Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:30 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Who's being sensitive? You said something that was quite frankly idiotic and extremely unlikely to occur and you think people calling you out on that is being a homer?

What bizzaro planet do you live on?
The fact that you losers think that it's an extremely rare, virtually impossible occurance if someone uses a racial slur speaks volumes about your mentality.There are plenty of racists in Atlanta just like any major city. Unbunch your panties and get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,018 times
I see the typical Atlanta homers are out defending their city yet again . . . surprise, surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Oh please. Tell me what your reaction is anytime anyone suggests that people in Minneapolis sound just like the people in the movie Fargo?
Laughter, followed by disbelief. I usually brush it off.

Quote:
Someone stated something that would be a really, really bizarre happening in Atlanta or anywhere in the immediate area occurring on three different occasions. Don't think people from said city would feel like it was made up when people who live there could never imagine it happening, especially with that type of frequency?

Contradict yourself much? It happened to me in Atlanta, but not in Atlanta, in a rural area? Uh, what?
It was in a rural area then that is now part of Atlanta's sprawl. It still qualifies as the "Atlanta area," which is what my post said. No contradiction here.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,505,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
WTF??? You do realize the south already had established gay neighborhoods during the 60s right??? It appears you lack history knowledge of the south.

Everything I've stated apparently flew right above your head because your arguing about stuff that is irrelevant to what we're talking about.
Are you including Key West and Miami?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Are you including Key West and Miami?
Yes, along with Houston, Atlanta, Dallas and more.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yes, along with Houston, Atlanta, Dallas and more.
So where exactly were these gay neighborhoods in Houston Dallas or Atlanta, in the 60s. Do they have a name?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
So where exactly were these gay neighborhoods in Houston Dallas or Atlanta, in the 60s. Do they have a name?
All I know about is Montrose is Houston and Oak Lawn in Dallas. I can't tell you about Atlanta, but ATL "downlow" scene started becoming very prominent during the Motown era.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:58 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
He probably meant by the 70s.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
yeah, late 70s when disco got popular in Dallas...

just letting him talk..I didn't expect a legit answer.

Montrose Houston:

Also starting around the 1970s the area became known as the center for the gay and lesbian community of Houston.

OK, well that one didn't work.

and as for Oak Lawn...

Running through the center of Oak Lawn from downtown to Love Field is Cedar Springs Road, which has housed the center of the Dallas gay community (also called the Dallas-Gayborhood) for over 35 years at the intersection of Cedar Springs Road and Throckmorton Street.

lets see, 35 years...would be 1975.

when did the disco era start again?
60s are not the 70s... 60s were far outttt man, and the south was a bit behind as was Chicago a bit compared to NYC/SF.

I'm pretty sure New Orleans gay scene was a predecessor to those in Dal/Hou/Atl as well...

Last edited by grapico; 12-28-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 12-28-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
60s to 70s??? Is it really a difference and plus these cities have never been big on enclaves like up north. They all had a gay scene well in the 60s.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:14 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,993,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The fact that you losers think that it's an extremely rare, virtually impossible occurance if someone uses a racial slur speaks volumes about your mentality.There are plenty of racists in Atlanta just like any major city. Unbunch your panties and get over it.
Way to keep it classy, bub. Have fun in your fantasyland

If this isn't an extremely rare occurrence in Atlanta, then why not make it easy on people and just say when and where it happened. It's your story, but so far the only proof you have offered up (aside from insults) is to say that "It happened." Do you really think that the posters on here calling you out are lying (despite the fact most of them are black including myself) to cover up some sort of epidemic problem?

Last edited by waronxmas; 12-28-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City