Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 63 19.81%
Chicago 257 80.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times

Advertisements

God I hate this thread. Two of my favorite cities in the US and both sides do not really know much about the other except that one is dense and one is sprawled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That makes perfect sense - I think people were just implying that if you want to be away from the towering skyscrapers near the beach - just go to one of the 25 in the city that isn't downtown. Up on the north side around montrose, the park area is large enough that the beach is almost 1/2 mile away from any built up areas or "city".
I got that, but that was never what the discussion was about.

Grapico used the beaches being located near downtown as a selling point and I simply stated that I don't want to go downtown for beaches. I know Chicago has more beaches, but we were speaking specifically about the ones near the downtown area.

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
That's great, but we were talking specifically about the one downtown.
You obviously haven't been to Chicago if you're saying "the one" downtown. One? Like the single one?

Also, how does this help your argument is there is not a single one in houston to make that comparison to? Actually, the entire argument that's being made about how bad a beach downtown is (where you're obviously talking without knowing since you're making obviously false statements about the beaches in downtown Chicago) ridiculous because you can simply go further out to a beach that isn't downtown. Chicago has the option of going to the beach downtown or going to a beach that's not in downtown. That's definitely a good thing. Even if we're going with "different strokes for different folks" it's better on this front because Chicago offers either stroke of your picking.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:39 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,041,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
God I hate this thread. Two of my favorite cities in the US and both sides do not really know much about the other except that one is dense and one is sprawled.
Yeah that's exactly how I feel about this thread too.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
You obviously haven't been to Chicago if you're saying "the one" downtown. One? Like the single one?

Also, how does this help your argument is there is not a single one in houston to make that comparison to? Actually, the entire argument that's being made about how bad a beach downtown is (where you're obviously talking without knowing since you're making obviously false statements about the beaches in downtown Chicago) ridiculous because you can simply go further out to a beach that isn't downtown. Chicago has the option of going to the beach downtown or going to a beach that's not in downtown. That's definitely a good thing. Even if we're going with "different strokes for different folks" it's better on this front because Chicago offers either stroke of your picking.

And you obviosuly didn't read what was posted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Actually the grass was just until a day ago nice and green still b/c the snow covered it for awhile, then melted.
And Houston has beaches right in its downtown right?

Chicago has 26 miles of lakefront and beaches within the city proper. Much much more convenient than getting in the car and driving an hour to Galveston.
I never suggest there was a beach in downtown Chicago; I was responding off what Grapico put. I appreciate you trying to check me, but check the thread before you attempt to check me.

Another thing is; I've put MANY times I've never been to Chicago but wish to visit. You aren't revealing anything new.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:00 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
And you obviosuly didn't read what was posted earlier:

I never suggest there was a beach in downtown Chicago; I was responding off what Grapico put. I appreciate you trying to check me, but check the thread before you attempt to check me.

Another thing is; I've put MANY times I've never been to Chicago but wish to visit. You aren't revealing anything new.
Yet you're able to make incorrect and misleading statements about Chicago.

You were reaching, and that's pretty much it. Just admit it and we're all good and happy. I think we should probably just keep on harping on you for the sheer joy of it.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yet you're able to make incorrect and misleading statements about Chicago.

You were reaching, and that's pretty much it. Just admit it and we're all good and happy. I think we should probably just keep on harping on you for the sheer joy of it.
What was i incorrect about and exactly how was I reaching???

Do what you feel. If your life is just that pathetic that you feel the need to cyber bully someone than please do so.

I'd be jealous of my greatness too!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
I got that, but that was never what the discussion was about.

Grapico used the beaches being located near downtown as a selling point and I simply stated that I don't want to go downtown for beaches. I know Chicago has more beaches, but we were speaking specifically about the ones near the downtown area.
No I said from the original there were 26 miles of lakefront/beaches within the City. You just quoted me 2 posts above and only chose to bold one sentence...

Chicago def has more serene beaches too, it just isn't ocean.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

I really like this pic

lake michigan isn't exactly your run of the mill lake.

Last edited by Marka; 10-26-2013 at 12:12 AM..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
So your logic is that because Chicago is more urban it has more amenities? Can you find a Ferrari store in Houston despite it being less urban than Chicago? Dncr says noooo!

LMAO logic fail!
Someone with your IQ should have a quiet voice too

Last edited by Dncr; 01-05-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 10:22 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
No I said from the original there were 26 miles of lakefront/beaches within the City. You just quoted me 2 posts above and only chose to bold one sentence...

Chicago def has more serene beaches too, it just isn't ocean.

I really like this pic

lake michigan isn't exactly your run of the mill lake.
People can be pretty ignorant about the size of Lake Michigan. It's almost 120 miles wide and its widest point...

I don't even know why this debate is still going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City