is Asian, not Black, so why would he be concerned about places good for Blacks? Canada, especially Vancouver, has a very large Asian population.
You cant compare Canada to the South. The demographics are not and have never been the same. You cant say "Canada never had this this and this" Canada also never had a large black population, so of course they didnt have Jim Crow laws and lynchings. I mean who are they gonna lynch? Other white people? Nova Scotia did have a history of racism though.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:33 PM

2,548 posts, read 5,129,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Such a city does not exist. Racial stereotypes are big part of American culture unfortunately. The only thing you can do is rise above as an individual and surround your self with like minded people, everyone else be damned.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:55 PM

7,796 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Quote:

Dude, bring yourself into the 21st century.

-Jim Crow was abolished 40 years ago

-Latinos and Asians have being pouring into the South now for 30+ years. That wouldn't happen if it were a hostile environment

-The KKK has been marginalized, and is no longer a major threat anywhere. Most normal every day White folks in the South despise them too

-The Tea Party rallys were country wide and not relegated to the South. In fact, one of top leaders in their "movement" is Michele Bachmann...from your dear Minnesota.

Canada may have never had the KKK or lynchings, but you are fooling yourself if you think they don't have racism there.

Canadians tolerate white racism against blacks, even in Toronto. « Restructure!

Crown accuses Toronto police of racism - thestar.com

Old 12-26-2010, 02:08 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,200,454 times
So, do you guys think that Mississippi or South Carolina is less racist than Canada?

Old 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM

7,796 posts, read 11,729,302 times
Quote:
So, do you guys think that Mississippi or South Carolina is less racist than Canada?
Why would it matter?

The question for you is, do you believe all of Mississippi or South Carolina in 2010 (forget about what happened in the past) are racist? I have a feeling what your answer is, but I can tell you from personal experience that I have been in both states several times and have never experienced any sort of problems.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,456,149 times
Quote:
Move to Canada. It's a very non-racist, colorblind country. Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal and Toronto are some big cities up there.
I would agree, to a point.

"Reverse-racism" ... i.e. racism against whites ... is VERY pervasive there. I heard many mixed couples are there, and when I was seeing this one half-Asian half-White girl up there, I could definitely tell there were many mixed couples, but almost always it was white female with <insert other ethnicity here> male. White males are really derided there. In fact, I got more than a couple stares when I was with that girl I was seeing, almost like "OMG, YOU got HER?@!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" ... ok she was a knockout, but still, it was very obvious.

It was very strange, because I never expected Canada to have racism like that. Oh it's heterogeneous, and mixed couples have been around more prevalently than in the USA for a long time, but I think they have serious issues with "each nationality an island" mentality, instead of the US, where everyone is American (or at least moving forward).

In Vancouver, I occasionally hear "gwai-lo" or "white devil" from the Chinese in that city.

But maybe it is not a "white guy" thing? I'm an American, and everyone noticed how I was more ... aggressive, or whatever ... than most Canadian men. But I dunno ... I wouldn't say Canadian guys are wusses by any means.

Old 12-26-2010, 02:39 PM

970 posts, read 2,540,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just look at the change demographically in suburbs like Warren, Southfield and others just north of 8 Mile.
Maybe you're thinking of Oak Park? Warren is still VERY white. 85-90%, easily.

But, to answer the OP's question, racism and stereotypes exist, on varying levels, in every big city, sleepy village, and suburb everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or