U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 59 19.34%
Chicago 248 81.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:19 PM

4,028 posts, read 4,227,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
world renowned doesn't mean better.. beyond all the international cuisines Houston has, Houston makes a strong case for its combination of excellent tex-mex, bbq, and cajun cuisines... so I disagree that Chicago food is way better. I think they are about equal... that's just me.
This is a new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM

2,113 posts, read 3,177,870 times
This isn't even a competition. Houston has a lot to offer, for sure. It has basically everything that Chicago has on a smaller to much smaller level. Chicago has just about every US and global business (and more F500 companies), one of only 2 or 3 cities in the country with Michelin 3 star restaurants, every hotel and some famous individual hotels, every chain store and tons of stores with only 1 or 2 other locations in the states, *2* top 20 universities, "big 5" orchestra, world renowned parks, world class museums and institutes, one of the most extensive transit systems, proper utilization of the waterfront, and world class entertainment/attractions/sports teams, etc.

Houston has all of this on a much smaller scale, and I would go out on a limb and say Chicago has basically developed to most of its potential and Houston is just getting going, but it's still so far behind.

A better poll would be Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. I may even throw Seattle and Minneapolis in there.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:29 PM

276 posts, read 72,761 times
Houston, Texas......the country's second largest suburb!

Old 12-27-2010, 04:33 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,684,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Inc. View Post
Houston, Texas......the country's second largest suburb!
That's just plain mean.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM

12,395 posts, read 14,621,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No. They don't.

It appears lots of people are just speaking out of there ass and know nothing of Houston. Houston offers what Chicago does, but on a smaller scale. Houston is a newer developing city; Chicago is an older established city. When you compare the cultural offering and amenties of Chicagp to Houston; it's not a blow out like people think.

You want ethnic resturants? Got it. Musuems/Plays/Art? Got It. Diversity? Got It. Great shopping? Got it. Urban living? Got it. and much more......
Most college cities fit that bill, they have orchestras, plays, museums, art galleries, ethnic restaurants and a diverse mix of students. Just look at some of them.. Clearly you guys are missing out on the difference in quality.

Urban living? Yeah ok. good one sneaking that in. again, clearly there are drastic differences with what people on here consider good and not.

Again what are these great highly touted places in Houston nobody seems to be able to answer? And how are they even comparable to the amenities in Chicago? I went off on a list of many of them in Chicago but still hear crickets and just talking points but no substance. Amenities aren't created equal you know. Just because you have a museum doesn't mean its a world cultural institution. Just because you have a few italian restaurants doesn't mean they are any good. Just b/c you have a few theater venues downtown doesn't mean you have world renowned acting troupes based in Houston. You might have a few ballets show up there in a year, but you don't have a ballet in residence like Joffrey Ballet. Your orchestra is not even close. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. The famous works at the Art Institute of Chicago blow away anything in Houston and probably the entire state of Texas.
Houston can compete in 2 things, economy and F500 companies. Thats it! If the economy was still in the 200billion mark like 7 years ago in Houston would this even be a discussion? I mean really... Houston is a new kid on the block. All these cultural institutions and amenities don't just pop up over night.

Just look at old San Francisco out there with fully developed amenities and cultural institutions, then you have San Jose with an arguably stronger economy and more F500 companies to itself. SF blows SJ away in terms of amenities and cultural institutions, it isn't even a 2nd thought.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:44 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It isn't a fair poll, Chicago has had 100s of years to develop its culture and was the 2nd biggest city in the U.S. for a century. Houston is just now getting off the track and almost doubled its economy in the last 20 years. While it might have better COL or QOL or more companies it is still lacking in the other things that come along with that after a long period of time. I think it is doing better than any other city in the south in those areas though.
Yeah I agree with this. Chicago is nearly a mega city now, when you have almost 10,000,000 people, you're bound to be in a city that packs a massive punch when it comes to amenities.

I was born in 1990, and I looked at the US Census information from then just right now. And Houston was only 3,731,131 in population for its Metropolitan Area and Chicago was 8,239,830 for its Metropolitan Area.

It's been 20 years exactly and Houston is tipping at 6.1 Million nearly at the present moment. It's come a very long way since those days.

I also agree that compared to its peers in the South, Houston looks good on its amenities offered in the city. Lets be real there is for sure nothing in Texas that can match the art scene in Houston, the Menil Collection is just the frosting on the cake, then imagine the fact that it has twice the size in art pieces in its collection.

Another thing, Houston has a designated museum district with 18 museums already in it and another two under construction. Nothing in Texas can match those museums, and that doesn't even include the ones spread across the metropolitan area.

Theater, enough said, there is nothing in Texas that can match that. Same for Symphony and Opera, nothing comes close to touching it in Texas. And as far as the South goes. Houston looks good against its competition both economically, and by amenities offered. It just lacks when it comes to national history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Chicago has better food/restaurants by far, a more fun urban experience, better nightlife, more museaums/attractions, better transit, more history and more hotels. If somebody is deciding whether to go to one or the other to visit, Chicago should be the choice. If the argument for Houston is beaches, Chicago has that too (in spades) and much closer to the city.
I went to the beach last week, guess what? I didn't have to deal with ice and freakin freezing weather on the beach. Lets get something straight, saying Chicago's beaches are utilized year round is possibly the most retarded claim anyone can ever make.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
But Chicago doesn't view Houston as its rival.
Oh really?

Then it better start. As we speak both cities are competing over the an aeronautics industry and school relocating from Los Angeles. And just like everything else they've competed with in the last several years, Houston ends up getting it, Houston probably will with this too.

