U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 07:29 PM

12,391 posts, read 23,761,585 times

Advertisements

Consider these areas. The Texas Triangle is often touted, as is the research triangle. But there is another triangle in the south that does not get as much recognition. Birmingham, Chattanooga, Atlanta

The major cities in the Texas Triangle are Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and Fort Worth. Additional MSAs in the region include College Station-Bryan, Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood and Waco.

The major cities in the Bham-Atlantanooga Triangel are Birmingham, Atlanta, Chattanooga. formed by i20, i59, i75. It actually makes a better Triangle shape. Additional fringe cities if Texas gets those would be Athens and Huntsville and Tuscaloosa given it the power of NASA and the SEC schools flanking it of UA and UGA.
You have the corporate power and capital of the south Atlanta, history of Birmingham, Emory, GTech, UGA, Spelman, UAB, UA, NASA vs mountains and additional history and business of Chattanooga vs Texas UT Rice Baylor etc,

Who has strongest economy?
Best Shopping?
Best Nightlife?
Best Restaurants?
Most Successful?
Best Nature?
Best QOL?
Best COL?
Best sports?
Best weather?
Best history?
Most important?
Where would you rather live?

Last edited by grapico; 12-25-2010 at 07:41 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 07:35 PM

818 posts, read 1,098,645 times
Who has strongest economy? Tex Triangle
Best Shopping? Tex Triangle
Best Nightlife? Tex Triangle
Best Restaurants? Tex Triangle, more variety, more flavors, Mexican
Most Successful? Tex Triangle
Best Nature? Tex Triangle, Hill Country is supposed to be scenic from the pix I have seen
Best QOL? Tex Triangle
Best COL? Tex Triangle

This isn't even a competition. I came in here trying not to be bias and noticed the entire thing was a Tex Triangle dominance. The -35 corridor, with Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio by itself crushes the competition and then throw in Houston and all hell springs about the obliteration of Atlanta's Triangle.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:38 PM

I would have to disagree on shopping and nightlife and restaurants, also scenery, qol and col. I will wait for some more contributions though. You left out sports and weather, I was adding a few categories. Now this is one area I definitely think ATL Bham will win especially with GT, UGA, UA, how can it compete at least on the college level.

Old 12-25-2010, 07:46 PM

818 posts, read 1,098,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would have to disagree on shopping and nightlife, also scenery, qol and col. I will wait for some more contributions though.
Shopping between these is best in Tex Triangle. Dallas alone is the most upscale shopping destination out of them all. Houston and Atlanta are about even. Birmingham being compared to San Antonio or Austin in shopping? LMAO
Nightlife- I am not a street thug, I don't like to "boogie it on down" with rejects like Usher. Dallas has a decent techno scene, Houston with Jazz, and Austin with rock and live music
Scenery- Houston's area is coastal, and there are hills, forests, rivers near Austin and San Antonio to occupy scenery over the landlocked Atlanta-Birmingham Triangle.
QOL- why would anyone want to live in the deep south?
COL- Texas is cheaper to live in than AL, MS, GA, etc... and there are no state income taxes in Texas...
http://www.missourieconomy.org/image...l3q10_map1.jpg
http://www.missourieconomy.org/image...q10_chart1.jpg
Best sports? Atlanta-Birmingham
Best weather? Tex Triangle
Best history? Atlanta-Birmingham (deep south history)
Most important? Tex Triangle
Where would you rather live? Tex Triangle

Last edited by Beretta; 12-25-2010 at 07:57 PM.. Reason: changed images to url's due to copyright

Old 12-25-2010, 08:09 PM

14,005 posts, read 21,953,057 times
Quote:
I would have to disagree on shopping and nightlife and restaurants, also scenery, qol and col. I will wait for some more contributions though. You left out sports and weather, I was adding a few categories. Now this is one area I definitely think ATL Bham will win especially with GT, UGA, UA, how can it compete at least on the college level.
Shopping might be the most definitive win for the Texas Triangle in this debate. The rest are iffy(most of them probably lean towards the TT though). ATL is good in shopping, but DAL and Houston vs ATL? That's a hard battle to win.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:15 PM

3,207 posts, read 4,505,860 times
Jeez, Atlanta has to duke it out with the four big Texas cities, and we only get Chattanooga and Birmingham to back us up? Obviously Texas wins most categories.

