U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 59 19.41%
Chicago 247 81.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2012, 05:00 PM

5,292 posts, read 8,691,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Galveston has nasty beaches, be they East Beach, West Beach or right off the trashy Seawall.
Which is why Coastal Living Magazine did one of their Idea Homes there? And why it's considered a top ten Spring Break spot?

The beaches aren't that bad, you're still exaggerating.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 05:36 PM

3,844 posts, read 2,992,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Which is why Coastal Living Magazine did one of their Idea Homes there? And why it's considered a top ten Spring Break spot?

The beaches aren't that bad, you're still exaggerating.
I'm not sure why you have trouble believing I don't care for Galveston's beaches. Perhaps if it was all I knew, I might feel differently but I grew up up near very nice beaches with blue water, soft sand, and resort towns with lots of charm. It's hardly exaggerating if I personally find the views across murky water of offshore rigs spilling occasional tar balls onto the hard-paked beaches fairly unappealing. I made many weekend trips to Galveston when I lived in Houston, but it was to explore the town. I did not spend time on the beaches. I'm glad you enjoy them, however, and hope you have a great summer.

All sizes | dirty galveston | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10060879@N06/799839721/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Tar Balls on Galveston Beaches | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepwaterhorizonresponse/4769405508/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Old 03-01-2012, 07:03 PM

819 posts, read 1,122,569 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you have trouble believing I don't care for Galveston's beaches. Perhaps if it was all I knew, I might feel differently but I grew up up near very nice beaches with blue water, soft sand, and resort towns with lots of charm. It's hardly exaggerating if I personally find the views across murky water of offshore rigs spilling occasional tar balls onto the hard-paked beaches fairly unappealing. I made many weekend trips to Galveston when I lived in Houston, but it was to explore the town. I did not spend time on the beaches. I'm glad you enjoy them, however, and hope you have a great summer.

All sizes | dirty galveston | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10060879@N06/799839721/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

All sizes | Tar Balls on Galveston Beaches | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepwaterhorizonresponse/4769405508/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

I grew up in Clearwater Beach, around Dunedin Beach and all the other beautiful beaches and waterways of Pinellas County.

But you know what? Galveston has a unique charm unto itself that is hard to match. The electric vibe at night...something to it.

I once had a unique commune with certain wildlife on a Galveston pier that I have never had in SoCal or Florida. Only within Galveston's weird but wonderful energy is where this could happen.

Houston's nearby waterside areas have unique offerings that Chicago's lakeside don't really match. Houston and its metro have verything from bayou walks, bawdy clapboard al fresco villas, to open magificent sea wall drives to iron front Strand settings. Chicago's Navy Pier doesn't have quite the colorful counterpart like the rowdy Kemah Lighthouse District (bad ass slider burgers and b--bs at Zone 504! And those patio decks...), in my view.

Houston may not have the open water immediately next to it...but we make up for it for the myriad goodies which are fairly close in the bayside towns and in Galveston.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM

1,547 posts, read 1,298,491 times
While I don't like the beach, I was pleasantly suprised by Galveston the town. I won't go to the beach, but I will go down to The Strand and kill a Saturday afternoon.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:14 AM

3,030 posts, read 5,564,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
While I don't like the beach, I was pleasantly suprised by Galveston the town. I won't go to the beach, but I will go down to The Strand and kill a Saturday afternoon.
If not for the hurricanes scaring people away, it would be Texas' version of Santa Monica.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 AM

18,901 posts, read 15,430,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
If not for the hurricanes scaring people away, it would be Texas' version of Santa Monica.

I must have missed this in the comparison when I was there

Though personally I do like being closer to the Ocean, something Houston does provide. The lake in Chicago is pretty awesome as well; though to me being that far from the ocean is the biggest downside IMHO to Chicago; outside of that just love the city.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:24 AM

4,378 posts, read 4,933,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I must have missed this in the comparison when I was there

Though personally I do like being closer to the Ocean, something Houston does provide. The lake in Chicago is pretty awesome as well; though to me being that far from the ocean is the biggest downside IMHO to Chicago; outside of that just love the city.
What ocean is near Houston?

Old 03-02-2012, 07:26 AM

3,724 posts, read 3,058,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
What ocean is near Houston?
The Gulf of Mexico is pertty much the ocean.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 AM

5,292 posts, read 8,691,300 times
Quote:
It's fine if you don't care for them, but sounds like you didn't have much experience with them either (if you went to the town but avoided the beaches.) So how do you really know? And by the way, on my beach trips there I don't remember seeing offshore rigs (visible from shore anyway) and tarballs. This is more an issue of the past (1980's) that has since improved. Today you'll see more cruise ships than rigs.

Sure they could be better (definitely not "all I know", as we usually do our summer beach vacations in the FL panhandle or Caribbean) but we especially love the Galveston beaches in the off-seasons of fall and winter when the crowds are gone. Galveston Beach pictures

Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM

8,962 posts, read 12,991,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizz0rd View Post
The beaches in Chicago are enjoyable and a fun time to go out, there were a lot of people there when I went. The layout within convenient areas of the city is the trump card though. When so many residents can just walk out to the beach is great. That being said, I don't think they are great beaches in terms of the actual quality, though most of my beach experience is in CA, FL and Puerto Rico. I have also seen the beach there in the winter which forms this giant Sand/Ice dune in the shape of waves and way out into the water. I've never seen anything quite like it. I walked a bit out there but most of it did not look safe.
Lake Michigan is strange because it's SUCH a different beast between summer and winter. Fall and winter bring on hard eastern winds that drive large waves. They pull people off the water and arrest some trying to surf in Chicago. It looks like it'd be a unique thing to do, but the lake waves aren't like ocean waves, and apparently are much less predictable and will pull you right down. A storm in October produced 24 foot waves on the lake.

Massive Waves From Lake Michigan Flood Parts Of Chicago | Fox News

Where that guy is standing is well over 10 feet above the normal water line.

Winter hits and the wave action will freeze over. Sometimes the lake freezes up to 3-5 miles out from shore (on very cold years). I think once in the 1970's the entire 50+ miles across to Michigan was frozen.

It makes for some cool scenes, but yes, it's like a honeycomb of ice and is not really safe to be walking on. You could easily break through here and there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City