U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 59 19.41%
Chicago 247 81.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 3,997,247 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Prepare for massive amounts of cockiness from Houstoners

U.S. Census Bureau Delivers Illinois' 2010 Census Population Totals, Including First Look at Race and Hispanic Origin Data for Legislative Redistricting - Press Releases: PR Newswire - SunHerald.com (http://www.sunherald.com/2011/02/15/2865474/us-census-bureau-delivers-illinois.html - broken link)
Chicago shrank by 200,000
Lol I know right?
*prepares*
Some are cocky, but most aren't. Everyone has a right to defend their city, and most times when someone from Houston posts something that comes off as bragging, its because its not. It's defending their city against the people who continuously discredit it.

Think back to the Philadelphia & Chicago thread, when you guys where in Houstonians shoes, now you cant say you enjoyed people bashing Chicago and when you tried to prove them wrong with facts they would come back like a pack of wild retards saying "inferiority complex". That wasn't fun, nor was it cool.

You guys shouldn't be doing the same thing they did to anyone's city either, I live in both and they're both great cities. Take it from me, right now I am at school in this horrid (For me) hippie city called Austin, I hate it here (love the city, hate the roads & hippies) and would go back home to either Chicago or Houston if I could. Be proud of where you live, its a blessing to live in the United States in general, many wish to live here and people pay premium prices to get here don't insult people like them by bashing our own (our own cities here in USA). Every city has problems, and I don't think any poster online is happy or delighted with Chicago's city populations, well besides one that I can think of.

On this website, cities # 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, & 11 take a major beating from people. Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Jose, & Detroit do take a lot of beating. Been to them all, and none are bad, they're different. This website has a general bias, it favors a certain region of the country more than the other 3.

Last edited by DANNYY; 02-15-2011 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: Tweak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:53 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,832 posts, read 18,409,895 times
Reputation: 6631
I actually prefer Chicago remain in 3rd place. I was disappointed with the results myself seeing that Chicago shrunk.

I'll start bragging when we pass up Dallas!

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 02-15-2011 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
 
Location: The City
18,512 posts, read 14,507,493 times
Reputation: 5272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
Some are cocky, but most aren't. Everyone has a right to defend their city, and most times when someone from Houston posts something that comes off as bragging, its because its not. It's defending their city against the people who continuously discredit it.

Think back to the Philadelphia & Chicago thread, when you guys where in Houstonians shoes, now you cant say you enjoyed people bashing Chicago and when you tried to prove them wrong with facts they would come back like a pack of wild retards saying "inferiority complex". That wasn't fun, nor was it cool.

You guys shouldn't be doing the same thing they did to anyone's city either, I live in both and they're both great cities. Take it from me, right now I am at school in this horrid (For me) hippie city called Austin, I hate it here (love the city, hate the roads & hippies) and would go back home to either Chicago or Houston if I could. Be proud of where you live, its a blessing to live in the United States in general, many wish to live here and people pay premium prices to get here don't insult people like them by bashing our own (our own cities here in USA). Every city has problems, and I don't think any poster online is happy or delighted with Chicago's city populations, well besides one that I can think of.

On this website, cities # 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, & 11 take a major beating from people. Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Jose, & Detroit do take a lot of beating. Been to them all, and none are bad, they're different. This website has a general bias, it favors a certain region of the country more than the other 3.

Yeah well 1 and 6 are pretty much all that matters

On a serious note - To me Chicago feels more vital than it has in the 15 years i have known it. I am surprised by the results and will be interested to see all the factors that led to this, but either way the Chicago i love is unchanged in my opion whether it increased or decreased by 200k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 3,997,247 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah well 1 and 6 are pretty much all that matters
Eh anything beats being a city that is forgotten I suppose like # 5. There aren't really many threads on # 5 from what I have seen.

# 1 & 6 are both nice places all places are distinct, besides hippie cities (to me), but # 1 is easily the only place in the country that never has to worry about anyone coming close to rivaling it overall. Not much many cities can do to possibly catch up to it this century. # 1 has its seat in the country for good it seems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On a serious note - To me Chicago feels more vital than it has in the 15 years i have known it. I am surprised by the results and will be interested to see all the factors that led to this, but either way the Chicago i love is unchanged in my opion whether it increased or decreased by 200k
Chicago has come a long way, significant crime reduction, more involvement in the global economy, more media coverage, and its headed in the right way, in my opinion.

