U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 59 19.34%
Chicago 248 81.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Center City
3,980 posts, read 3,310,013 times
Reputation: 5074

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
It's fine if you don't care for them, but sounds like you didn't have much experience with them either (if you went to the town but avoided the beaches.) So how do you really know? And by the way, on my beach trips there I don't remember seeing offshore rigs (visible from shore anyway) and tarballs. This is more an issue of the past (1980's) that has since improved.
LOL. The fact that you can't see rigs off shore or haven't seen tar balls makes me wonder if you have been to the beach at Galveston? You say it's fine if I don't care for them, yet seem to feel the only reason I don't is because I really haven't experienced them. Living 26 years in Houston, yes, I spent a lot of time in Galveston, including a couple of weekends with friends at a house on West Beach. No, however, I did not go into the tepid and murky water:

Woman dies from flesh-eating bacteria (http://galvestondailynews.com/story/174770/ - broken link)
Flesh-eating bacteria kills man after Galveston Bay trip - San Antonio Express-News
Man Infected With Flesh Eating Bacteria While Swimming In The Sea Off Texas
Report: Houston man's death linked to flesh-eating bacteria | khou.com Houston
Texan infected with flesh-eating bacteria while swimming - [domain blocked due to spam]

For all I know, you find the beaches of Galveston as inviting as those of Florida or Hawaii. Feel free. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I am the first person you've met that isn't enamored with Galveston, however. If so: Welcome to the world of different opinions.

If you want to continue to bicker over the virtues of Galveston's beach scene, perhaps you'll find some other posters willing to engage with you. I've said what I have to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM
 
Location: The land of sugar... previously Houston and Austin
5,345 posts, read 9,116,771 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
LOL. The fact that you can't see rigs off shore or haven't seen tar balls makes me wonder if you have been to the beach at Galveston?
It's rather presumptuous of you to say I haven't been just because you don't like what I said. I've been living in Houston or surrounding area for over a decade now and we go to Galveston several times a year. And I guess you didn't bother to click the pictures link in my last post to see that those were MY own pictures I took, not something I googled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You say it's fine if I don't care for them, yet seem to feel the only reason I don't is because I really haven't experienced them.
Maybe that's because in a previous post you said you went only to the town, not the beaches, because of your preconceptions about them? I'm only basically repeating what you said yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Living 26 years in Houston, yes, I spent a lot of time in Galveston, including a couple of weekends with friends at a house on West Beach.
A couple of weekends, who knows how long ago. Okay! So you have a tiny bit of experience.

As far as the bacteria news story you found, that could happen almost anywhere. However, it sure is strange that if Galveston is as bad as you claim it to be, Coastal Living Magazine builds a home there, it gets on top 10 lists, and has been booming in beach-front development the last several years. Don't kill the messenger.

www.texasbeachwatch.com
Hmm, sure is strange the Galveston beaches have some of the lowest levels of bacteria on the map!

Most Polluted Beaches in the US - AOL Travel News
Wow, nothing in Texas!

'Flesh-eating' bacteria infections rare (http://galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=fd1c4c3dfe3a83a2 - broken link)
"The vibrio vulnificus bacterium, which is related to the one that causes cholera, exists in all seawater."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
For all I know, you find the beaches of Galveston as inviting as those of Florida or Hawaii. Feel free. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I am the first person you've met that isn't enamored with Galveston, however. If so: Welcome to the world of different opinions.
I never said such a thing. I said you were exaggerating your descriptions, which you were.

And if you're going to make such statements, maybe you need to actually have something to back them up. Your admitted lack of experience, especially recent experience, doesn't help your assertions.

