U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 59 19.34%
Chicago 248 81.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:07 PM

228 posts, read 196,720 times

Advertisements

I found City Data the City vs City Data site by accident. I have posted from time to time in hope of reasonable dialogue. You are reasonable, 95% of the poster's/poser are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 10:13 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,621,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Freight, banking, and commodity exchanges can be done anywhere. The media/entertainment industry is so centered in LA, that it can't just pick up stakes to easily.

Chicago has to watch itself more carefully. It has to keep up that beautiful skyline and lakefront, keep the taxes low, crime and corruption under control so that financial institutions don't start looking down south (Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas).

However, there is too much invested in terms of studios, etc. invested in LA. That stuffs not going anywhere.
Whaaaa???? Freight can be done anywhere? How so? Only some cities have ports, only some cities are centrally located.

Exchanges can be done anywhere? Is that why the Pacific Exchange when they tried it went kablammo?

If anything it *is* the studios that are fleeing LA and going global as well as manufacturing while trading and banking has become more central and exclusive to only a few cities in the global network. Freight is a no brainer, it can only logistically be done in a few cities unless some kind of Star Trek like technology is invented to move and distribute said freight.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:20 PM

818 posts, read 458,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
I bet one of the main reasons why Chicago MSA would rank higher than LA MSA, is because LA is close to the border, and so therefore takes a more full brunt of desperate immigration from Mexico than other cities for the past several decades. Thus having more poorer people would bring that wealth ranking down.
First of all, I grew up in LA and its one of the only 3 cities I have ever lived in. I lived in LA for the first 23 years of my life, and I know it well enough thank you very much.

Chicago MSA ranks higher than LA MSA because LA's economy has been suffering for a long time now, well before the recession. Lots of manufacturing companies started to pack up and leave LA. LA lost the Pacific Exchange program in 2001. Chicago's CME in comparison just bought out NYC's NYMEX and now Chicago competes with London in commodity exchange. Which is a larger global industry than entertainment, by revenue and by size.

Please don't make these excuses, LA and Miami decided to make themselves into gateway cities for immigrants that would weigh them down and that's what's keeping them behind. LA needs better education it ranks near the bottom of the barrel in education. LA brought that on itself just like Chicago didn't act on its ghettos problem earlier.
Quote:
Chicago however has vast swaths of rustbelt, where residents who have been there for a few generations live in communities dominated by heavy industry, steel mills, factories that have been closed down, and MUST commute many miles to find work. Many parts of Chicagoland south and east of I-55 are in the same boat as northwest Indiana (Gary, etc).

Southern California, simply doesn't have the swaths of economically dead areas the way south Chicagoland/NW Indiana does. Not to say that it hasn't been hurt by defense contracts closing, etc. it does. But parts of Chicagoland are VERY geographically isolated from the economic engines of Chicago. (downtown and the O'Hare area, and the I-88 corridor to a lesser extent.)
Ya and parts of LA CSA are more than half a days drive away from downtown LA. I don't see what the point of saying parts of Chicagoland isolated is supposed to mean.

LA was a baby when Chicago was a big city, LA is a newer city, a Sunbelt city. IMO the hate for LA on these forums is pointless, LA never got the same chance to develop like NYC, Philly, Chicago, its still very young compared to them and its starting to mature right now. LA has possibly the most ambitious rail expansion plan in the nation. But lots of areas in LA are degenerating and becoming worse and crumbling in economic ruin right now. 20 minutes from where my parents live, there are neighborhoods that are emptying up and becoming lifeless with stores being boarded up and foreclosures everywhere. LA's economy is in the tank at the moment.
Quote:
Once again Chicago media/entertainment industry is almost negligible.

Freight, banking, and commodity exchanges can be done anywhere. The media/entertainment industry is so centered in LA, that it can't just pick up stakes to easily.
Then tell me something. Why do you think the entertainment industry cant be done everywhere just like commodity exchange, freight, banking?

