Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 04:14 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times

Advertisements

I see so many threads about cities there, and comparisons.
But imagine a new US city which should be perfect ! How would be the perfect city economically, socially, landscape, localisation, weather, public transit, cars, racially...

The best of all worlds ? A piece of NYC and a piece of Houston ?
Tell me !

For me the perfect city would have:
-the monuments of DC (yeah it's really a beautiful city)
-the localisation of Miami
-the weather of San Diego
-the brains of San Jose/Seattle
-the job growth of Houston
-the population growth of Dallas-Fort Worth
-the size of Houston
-the public transit of New York City
-the ethnic diversity of Los Angeles
-racially diverse, without dominant race, as Houston
-the dynamic economy of Austin
-the economic diversity of Chicago
-the low crime rate of El Paso
-the girls of Miami
-Amenities (parks, gardens..) of New York Cities
-Low taxes and no zoning as Houston
-Socially open-minded as San Francisco

What about you ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 04:21 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Your parameters make it kinda tough to be happy in any city so if we are looking for a city that encompasses most of your needs just move to Savannah.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Your parameters make it kinda tough to be happy in any city so if we are looking for a city that encompasses most of your needs just move to Savannah.
It's a little bit the goal of the thread
Nothing is perfect (except me obviously ).But we don't have the same vision of a perfect city
Start yours brains guys, show me your imagination

Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 AM

23,451 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Well, at least you understand that what you seek doesn't exist.
My ideal would a sophisticated small city with a SoCal climate...Santa Barbara.
If you wanted to expand your search to the rest of the world, I would say Sydney, Australia.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:59 AM

469 posts, read 1,174,984 times
Austin, TX would be my guess, followed by Raleigh, NC

Old 12-19-2010, 10:23 AM

546 posts, read 1,176,583 times
I'd like a New York City that has the very strict smart growth and enviornmental controls that Portland, Oregon has for its surrounding suburbs that affects suburbs even 30-40 miles away (even though I admit they still aren't doing enough but its better than nothing) and maybe some of the liberalism of San Fransico. I'd also like lower taxes and more efficient spending but then I don't know what city does that well, if you count Texas cities but I don't think that'd count because you still need taxes to make cities good but just not graft or wasteful spending that doesn't get the job done. I'd also put a Chicago right next to this New York City on an island conneted to Staten Island and has a bridge into Brooklyn. That'd be a perfect city. I'd also want all the entrepreneurers of all compatible industries that many Texas cities have, all the famous people from Hollywood (at least having second homes there and living there at least 33% of the year), and a very strong high tech growth center that Silicon Valley has in this city.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 AM

23 posts, read 30,608 times
Any city that doesn't begin with an "N", "P", or "S"

Old 12-19-2010, 12:23 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,356,425 times
LOL, Savannah is the opposite of mine in terms of "perfect" city. Just me though.

To me, Seattle fits a lot of my criteria:
- good looking girls who don't try to wear makeup till they look like dolls (though by and large they aren't hot, but I can't complain, I met my wife here, and there's lots of variety here)
- high-tech and brainy populace. I can't stand idiots.
- mild climate
- close to nature and TONS of things to do in it
- interesting and diverse base of things to do in the city not related to nature.
- people actually giving a **** about the place and trying to clean it up (except in the ID, ugh)
- people being mostly friendly and still saying "hi" ... happened in my neighborhood three times as I was out for a walk

the only things I would change about hte city are:
- the anti-car mayor. He declared the "era of the highway was over" and has enacted policies to ensure roads and highways are neglected and put funding to immediately put in "express bus" routes and light rail. That's all fine and good, BUT MAKE IT FREAKING ACCESSIBLE AND MAKE SENSE! BUILD THE INFRASTRUCTURE FIRST!
- again, make the mayor have balls and the power to back it up. Chicago is the best example of this (minus corruption ideally). Chicago may have favoritism, cronyism, and corruption, but stuff gets done. NOTHING gets done in Seattle without about 100 interest groups suing, the mayor or council arguing over petty differences, or when stuff actually gets done, it takes 10000 years for an "environmental study" to get done. (The flip side of this is government doesn't screw up as much since they're too busy arguing and Seattle has awesome parks and green living).

Old 12-19-2010, 12:31 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,335 times
Once again you prove your lack of knowledge of our country.

LA is not ethnically diverse at all. It is overwhelmingly Mexican.
El Paso only has low crime because of the ridiculously high crime rate in neighboring Juarez.

Oh, and you can't have the public transit and parks of NYC if you want the low taxes and no zoning of Houston. Or to translate into your native tongue: You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Or to translate into your native tongue: You cannot have your cake and eat it too.
-LA is not ethnically diverse at all. It is overwhelmingly Mexican.

You're wrong, ridiculous cliché.Many mexicans it's right, but almost all ethnicities are represented in LA, it's very diverse ethnically.

El Paso only has low crime because of the ridiculously high crime rate in neighboring Juarez.

Not at all.Stop to find poor excuses.

Oh, and you can't have the public transit and parks of NYC if you want the low taxes and no zoning of Houston

Wrong again.Houston has low taxes and invests much money.Low taxes don't mean low revenues.If the economic growth is high like in Houston revenues are high too.

Apparently you're pretty ignorant about your own country and the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City