Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:28 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
So, do you guys think that Mississippi or South Carolina is less racist than Canada?
I can't say that since I've never been to any of those places. But I will say this, Canada is not the colorblind haven you make it out to be. There is racism everywhere. I still don't know how you can say someplace that is almost entirely homogeneous is colorblind. Something tells me that if you took a Canadian and dropped him off to spend a few months in Atlanta he would start noticing color real quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,787,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I never said Canada was perfect, no place on earth is, but it can't be any worse than the deep south - places like Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi that many on this board seem to think is the promised land for Blacks. Canada never had lynchings or the KKK or Jim Crow laws or Tea Parties.

Plus, the OP is Asian, not Black, so why would he be concerned about places good for Blacks? Canada, especially Vancouver, has a very large Asian population.
You be surprised what Canada has had.But you never bothered to look and see for yourself.You just make statements based on what you heard.But how can you if you have never been there?I can tell you all day till im blue in the face that living in the South vs the North as a black male,I have experience much more racism in the North.(still not nothing overwhelming)That still would not matter to you because you have judged based on little experience and you have an inherit nature as proven in other post to keep bringing up race in the South as if it were 1940 Birmingham and not today!!

Talk to Native Canadians and see what they say.ANd also Chinese in Montreal overall are racist against blacks in Canada.Especially in Montreal.I can tell you from the mouths of the younger generation of Chinese there.The only thing is the dynamic of WHICH races are at odds in each part of the world.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I would agree, to a point.

"Reverse-racism" ... i.e. racism against whites ... is VERY pervasive there. I heard many mixed couples are there, and when I was seeing this one half-Asian half-White girl up there, I could definitely tell there were many mixed couples, but almost always it was white female with <insert other ethnicity here> male. White males are really derided there. In fact, I got more than a couple stares when I was with that girl I was seeing, almost like "OMG, YOU got HER?@!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?" ... ok she was a knockout, but still, it was very obvious.

It was very strange, because I never expected Canada to have racism like that. Oh it's heterogeneous, and mixed couples have been around more prevalently than in the USA for a long time, but I think they have serious issues with "each nationality an island" mentality, instead of the US, where everyone is American (or at least moving forward).

In Vancouver, I occasionally hear "gwai-lo" or "white devil" from the Chinese in that city.

But maybe it is not a "white guy" thing? I'm an American, and everyone noticed how I was more ... aggressive, or whatever ... than most Canadian men. But I dunno ... I wouldn't say Canadian guys are wusses by any means.
OMG!!Your whole ost is what I witness in certain parts of Canada!!I am in Montreal and Toronto almost every year at least once.Im a black male and I see it too from my white male friends up there who date interracial!But Im sorry its worse for Chinese or Asians the darker you go,the more outraged they get!!African?LOL FORGET IT.
The rest I totally agree with!

Old 12-26-2010, 05:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
what is this TV Land?

the biggest cities have it the worst....fact

go to london or paris and tell me about race relations...

its easy to say "we love everyone" if the minority pct is low

Old 12-26-2010, 07:36 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,657 times
Older northern cities with large Black populations have serious racial tensions for many reasons.

1. People are a lot more tribal in older cities with ethnic neighborhoods, ghettos etc.
2. The loss of manufacturing made it harder to compete for blue collar jobs.
3. Gentrification always becomes a race issue.

Any Northern city (exception for Los Angeles) that received a large number of Southern blacks during the two great migrations is a sure bet to have serious problems.

New York
Chicago
Detroit
Philadelphia
Washington D.C.
Baltimore
St. Louis
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Los Angeles

All have serious racial tensions (specifically between Blacks and Whites).

Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
i've never heard anyone say that there's racial love aside from mtv

tv lol

i'm takling big cities - neighborhoods - if you don't know ...

Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 PM

465 posts, read 507,668 times
I hear Minneapolis has the most amount of interracial relationships in the country percentage wise. I hear they're really good with racial relations unfortunately we all have to deal with some sort of stereotypes. I say this as someone who in a couple of ways is a minority and I date a biracial girl. I live in a small city in TN so you can imagine how that goes...

Old 12-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
I hear Minneapolis has the most amount of interracial relationships in the country percentage wise. I hear they're really good with racial relations unfortunately we all have to deal with some sort of stereotypes. I say this as someone who in a couple of ways is a minority and I date a biracial girl. I live in a small city in TN so you can imagine how that goes...
Is it Johnson City TN by any chance?I have gone there a couple of time with friends who are from there and I see it every where.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:07 PM

803 posts, read 1,264,240 times
Default Personal experience time

The only people who gave my ex-girlfriend and I a tough time for being an inter-ethnic couples were people who moved down south from out west or from up north. Southerners just thought we were both a bunch of Mexicans lol (she was Puerto Rican so she didn't like being called Mexican and I am Indian).

Makes me just wonder about those areas sometimes, like how tough it would be for me as an Indian to live in lets say a rich suburb in Jersey.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,726 times
lol a lot of people here think im mexican to but i live in a small town in kentucky right now and some people call me terrorist which i dont get because im indian, people here dont get out much and they dont know that much about the world i just mixed in with them and became there friends but some people are really dumb too and they still call me names so i just ignore them i cant wait till i move a bigger better city like atlanta where people wont bother me and they wont stare at you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City