And you obviously fail to realize that things change; oil rigs aren't permanent, sources of pollution can be cleaned up (and have), things can improve from decades ago. You just won't acknowledge any of this for some reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2012, 09:29 PM
 
1 posts, read 779 times
Reputation: 19
Living in Chicago for 22 years and not in Houston. I would say Chicago has alot to offer and very diverse. But it has gotten very expensive to live in now. Suburbs included. Houston is much better for recent college grads that are just getting their life started. Houston economy is much better compared to Chicago right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,809 times
Reputation: 16
I currently live in Houston but I am from the Chicago land and I must say, Chicago by far is the best city! I expected more similarities beings Chicago is the 3rd largest city and Houston the 4th, however, they are extremely opposite! Chicago has more nightlife, more arts and entertainment, its more updated and modern, more transit, better museums, better zoo's, better everything! Houston is very spread out which is why you will not see taxi's everywhere and Houston looks very run-down and outdated. Three positives are the weather is better and the people are nicer and it's cheaper to live here. In comparing the two cities, there is not much to compare, Houston is very lame and the people here are very, very slow and behind the rest of the times. But then again, maybe thats why they are so nice and is where the term "southern hospitality" comes from. They hate "northerners" and think anybody living North of Tx is a yankee. I love educating them on what a "yankee" really is. Houston is a better city to raise a family but I miss Chicago TERRIBLY and will be moving after graduation. Im so BORED here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 AM
 
3 posts, read 1,809 times
Reputation: 16
Galveston Beaches are very dirty and since they got hit with Hurricane Ike, the city itself is very rundown and not a pretty sight. It may be improving but not the greatest beaches at all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
13,475 posts, read 14,986,941 times
Reputation: 5078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendyjd View Post
I currently live in Houston but I am from the Chicago land and I must say, Chicago by far is the best city! I expected more similarities beings Chicago is the 3rd largest city and Houston the 4th, however, they are extremely opposite! Chicago has more nightlife, more arts and entertainment, its more updated and modern, more transit, better museums, better zoo's, better everything! Houston is very spread out which is why you will not see taxi's everywhere and Houston looks very run-down and outdated. Three positives are the weather is better and the people are nicer and it's cheaper to live here. In comparing the two cities, there is not much to compare, Houston is very lame and the people here are very, very slow and behind the rest of the times. But then again, maybe thats why they are so nice and is where the term "southern hospitality" comes from. They hate "northerners" and think anybody living North of Tx is a yankee. I love educating them on what a "yankee" really is. Houston is a better city to raise a family but I miss Chicago TERRIBLY and will be moving after graduation. Im so BORED here!!
Eh. I think you're just homesick. But I disagree with the bold. Houston is the newer city in development than Chicago. It is just as modern if not more than Chicago IMO. Chicago is better on the others though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
 
1,732 posts, read 2,217,221 times
Reputation: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Anyone who disagrees with that is obviously suffering from Htownlove Syndrome.
Ha ha. Spot on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2012, 05:26 PM
 
819 posts, read 1,185,477 times
Reputation: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendyjd View Post
I currently live in Houston but I am from the Chicago land and I must say, Chicago by far is the best city! I expected more similarities beings Chicago is the 3rd largest city and Houston the 4th, however, they are extremely opposite! Chicago has more nightlife, more arts and entertainment, its more updated and modern, more transit, better museums, better zoo's, better everything! Houston is very spread out which is why you will not see taxi's everywhere and Houston looks very run-down and outdated. Three positives are the weather is better and the people are nicer and it's cheaper to live here. In comparing the two cities, there is not much to compare, Houston is very lame and the people here are very, very slow and behind the rest of the times. But then again, maybe thats why they are so nice and is where the term "southern hospitality" comes from. They hate "northerners" and think anybody living North of Tx is a yankee. I love educating them on what a "yankee" really is. Houston is a better city to raise a family but I miss Chicago TERRIBLY and will be moving after graduation. Im so BORED here!!
Houston offers a better balance of life than Chicago. I'm a native of the Chicagoland area too.

It's all relative. Chicago pales next to London and New York in terms of "culture." So what if Chicago is superior to Houston on that term. Chicago is way older and more populated, you know.

Still, compared to most other cities around, Houston is actually quite rich on nightlife variety and high-powered culture.

"More up-dated and modern?" I hate that Chicago is extremely dirty and run-down in huge sections. Houston has a great spread of modern and dynamic multiple skylines. Not sure what you mean by "more up-dated and modern."