As we speak, Houston is adding jobs that Chicago should have been getting. As we speak, Houston's economy is gaining at the rate of 22% compared to Chicago's 12.8%.

Chicago can view whatever whenever, frankly as a Chicagoan I will tell you that most Chicagoans don't care for anything outside of Chicagoland, and most Chicagoans think their city is the center of their world. As they should.

But be cautious, Houston is far closer to Chicago than Chicago knows about. Houston like I showed you yesterday in recent years has surpassed Chicago in wealth by per capita median income. Houston's GDP is in short shooting distance from Chicago's. Houston's corporate base is nearly the same size as and is becoming larger than Chicago's. And all this before even hitting 7 million people. What do you think? All this will stop?

We're talking about the same city that doubled its population in the last 20 years, where as Chicago added what Houston did from 2000-2007.

Think about this, if Houston is shooting distance from Chicago at the size its at right now, can you imagine Houston being even a little bit bigger? Yeah, thats what I thought.

I'm leaving it at this, I'm from both cities and still do presently live in both of them and I hate picking sides. So I'll leave how I feel, what I feel, and everything else at this. I'm not going to get into specifics on what one lacks and another has. Truth me told, people can live life prosperously anywhere and everywhere they live, but lets get real, we're talking about two places that are Top 10 largest in the country. You have to be a mentally retarded motherf***er to find everything lacking in one compared to another.

With that said, Chicago offers more in variety of amenities Houston simply does not yet, and as it should. The place is like nearly 3.8 Million larger than Houston in population.

Old 12-27-2010, 04:51 PM

819 posts, read 1,163,498 times
While it is true Chicago provides quite more in the way of classic or urban infrastructure, personally, I DON'T CARE.

Houston does seem a growing threat to the more established cities and their egos...thus the need to put Houston "in its place."

I love big cities but not all of us big city lovers are of the Uptight Anal Urbanist variety.

I've stayed in cities like Manila, which from a pure visceral urban thrill make Chicago a daycare in comparison and to London and Amsterdam which make Chicago look like a skinny kid in comparison, on an old school architectural and cultural level.

So what?

The fact is, Houston provides more in the way of neo-urbanism and a differing VARIETY of micro-environments. I'd rather have what Houston has. Visually, Chicago or any of those old stiff cities can't really match Houston in the variety department.

I like the fact that while no one point of Houston is over-crowded or "dense", I like the distribution of micro-environments.

Do the differing sidewalk entertainment environments of Chicagoland truly have the different and readily apparent visual contrast of Houston's? We in the greater Houston area have a multitude and range of entertainment areas in so MANY different settings.

(I mean, what's really WORTHWHILE contrast in Chicagoland? The lovely forests of Barrington on the outside? The Navy Pier sticking out into the Lake? My hometown of Gary, IN?)

Houston looks like it has a more varied and colorful metro environment to me. I wouldn't want to live in an old style metro where the sidewalks and "density" all look too similar.

New and old, everything from traditional urban to funky cottages to restored Victorian establishments to low-rise entertainment centers to neo-urban Uptown environments, whether near the grand forest, the open sea or the bayou central. Houston's got a lot of different WORTHWHILE micro-worlds contained within its greater area:
[i]
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/waterway-behind-goose.jpg (broken link)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/market20street.jpg (broken link)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/Houston_1.jpg (broken link)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/5023038331_942e15bdc1_z.jpg (broken link)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/aboutustemp.jpg (broken link)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/1552955184_c08576b378_b.jpg (broken link)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/2_108961_The_Woodlands_Waterway.jpg (broken link)

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc103/worldlyman_photos/HOUSTON/Aerial20Woodlands20Waterway.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-27-2010 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: too many photos in post, some users have dial-up

Old 12-27-2010, 04:57 PM

10,180 posts, read 4,957,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Urban living? Yeah ok. good one sneaking that in. again, clearly there are drastic differences with what people on here consider good and not.

Again what are these great highly touted places in Houston nobody seems to be able to answer?
Yeah I wish the Houston posters WOULD STOP saying Houston offers everything that Chicago does. Lets be frank, you have a city at 10 million and a city at 6 million.

WTF is wrong with some of you people where you think a city can match a mega city in terms of amenities with a drastic population difference. It's like saying Austin can match Houston in terms of overall amenities, and that isn't even close to being true.

Anyways to answer your question that you seem to have asked before, guessing because you mentioned that you haven't had a response to it before.

The areas are as following:
- Richmond near Colquitt, Greenway District
- Binz Area on Main Street
- Midtown (of course)
- Neartown (of course)
- Post Oak, nearly the entire stretch
- Westheimer, nearly the entire stretch
- Harwin, most of the stretch

Those are just some basic examples for now.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:00 PM

18,516 posts, read 16,177,233 times
Houston is up and coming at a very fast pace.

watch out Chicago, make room for us or get run over

Old 12-27-2010, 05:07 PM

818 posts, read 458,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Geez, is the place THAT bad?
No Houston isn't bad. Its just not an urban place, the entire city is suburban in nature like LA and ATL.

If you want to see the worst city TX has to offer then go to Dallas, never seen so many rednecks take pride in pick up trucks and redneck cowboys. Also the place is a barren wasteland, the greenery dies there and looks hideous in Dallas. Houston isn't any place I would live in right now until I have a family of my own, but its at least not in the deep south like Atlanta. It is catching up to other cities and offers a lot more than any other city in the south. If I had to move to the south it would be to Houston, its the real big city in Texas and is becoming the south's answer for a true big city. Atlanta isn't too bad, but its in the deep south and is more rural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City