In fact if it can be done anywhere, then why hasn't LA done it? Let me answer that to you as a LA native, because it left LA. LA was a large banking center but that slowly disappeared, LA was a commodity exchange location with Pacific Exchange, but that closed down in 2001.
Pacific Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Chicago has to watch itself more carefully. It has to keep up that beautiful skyline and lakefront, keep the taxes low, crime and corruption under control so that financial institutions don't start looking down south (Charlotte, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas).

However, there is too much invested in terms of studios, etc. invested in LA. That stuffs not going anywhere.
Are you joking? LA has been losing its studios for a while now. Its been losing it to other cities. There was a actually a thread on it earlier last week, and it showed where those studios and film companies are going.

LA has done a much better job with crime than Chicago has, but your not following along if you think Chicago has been losing more of its economic clout than LA has. LA has lost several industries in the last 15 years that will never come back. LA has had to close down many of its private industries just because its been losing out to competition.

I am not saying Chicago is doing well but it is doing wayyy better than LA is. I have faith in my hometown though, LA can pull itself back up and it will one day, LA if it tries harder can make itself the best city this country has to offer, IMO. It has the weather, the landscape, the location, the population. All it needs is the education, the economy, the driving force that will take it to the top. LA is still searching for its strength, and it will find it.

Last edited by Infamous Past; 12-27-2010 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,621,451 times
Nobody checked out my pics of LA CSA on the previous page???? I'm considering doing a thread on that... amazing.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Nobody checked out my pics of LA CSA on the previous page???? I'm considering doing a thread on that... amazing.
I viewed them. LA CSA is the same size as all of New England by land area. LA CSA if I am not mistaken is the largest CSA by land area in the nation.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Whaaaa???? Freight can be done anywhere? How so? Only some cities have ports, only some cities are centrally located.

Exchanges can be done anywhere? Is that why the Pacific Exchange when they tried it went kablammo?

If anything it *is* the studios that are fleeing LA and going global as well as manufacturing while trading and banking has become more central and exclusive to only a few cities in the global network. Freight is a no brainer, it can only logistically be done in a few cities unless some kind of Star Trek like technology is invented to move and distribute said freight.
Ya. Pacific Exchange, which was the commodity exchange program in LA and SF was bought out by NYMEX in 2001 and NYMEX was recently bought out by CME in Chicago.

Chicago has branches now due to the merger with NYMEX and all NYMEX subsidiary's (i.e Pacific Exchange) in LA and SF. Chicago's role in commodity exchange is the largest futures trade program in the world now with London coming second. Chicago has operations on both US coasts and the futures exchange program in Chicago is unrivaled by anything else in commodity exchange in the US. LA's film industry while shrinking has rivalry from NYC and all other cities in the country and world. Many of which have surpassed LA (i.e NYC, Hong Kong, Mumbai, and Shanghai is about to).
Pacific Exchange - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-27-2010, 10:51 PM

650 posts, read 557,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Creole/Cajun?? Nope. Tex-Mex??? Nope. Seafood?? Nope.
Thank You! It's hard to top that combination. Not to mention all The Vietnamese and Thai restaurants here. The idea that Chicago Food is better than ours is frivolous. It may be more known, but it's not better.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:54 PM

650 posts, read 557,881 times
And for the record I have many friends who moved to Houston from Chicago and a majority of them have NO plans to go back. Does that mean Houston is better, NO. But it counts for something. I highly doubt you can find many Houston transplants in Chicago.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Thank You! It's hard to top that combination. Not to mention all The Vietnamese and Thai restaurants here. The idea that Chicago Food is better than ours is frivolous. It may be more known, but it's not better.
I agree to an extent.

Chicago does have much more top restaurants than Houston, but really what % of the total population can afford places like that? Only a small % can. So I do agree Houston does have a great dining scene to satisfy its population just as Chicago does. Same can be said for Atlanta, Philly, Boston, all of which may not have as many top restaurants as Chicago, SF, or NYC but all have a strong center for restaurants to serve their population.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 AM

4,028 posts, read 4,227,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
on the rise??? rise of what????
All your posts here have been you whining and using strawman arguments. Stop complaining when someone says something positive about Chicago, I haven't mentioned Houston so there is no way you can feel put off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City