U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:41 PM

1,771 posts, read 1,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xAaknXZBy4&feature=fvsr

I think the accent its kind of fun to listen to. Unique if nothing else.
that was funny, but exaggerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 04:00 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,772,796 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
dc residents shouldnt laugh either at accents either.
Ima leave the accent alone but yall be sayin some stuff that be havin me like tho...for example "zink" instead on sink....or "I went to the market"...instead of the just saying the store....which store you go to? "I went to the Giant's" instead of singular pronoun Giant...When did you go? "Im going on tomorrow" or "on yesterday"...instead of just saying tomorrow or yesterday...i caught a lady talkin bout "you want a oinch" instead of an orange...

Old 01-28-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
Ima leave the accent alone but yall be sayin some stuff that be havin me like tho...for example "zink" instead on sink....or "I went to the market"...instead of the just saying the store....which store you go to? "I went to the Giant's" instead of singular pronoun Giant...When did you go? "Im going on tomorrow" or "on yesterday"...instead of just saying tomorrow or yesterday...i caught a lady talkin bout "you want a oinch" instead of an orange...
I hear people say sink a lot. The who "market" "store" thing is a little different, because they are called "supermarket" and "grocery store". But "on yesterday" I never heard that. I hear people say OINCH...lol

Old 01-28-2011, 04:20 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,772,796 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
I hear people say sink a lot. The who "market" "store" thing is a little different, because they are called "supermarket" and "grocery store". But "on yesterday" I never heard that. I hear people say OINCH...lol
maybe im paying too much attention but regardless who says im goin to the market when referring to Giant Safeway Superfresh CVS....oh and K-mart's...k'mart's what?

Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
maybe im paying too much attention but regiardless who says im goin to the market when referring to Giant Safeway Superfresh CVS....oh and K-mart's...k'mart's what?
blame Baltimore city public schools.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 AM

314 posts, read 351,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Oh really?

Baltimore is not smaller than Philadelphia? It also doesn't have a higher percentage of blacks than Philadelphia? You think I just made all of that up? The question of pace is a subjective one, but I think that most reasonable minds would say that Philadelphia has much more hustle and bustle than Baltimore.

Anyone who's spent more than two hours in Baltimore knows about their strange dialect. They also know that the women there have a penchant for dyed-hair and dudes are still rockin' hair braids like it's '98.

Felicia Pearson is so Baltimore. The look, the accent, and everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-uY7P3pe4
That dyke reminds me of an slower Da brat

Old 01-29-2011, 08:18 AM

145 posts, read 167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Ednor Gardens maybe? Can't think of any closer examples of that type shown than in Ednor Gardens.

Baltimore does have a very diverse housing stock, though. Don't know enough about philly housing though to tell a fair story.

I think if i was from anywhere else, i would go with Philly because it is bigger and grander. But I love Baltimore, and i have to go with it. I love the city. I may be moving to either Baltimore or Philly in the not too distant future. So if i do, no matter what city i arrive in, its a win win - both offer everything i could want from a city!
Baltimore's housing stock is actually more diverse than Philly's although Philly has a more diverse population. The old, working class rowhomes in both cities look very similar. But as far as the bigger rowhomes (the former residences of the old upper class/upper-middle class) each city has styles that are unique and not found in the other. For instance, some of the big stone and brick rowhomes along Eutaw street running from Druid Hill Park to about the State Building/Martin Luther King Ave. are different from anything that I've seen in Philly. I actually prefer that style over most of the Philly rowhomes.

As far as the diversity of the housing stock, Baltimore's housing is more diverse than people with only a superficial knowledge of the city seem to think. I think that's because most outsiders only visit the Harbor/Downtown area, and all of the sections of the city surrounding that area are the older, working-class rowhouse areas--that are now either gentrified or still impoverished & deteriorating.

The main difference between the two (as far as housing) is that Philly is almost "exclusively" a rowhouse city whereas Baltimore is just "predominantly" a rowhouse city. A separate, single-family home can be obtained much more easily in Baltimore than in Philly (it's damn near impossible in Philly). In Baltimore, once you go above North Avenue, you can find several neighborhoods (in both the Northwest and the Northeast) that consist of single-family houses of various styles. I don't really know all of the official names of the neighborhoods, but I think it's places like Ashburton, Howard Park, Forest Park, etc. on the western end of the city side and the Echodale, Waltherson, and others, on the Northeastern side.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:41 AM

3,898 posts, read 8,097,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post

The main difference between the two (as far as housing) is that Philly is almost "exclusively" a rowhouse city whereas Baltimore is just "predominantly" a rowhouse city.

Philly has its fair share of non-row home neighborhoods as well.Mostly in the NW and NE parts of the city.

Last edited by JMT; 06-21-2011 at 05:53 AM.. Reason: Removed pics; please see forum sticky.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 AM

145 posts, read 167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Philly has its fair share of non-row home neighborhoods as well.Mostly in the NW and NE parts of the city.
Yeah, I know about those areas of Philly--that's why I said Philly is "almost" an exclusively rowhouse city. But Baltimore city simply has MORE areas & neighborhoods that have single family homes--and styles of single family homes that are rare or non-existant anywhere within the city limits of Philly. And some of these areas are well within the city limits of Baltimore (along the Charles street corridor, off of Garrison and Liberty Heights Avenues on the westside, off of Cold Spring Lane, Walther Ave, and Echodale on the eastside, and so forth. Perhaps some of the Baltimore natives can post images of some of those areas...I don't feel like doing all that.

But when I first came to Baltimore to go to school, I didn't know my way around most of the city. When friends would drive me to certain areas, I would assume that we were out in the suburbs somewhere--but would be told that we were actually still in Baltimore city. Now, although each of these areas have single-family homes, some of them are still "the hood," some are working-class & middle-class, and others are more upscale (particularly in the upper-central core of the city above Johns Hopkins' Homewood Campus).

Last edited by JMT; 06-21-2011 at 05:53 AM..

Old 01-30-2011, 10:05 AM

854 posts, read 1,381,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad443 View Post
Yeah, I know about those areas of Philly--that's why I said Philly is "almost" an exclusively rowhouse city. But Baltimore city simply has MORE areas & neighborhoods that have single family homes--and styles of single family homes that are rare or non-existant anywhere within the city limits of Philly. And some of these areas are well within the city limits of Baltimore (along the Charles street corridor, off of Garrison and Liberty Heights Avenues on the westside, off of Cold Spring Lane, Walther Ave, and Echodale on the eastside, and so forth. Perhaps some of the Baltimore natives can post images of some of those areas...I don't feel like doing all that.

But when I first came to Baltimore to go to school, I didn't know my way around most of the city. When friends would drive me to certain areas, I would assume that we were out in the suburbs somewhere--but would be told that we were actually still in Baltimore city. Now, although each of these areas have single-family homes, some of them are still "the hood," some are working-class & middle-class, and others are more upscale (particularly in the upper-central core of the city above Johns Hopkins' Homewood Campus).
There are also areas in the northeast section of Philly that have single family homes. Like if you didnt know it you would think you were in the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City