U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 59 19.41%
Chicago 247 81.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM

10,625 posts, read 8,063,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
And are you saying spot resembling hip hop features people with no class.
That's what it smells like. Funny because Bentleys are often parked outside of these low class establishments.. Darn hoodlums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 03:32 PM

179 posts, read 60,685 times
If you mean the quality of amenities in addition to quantity, Chicago obviously blows Houston out of the water - it's a much more urban city, and much larger to boot.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,926,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I am considering moving from Houston to Chicago. I don't feel like Houston is the place for me. These are the things that I don't like.
1. Houston has a large population but feels like a lot of suburbs around some tall buildings that are abandoned at night. I would really like to be in a dense, urban area that feels like it has some life to it.
2. Houston is a city of haves and have nots. There are a lot of establishments that cater to lower class people (cantinas, hip hop clubs) and the d-bag sweater vest Chad and Brittany crowd. I like people who can think for themselves and kind of fit into a down to earth middle-class crowd.
3. Houston has a sub par music scene. You can go out and hear hip hop and country. This is not a good city for rock. Does Chicago have a rock scene at all? I know Chicago is famous for blues. That is cool for me because I am from Mississippi.
4. I like greasy mom and pop type restaurants. Houston is mostly a city of chains. I hate chains. Although Houston does have some pretty tasty street food. i will give credit where credit is due.
5. Houston can get a little boring. Here there is pretty much mall shopping. That seems to be what people do for fun. I enjoy festivals, parks, etc.

Might Chicago be a better fit for me? Thanks in advance.
You may ruffle some feathers with your post, but I agree with most of it. After many years of living in Houston, we left for a denser, more urban city for some of the same reasons. This does not mean Houston is a bad place to live - it has an outstanding cultural scene, enjoying margaritas and chips outside in January is pretty cool, and the restaurants are better inside the loop that I feel you give them credit for. Based on your comments, however, I think you realize it not the best fit for you. I suspect you will be much happier in Chicago.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:29 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,277,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's what it smells like. Funny because Bentleys are often parked outside of these low class establishments.. Darn hoodlums.
Sorry. Money doesn't buy class. It can buy you all the tacky cars you want, but you still can't buy stlye. How many Bentley driving hoodlums do you see make the news because they shot somebody, got shot, were making drug deals, got caught with guns, etc.?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,277,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You may ruffle some feathers with your post, but I agree with most of it. After many years of living in Houston, we left for a denser, more urban city for some of the same reasons. This does not mean Houston is a bad place to live - it has an outstanding cultural scene, enjoying margaritas and chips outside in January is pretty cool, and the restaurants are better inside the loop that I feel you give them credit for. Based on your comments, however, I think you realize it not the best fit for you. I suspect you will be much happier in Chicago.
I don't hate Houston, but I think there are better places out there for me. The winter can be awesome, but we had to run the air today and couldn't go outside tonight because the mosquitos are terrible.

There are some decent restaurants in the loop, but I am not in love with the food scene here like most people are. I don't like fine dining, Texas bbq, or Tex Mex. I will give props to the authentic Mexican street food here. It is incredible. Are there taco trucks in Chicago?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,260,211 times
Dave, can I come help you pack your bags?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,174,873 times
Quote:
I don't hate Houston, but I think there are better places out there for me. The winter can be awesome, but we had to run the air today and couldn't go outside tonight because the mosquitos are terrible.

There are some decent restaurants in the loop, but I am not in love with the food scene here like most people are. I don't like fine dining, Texas bbq, or Tex Mex. I will give props to the authentic Mexican street food here. It is incredible. Are there taco trucks in Chicago?
If you don't like fine dining, BBQ or Tex Mex then yeah, that sucks for you

If there are any they won't be on the same level - Chicago laws dictate that food cannot be cooked on-board the trucks, so the food trucks can only 'assemble' previously cooked ingredients in the truck and sell them. Houston's food truck laws aren't exactly lax but the Chicago scene can't compare.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,282,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Dave, can I come help you pack your bags?
I will help. Heck I will pay for the Uhaul if he agrees to take sunderpig and Steve/Wysiwig with him

Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 PM

8,937 posts, read 5,260,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I will help. Heck I will pay for the Uhaul if he agrees to take sunderpig and Steve/Wysiwig with him
...anything to quit the whining from the people who never leave their apartments, yet are "experts" on Houston.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:29 PM
bu2

1,256 posts, read 489,013 times
Quote:
You can't get much worse than Galveston. You can't (or shouldn't) get in the water. The sand is like a brown mud. There are dudes walking around smoking weed. I don't really see any redeeming quality to Galveston at all. I did however live in the Destin, FL area so perhaps I am a bit critical.

Well you obviously haven't been to Lake Michigan. It can get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City