Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:19 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,527,747 times

Advertisements

BTW, I lived off Piedmont Ave in a complex called Ansley Forest. I also lived in Smyrna right of 285 and I-20 and on Claremont Road not too far away from Lenox Mall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, what is pathetic is you making things up to further your extremely well known anti-South agenda around here.
If I wanted to truly bash the south there is plenty of material to work with. I don't need to make anything up. To be honest, I didn't realize there would be such a strong reaction from the locals. What a bunch of sensitive homers.

If someone said that they had a similar experience in Chicago I wouldn't bat an eye.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
BTW, I lived off Piedmont Ave in a complex called Ansley Forest. I also lived in Smyrna right of 285 and I-20 and on Claremont Road not too far away from Lenox Mall.
I still don't believe you. I used to live down the street from Ansley Forest, and have lived on Clairmont for 16 years. What you are claiming makes about as much sense as the same thing happening outside of Watertower Place.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I still don't believe you. I used to live down the street from Ansley Forest, and have lived on Clairmont for 16 years. What you are claiming makes about as much sense as the same thing happening outside of Watertower Place.
None of those areas are comparable to North Michigan Ave but whatever...

Old 12-28-2010, 05:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,289,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
If I wanted to truly bash the south there is plenty of material to work with. I don't need to make anything up. To be honest, I didn't realize there would be such a strong reaction from the locals. What a bunch of sensitive homers.

If someone said that they had a similar experience in Chicago I wouldn't bat an eye.
Nor would I. Chicago's racism is major league compared to Atlanta's.

MLK basically said the same thing. According to him, Chicago was THE most racist city he ever visited.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Nor would I. Chicago's racism is major league compared to Atlanta's.

MLK basically said the same thing. According to him, Chicago was THE most racist city he ever visited.
Atlanta isn't really any better than Chicago in that respect today. The funny thing is that there are Chicago homers similar to yourself that swear racism doesn't exist in the city.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,516,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What the?

I lived in Atlanta all of my life and never once had that happen to me. Not to call you a liar, but you need to be more specific about where this occurred and when as it seems pretty unlikely.
Goodness, I've never heard anything like that either. I grew up in the 50s and in those days grownups (in Atlanta) would have ripped the head off a kid who talked like that. I can't say it didn't happen out in the country but even out there everybody knew it was a bad word you weren't supposed to say.

Seems odd that it would happen in modern Atlanta since we've been a majority black city for 40 years.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:47 PM

803 posts, read 1,257,672 times
I have not had anything close to that happen to me when I visited Atlanta.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:20 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,351,252 times
Why are Southerners (especially Atlantans) so defensive when anyone talks negatively about the South? I just don't get it -- people talk about the Midwest all the time, but Midwesterners don't get upset.

As far as the Atlanta area "n-word" experience, it's happened to me many times (yes, I used to live in GA, and I'm not even 100% black). You know how often I've heard it up north? Once. To be fair, my experiences happened in rural GA during the 1990s, not Atlanta's core.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:29 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,351,252 times
Personally, I think it's ridiculous to say any place is "more racist" than another in 2010. There's racists everywhere, and non-racists everywhere. You may be more likely to experience hatred in places like Louisiana or Mississippi, but you probably won't have to face large-scale racial violence or discrimination there, let alone in urban areas and the rural north. Today, Blacks (and Asians) can live anywhere in North America in peace. Yes, there may be a few idiots wherever you go, but you just have to ignore them and get on with your lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City