U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:10 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,409,621 times

Advertisements

In California, I vote for Bakersfield. I have never been there, but heard it is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:42 PM

508 posts, read 475,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It also seems that Petersburg doesn't have the best reputation in VA, but being in Richmond's metro might help it out just a bit in that regard.
Ahh, Petersburg, I almost forgot! You're right, the city doesn't have a very positive reputation. Like Danville, it kind of needs some tlc and investment, but it was nice seeing bits and pieces of it in Spielberg's Lincoln. It being in Richmond's metro probably does hide it from the direct scrutiny that Danville gets, than it would get on its own.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM

11,931 posts, read 9,691,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Is there a certain city in your State that one could considered to be an outcast or a "black sheep" among the State's other cities?
Camden, NJ.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:12 PM

360 posts, read 321,791 times
In Maryland I'd have to say an area that has a negative reputation is Dundalk. Truthfully, I find Dundalk to be a pretty cool place because the Baltimore Accent is very prevelant in the community and because of its histroy as a community of 20th Century blue collar families.

Here's a two reasons as to why Dundalk, Md. gets a bad rap though:

1. During WWII, Baltimore experienced a large influx a residents hailing from Appalachia to work in factories such as Bethlehem Steel & Martin State Airport. During this period the population of Baltimore City is believed to have swelled to just over 1 million residents. This would be short lived as after the war, both war veterans and factory workers looked to Baltimore County for less cramped conditions. It's my understanding the Baltimore County established Dundalk as the community for affordable housing, thus many of the factory workers who decided to stay in the Baltimore area rather than move back to Appalachia moved to Dundalk. This is why many Baltimore natives view Dundalk as "hickish" compared other parts of the region.

2. Back River Wastewater Treatment Plant. This is probably the biggest reason as to why there are those who view Dundalk in a negative manner. Baltimore's 400 plus acre sewage treatment plant is located within the community along the Back River and has been for years. Although upgrades have been made to the plant in recent decades to improve QoL and mitigate environmental risks, historically the plant has a foul history (no pun intended). For years raw sewage was dumped into the Back River. This process does not continue today, however the 24/7 burning of methane gas constantly reminds visitors of the sewage plant.

Again, I actually think Dundalk is a pretty cool place. It's one of Baltimore's first post war suburbs so its cool to drive around and think about America of the mid 1950s. Again, very blue collar and defintiely worth a visit if you're truly interested in early inner-ring suburbs.

Below is a link to Urban Dictionary with descriptions of Dundalk. Lots of haters unfortunately:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dundalk

Old 05-29-2013, 05:43 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,560,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
In California, I vote for Bakersfield. I have never been there, but heard it is horrible.
How is that any different from the rest of the LA metro? But all Kidding aside I would say Tacoma. It's almost like a 2nd class city in the state. Constantly made fun of.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 AM

14,009 posts, read 22,028,822 times
Culturally for Florida it would make sense for it to be J'Ville, but so much of the panhandle is culturally similar, and the panhandle is big. Orlando is the only in-land big city in Florida, also Central Florida and North Central Florida are one of the few region's in Florida in which the landscape is moderately Hilly. A lot of rolling hills in that area. Especially the city of Clermont just 25mins West of DT Orlando. Outside of the architecture, that whole region doesn't even look like most of Florida. So Central and North Central Florida might be the black sheep of the state:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=clerm...bp=12,315,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=clerm...292.23,,0,7.33

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=clerm...12,347.82,,0,0

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=clerm...&cbp=12,0,,0,0

Last edited by polo89; 05-30-2013 at 12:47 AM..

Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM

4,245 posts, read 5,771,250 times
Probably Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or