We've probably got a reasonable argument for weather, history, and nature. The rest? I'm sorry, no.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,179,036 times
Who has strongest economy? The Texaplex. By both economic health and by economic size.

By GDP-
Team Texaplex:
- Houston: $407 Billion GDP
- Dallas-Fort Worth: $384 Billion GDP
- San Antonio: $82 Billion
- Austin: $81 Billion
Total: $954 Billion GDP

Team Bham-Atlantanooga:
- Atlanta: $262 Billion GDP
- Birmingham: $54 Billion GDP
- Chattanooga: $20 Billion GDP
- Huntsville: $19 Billion GDP
Total: $355 Billion GDP

Source: http://www.usmayors.org/metroeconomies/0110/charts.pdf

By Unemployment Rate-
Team Texaplex:
- Houston: 8.2%
- Dallas-Fort Worth: 8.0%
- Austin: 6.8%
- San Antonio: 7.3%

Team Bham Atlantanooga:
- Atlanta: 9.7%
- Chattanooga: 8.2%
- Birmingham: 8.7%

Source: Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Best Shopping?
Dallas-Fort Worth > Houston = Atlanta > San Antonio = Austin > Birmingham = Chattanooga

Best Nightlife? The Texaplex. Houston = Atlanta = Dallas-Fort Worth > Austin = San Antonio > Everyone else

Best Restaurants? The Texaplex. Houston = Atlanta = Dallas-Fort Worth > San Antonio = Austin > Everyone else

Most Successful? The Texaplex. It grew larger numerically, Austin between both regions grew the fastest, Texas has been adding jobs like wildfire compare to the rest of the country, and has the larger economy and larger corporate base.

Best Nature? Texaplex. If it wasn't for the beaches in Galveston & Houston then I would say toss up. Otherwise I give Texaplex the edge by a bit.

Best QOL? Subjective.

Best COL? Texaplex.

Best sports? Bham Atlantanooga for college, Texaplex for professional
Professional Sports-
Texaplex:
- 2 NFL Teams
- 2 NBA Teams
- 2 MLB Teams
- 1 NHL Team
- 2 MLS Teams

Bham Atlantanooga:
- 1 NBA Team
- 1 NFL Team
- 1 NHL Team
- 1 MLB Team

College Sports-
Texaplex:
- University of Texas
- Texas A&M University
- University of Houston
- Texas Southern University
- University of Texas at San Antonio
- Rice University
- University of Texas at Dallas
- Trinity University
- Some other schools (too many to list for sports)

Bham Atlantanooga:
- University of Georgia
- Emory University
- Georgia Tech
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University of Montevallo
- I am not familiar with the rest

Best weather? Bham Atlantanooga has 4 distinct seasons and summer is probably less humid. But Texaplex has better durable winter weather.

Best history? Well honestly its Bham Atlantanooga, but growing up in Texas, the history here got its word out.

Most important? Texaplex. Larger population center and larger economy and larger corporate base.

Where would you rather live? I could live in Atlanta and be very happy. But I like the variety of options in the Texaplex more.

I'll provide some pictures to get this started of the scenery and let someone from the other team get the pictures for their region to show it.

Scenery in the Texaplex:
Near San Marcos River (Austin Metro)-

Lake Houston (Houston Metro)-

The Hill Country (Between Austin & San Antonio)-

Lake Travis (Austin Metro)-

And Coastal Areas-
Galveston (Houston Metro)-

Old 12-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Jeez, Atlanta has to duke it out with the four big Texas cities, and we only get Chattanooga and Birmingham to back us up? Obviously Texas wins most categories.

