U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
The only people who gave my ex-girlfriend and I a tough time for being an inter-ethnic couples were people who moved down south from out west or from up north. Southerners just thought we were both a bunch of Mexicans lol (she was Puerto Rican so she didn't like being called Mexican and I am Indian).

Makes me just wonder about those areas sometimes, like how tough it would be for me as an Indian to live in lets say a rich suburb in Jersey.
That's because the north has never really addressed the race issues in its region; they were too busy criticizing and mocking the Southern US and completely ignored their own issues. Now as of 2010, they are the most segregated region.

The north maybe the best ethnically and racially diverse region of the country, but that means nothing if everyone is separated in there own little enclaves without much knowledge outside their own communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
3,939 posts, read 3,893,286 times
Reputation: 4427
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's because the north has never really addressed the race issues in its region; they were too busy criticizing and mocking the Southern US and completely ignored their own issues. Now as of 2010, they are the most segregated region.

The north maybe the best ethnically and racially diverse region of the country, but that means nothing if everyone is separated in there own little enclaves without much knowledge outside their own communities.
It's all a matter of timing. If southern cities saw their populations boom a few decades earlier they would be in the same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
It's all a matter of timing. If southern cities saw their populations boom a few decades earlier they would be in the same boat.
No they wouldn't. Southerners have been fight against inequality as early as the 1800s. Those who did escape the south and move north; settled for what the white men gave them and never reached for more.

What's sad is that still today northerners are too busy concentrating on the south and ignoring their own issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:27 PM
 
102 posts, read 153,694 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No they wouldn't. Southerners have been fight against inequality as early as the 1800s. Those who did escape the south and move north; settled for what the white men gave them and never reached for more.

What's sad is that still today northerners are too busy concentrating on the south and ignoring their own issues.
The blacks of the north never just "settled," there were millions working decent paying factory jobs for years. Once the factories packed up and left, things went downhill.

Early years of overt racism, mid to late 19th century industry decay, cheap drugs and overall societal decay are why these problems inherent to today's inner-cities exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
276 posts, read 310,001 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

What's sad is that still today northerners are too busy concentrating on the south and ignoring their own issues.
Thats true,

The north may have never had jim crow laws but a black person still wasn't equal. Blacks and whites were not living the same neighborhoods, hell its still like that in many places in the NE and midwest. People in the north can be just as racist as well, if not more. Theres still places in certain northern cities (which will remain nameless) where Realtors and landlords will not sell or rent to a certain demographic, and on top of that the residents in that neighborhood don't want them either. I'm pretty sure by now you all should get an idea of which cities I may be talking about.

But in the south its more classist than anything. Status and money talks more so, but don't get me wrong you'll still find you racists and what not, but mostly in a more rural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
 
102 posts, read 153,694 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Theres still places in certain northern cities (which will remain nameless) where Realtors and landlords will not sell or rent to a certain demographic, and on top of that the residents in that neighborhood don't want them either. I'm pretty sure by now you all should get an idea of which cities I may be talking about.
I think I know what you're referring to, but I think you have a misunderstanding as to what their primary goal was - to keep subsidized housing out of their area, which I think anyone who owns a property can understand.

Of course it looks like a racial issue, the primary tenant in government housing is usually a minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 29,784,428 times
Reputation: 7238
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
The blacks of the north never just "settled," there were millions working decent paying factory jobs for years. Once the factories packed up and left, things went downhill.

Early years of overt racism, mid to late 19th century industry decay, cheap drugs and overall societal decay are why these problems inherent to today's inner-cities exist.
No; they settled. Once they reached cities like Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Detroit, and others. They settle into their own little enclaves and little progress was made since. Crime started going up, people were losing jobs, and more. If you look at the demographics of these cities as of today compared to the 1950s or 60s; little has changed. Now look at areas like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and more; much has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Washington, D.C.
276 posts, read 310,001 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobSnakePants View Post
I think I know what you're referring to, but I think you have a misunderstanding as to what their primary goal was - to keep subsidized housing out of their area, which I think anyone who owns a property can understand.

Of course it looks like a racial issue, the primary tenant in government housing is usually a minority.
I don't think its just subsidized housing.
I doubt a well-to-do black person would be able to get a house in a place like Howard Beach....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM
 
102 posts, read 153,694 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
I don't think its just subsidized housing.
I doubt a well-to-do black person would be able to get a house in a place like Howard Beach....
I've heard of well-to-do areas of Atlanta which are the same way except against whites.

I'm not sure what your point is here as you are almost making it sound like this sort of thing is typical in the north, which I can tell you, given today's court systems lawsuit happy folks, would not fly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2010, 01:48 PM
 
102 posts, read 153,694 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No; they settled. Once they reached cities like Chicago, NYC, Philadelphia, Detroit, and others. They settle into their own little enclaves and little progress was made since. Crime started going up, people were losing jobs, and more. If you look at the demographics of these cities as of today compared to the 1950s or 60s; little has changed. Now look at areas like Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, and more; much has changed.
What are you arguing exactly? Sounds like you have some inconsistencies with the whole cause and effect of this dynamic you speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top