What I just don't understand how they reported 200,000 loss, how is that possible that it flew over their heads that much? Like I can understand up to 50,000 max, being the max for them to have gone unnoticed. But how can a city lose 200,000 for a decade but the US Census for the first time ever figures it out in the week the release the official count to the public.

Viewing ACS estimates which given by the US Census from 2004 all the way up to 2009 which they added just 4 months ago, they over counted the place. To me, this agency is either very inefficient or very treacherous with their methodology. There is no way that they can report it was a surprise. It makes our Census division look like the ones in former British colonies around the world, where some countries have only had 2 census's since becoming country's.

What I don't understand is, it would be like getting all A's and when the final report comes out the overall grade is a F. That's how shockingly weird it is, 2009 estimates at 2.83 Million and official 2010 Census numbers at 2.69 Million. That's not even logical coming from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 PM
 
464 posts, read 659,945 times
Reputation: 330
Houston 2.32 million (Census 2010)
Chicago 2.67 million (Census 2010)
I predict in less than five (5) years Houston will have more people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Austin, TX/Chicago, IL/Houston, TX/Washington, DC
10,180 posts, read 3,997,247 times
Reputation: 4047
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
Houston 2.32 million (Census 2010)
Chicago 2.67 million (Census 2010)
I predict in less than five (5) years Houston will have more people.
That's not possible.

A city cant get 300,000 people in 5 years, that's just not possible at this point in time for a city like Houston. It took 10 years to get that without expanding boundaries, its just not likely at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 12:49 PM
 
118 posts, read 81,336 times
Reputation: 59
I lived in both city. IMO, Chicago is a better place to visit and Houston is a better place to live. Chicago have somewhat more amenities but cost of living is much higher. Per capital income are about the same (no state income tax in Texas), you can stretch your dollar farther in Houston. Gas, food, rent & house are much cheaper down here. I have much more saved up living here than Chicago. Extra money to dine out, travel the world and visit Chicago many times a year. Between Chicago cold winter and Houston hot humid summer, I take Houston humidity. Two months out of the year when its really hot in the afternoon is much better than shoveling snow and de-icing the car every winter morning. Chicago is nicer in the summer but Houston has more year round activities. Both city have great food: itailian beef at Portellos, gyros in Greektown and taste of Chicago in July. Houston have great Vietnamese food, authentic Mexican, Middle eastern food, Cajun and plenty of seafood. For a city that is 2/3 the size of Chicagoland, its not far behind in amenities. Houston metro is growing at 26% and will catch up to Chicago in few decades. I'm enjoying Houston now while its still affordable. Chicago is fun and Houston is more practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 01:43 PM
 
13,154 posts, read 12,217,801 times
Reputation: 3323
Definitely Chicago. But like the previous poster said, Houston is on the come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,066 posts, read 2,940,531 times
Reputation: 1897
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamb View Post
I lived in both city. IMO, Chicago is a better place to visit and Houston is a better place to live. Chicago have somewhat more amenities but cost of living is much higher. Per capital income are about the same (no state income tax in Texas), you can stretch your dollar farther in Houston. Gas, food, rent & house are much cheaper down here. I have much more saved up living here than Chicago. Extra money to dine out, travel the world and visit Chicago many times a year. Between Chicago cold winter and Houston hot humid summer, I take Houston humidity. Two months out of the year when its really hot in the afternoon is much better than shoveling snow and de-icing the car every winter morning. Chicago is nicer in the summer but Houston has more year round activities. Both city have great food: itailian beef at Portellos, gyros in Greektown and taste of Chicago in July. Houston have great Vietnamese food, authentic Mexican, Middle eastern food, Cajun and plenty of seafood. For a city that is 2/3 the size of Chicagoland, its not far behind in amenities. Houston metro is growing at 26% and will catch up to Chicago in few decades. I'm enjoying Houston now while its still affordable. Chicago is fun and Houston is more practical.
You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2011, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,081 posts, read 13,572,641 times
Reputation: 4810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
You get what you pay for.
Meaning? I don't think what he's saying is pretty out of the ordinary. Houston isn't the town many think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top