We've probably got a reasonable argument for weather, history, and nature. The rest? I'm sorry, no.
I thought about expanding the triangle to include savannah or something but can't find a good interstate triangle range. It looks like Texas has too much firepower, it doesn't even look like a triangle. Maybe better is Austin San Antonio Houston triangle to be fair. But thatisn't the real texas triangle, or is it? I'm thinking about extending the triangle to nashville. See Atlanta/Birmingham/Nashville and the comparable triangle it forms.

People always say the Piedmont but I think NC has it's own thing going on.I need some more economic firepower, or atleast an overwhelming cultural firepower influence coming from nashville. the nashville, atl, bham would be about a 600 mile perimeter triangle, san antonio/dallas/houston is about 700

Last edited by grapico; 12-25-2010 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 PM

10,171 posts, read 12,179,036 times
Quote:
I thought about expanding the triangle to include savannah or something but can't find a good interstate triangle range.
Yeah. This comparison would be interesting without Houston. Houston adding in $407 Billion to the economic output (GDP) and another 6 Million people, and also a seaport and coastline really tipped it heavily to the Texaplex's favor.

Dallas-Fort Worth is also a heavy hitter, its economic output (GDP) which is only a bit smaller than Houston's is still larger than Bham-Atlantanooga's combined economic output (GDP).

I think an interesting comparison would have been Dallas-Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, & Tulsa against Bham-Atlantanooga. Both regions would be land trapped, so it wouldn't favor either one drastically. And the population levels would be more leveled.

Doing a Houston, Austin, & San Antonio against Bham-Atlantanooga is still way too much of a force. It would have double the economic output (GDP) of Bham-Atlantanooga, and about double the population also.
The same with Dallas-Fort Worth, Austin, & San Antonio too, it just like the description above would be very limited for Bham-Atlantanooga.

I think a Dallas-Fort Worth, Little Rock, & Oklahoma City Triangle against Bham-Atlantanooga would be more closer. Or a Dallas-Fort Worth, Tulsa, & Oklahoma City Triangle (even though it would be narrow) would be much closer.

Houston + either Austin or San Antonio (Both) just tips it way too far into the Texas Triangle's favor. Dallas-Fort Worth can go head to head with Atlanta, but both Austin & San Antonio are larger than Chattanooga & Birmingham, with more nightlife options, dining options, diversity, larger population (by a good bit) and larger economy (by a good bit). Oklahoma City, Little Rock, or Tulsa would level this off into the same ball range.

Dallas-Fort Worth, Oklahoma City, Little Rock (or Tulsa, whichever one) would be close to even in comparison with Atlanta, Chattanooga, & Birmingham.

Atlanta = Dallas-Fort Worth
Birmingham = Oklahoma City + Tulsa
Chattanooga = Little Rock

Old 12-25-2010, 09:15 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,420,682 times
Quote:
I thought about expanding the triangle to include savannah or something but can't find a good interstate triangle range. It looks like Texas has too much firepower, it doesn't even look like a triangle. Maybe better is Austin San Antonio Houston triangle to be fair. But thatisn't the real texas triangle, or is it? I'm thinking about extending the triangle to nashville. See Atlanta/Birmingham/Nashville and the comparable triangle it forms.

People always say the Piedmont but I think NC has it's own thing going on.I need some more economic firepower, or atleast an overwhelming cultural firepower influence coming from nashville. the nashville, atl, bham would be about a 600 mile perimeter triangle, san antonio/dallas/houston is about 700
It's hard to say because outside of the triangle in Texas, there aren't really any sizable metros for a vast distance (except for OKC I think) whereas in the "southeastern triangle" (a made up term) you also have Greenville, Charlotte, Nashville, Knoxville all close by (within two hours from one of the other listed cities - all within 4 hours of ATL).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City