Houston always has the modern outlook, open to new things. I've always felt that Chicago is stuck in its ways. Those old-style insular neighborhoods...Houston is a mixed social checkerboard in comparison.

I've experienced some raw urbanity in other places...and I certainly appreciate what I have here in Houston. I wouldn't trade H-town for Chi-town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,278 posts, read 1,056,924 times
Reputation: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendyjd View Post
I currently live in Houston but I am from the Chicago land and I must say, Chicago by far is the best city! I expected more similarities beings Chicago is the 3rd largest city and Houston the 4th, however, they are extremely opposite! Chicago has more nightlife, more arts and entertainment, its more updated and modern, more transit, better museums, better zoo's, better everything! Houston is very spread out which is why you will not see taxi's everywhere and Houston looks very run-down and outdated. Three positives are the weather is better and the people are nicer and it's cheaper to live here. In comparing the two cities, there is not much to compare, Houston is very lame and the people here are very, very slow and behind the rest of the times. But then again, maybe thats why they are so nice and is where the term "southern hospitality" comes from. They hate "northerners" and think anybody living North of Tx is a yankee. I love educating them on what a "yankee" really is. Houston is a better city to raise a family but I miss Chicago TERRIBLY and will be moving after graduation. Im so BORED here!!
Your more likely home sick which I can understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2012, 11:05 AM
 
5,050 posts, read 5,882,070 times
Reputation: 3220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendyjd View Post
I currently live in Houston but I am from the Chicago land and I must say, Chicago by far is the best city! I expected more similarities beings Chicago is the 3rd largest city and Houston the 4th, however, they are extremely opposite! Chicago has more nightlife, more arts and entertainment, its more updated and modern, more transit, better museums, better zoo's, better everything! Houston is very spread out which is why you will not see taxi's everywhere and Houston looks very run-down and outdated. Three positives are the weather is better and the people are nicer and it's cheaper to live here. In comparing the two cities, there is not much to compare, Houston is very lame and the people here are very, very slow and behind the rest of the times. But then again, maybe thats why they are so nice and is where the term "southern hospitality" comes from. They hate "northerners" and think anybody living North of Tx is a yankee. I love educating them on what a "yankee" really is. Houston is a better city to raise a family but I miss Chicago TERRIBLY and will be moving after graduation. Im so BORED here!!
While I understand your preference of Chicago over Houston, I am curious about a couple points.

Sure, Chicago has a huge, dense core with lots of activity concentrated in a small area, in a way that is only equivalent in New York, San Francisco, maybe Boston, etc. If you don't like spread out, then one would not like Houston for sure.

But I am curious about why you would say Houston looks very run-down and outdated, while Chicago is more updated and modern??

Houston was a rather small city 60 years ago (which is why you still have a lot of southernisms there, because it has only become cosmopolitan recently in history). But the city is mostly modern buildings, built since the 60s. You have mostly glass and still high rises, and apartment buildings are built since the 70s.

Chicago on the other hand, had a major real estate boom in the mid-90s to mid-2000s, but for the most part, much of the city is vintage buildings, which need constant upkeep, remnants of an industrial corridor along Elston, and all the other diagonal roads., and these vintage buildings always look rundown, even when clean on the back side which you see on the El. Rickety wooden balconies, etc.

Houston has a more suburban aesthetic, and although that may not be what people prefer, a suburban aesthetic is often the opposite of being run-down and outdated. Although this is not always the case.

Obviously Chicago has more of everything, but because Houston is spread out, maybe you just haven't explored it all? Have you been to neighborhoods like Montrose? Rice Village? Houston Heights? etc.

And because Chicago is more centralized and concentrated, you might be unaware, that some of the neighborhoods on the far corners of the city can be suprisingly conservative and set in their way.

And BTW: I'm not sure if the weather is really better in Houston. Summers are brutal.

Chicago is a way better city for tourists, and Houston is not really on the top of my lists of cities, but when I was there, I was impressed, and I am from the Chicago suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top