U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which has more famous landmarks (vote for one city and one metro):
L.A. city 62 43.06%
Chicago city 54 37.50%
L.A. metro 86 59.72%
Chicago metro 15 10.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2012, 04:21 PM

5,456 posts, read 2,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Thank you for conveying my views more accurately!!
I just don't think Angelenos give that much of a hoot about architecture because the weather's so damn great all the time. Nothing to be ashamed of.
Los Angeles is actually a highly regarded and influential city for modern residential/commercial architecture. Great schools and architects are based here, and countless innovations have began here. It is not "subpar" in this regard, and anyone who suggests otherwise is speaking mostly from ignorance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 04:07 PM

4,556 posts, read 8,192,444 times
Quote:
Thank you for conveying my views more accurately!!
I just don't think Angelenos give that much of a hoot about architecture because the weather's so damn great all the time. Nothing to be ashamed of.
This angeleno certainly does. I always marvel at LA's many architectural styles. It's quite amazing and unique.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM

8,930 posts, read 5,467,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
This angeleno certainly does. I always marvel at LA's many architectural styles. It's quite amazing and unique.
As do I.

Anyone who thinks LA has bad architecture is right, but exclusively focusing on the negative. It's probably about 50 / 50 - Half being incredible, awe-inspiring, incredibly unique architecture. Half being tacky and cheap looking. I find that most of the tacky stuff is surrounded by more tacky stuff, and the districts with the great architecture typically have a lot of it.

For the incredible, I would highly recommend checking out Pwright's images in the LA forum (sticky thread at top). I'm looking at you LakeShore

Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 PM

1,031 posts, read 510,618 times
It was unfair of me to say LA has bad architecture, but it was more that I misspoke. I do indeed think LA has great architecture (I also did mention I think its residential/suburban architecture could be the best). My criticism lies in an area that is being remedied quickly enough: consistency. Old World LA is beautiful: LA's city call is my favorite in the country. New LA is beautiful: Walt Disney music hall says it alone. LA's devotion to the automobile in the mid century onward, however, took it down a dark road in design and LA's MANY beautiful buildings are now being liberated from the low-rise jungle of two-level mini malls and other misfires created to better accommodate a large driving population.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:38 PM

4,556 posts, read 8,192,444 times
Quote:
It was unfair of me to say LA has bad architecture, but it was more that I misspoke. I do indeed think LA has great architecture (I also did mention I think its residential/suburban architecture could be the best). My criticism lies in an area that is being remedied quickly enough: consistency. Old World LA is beautiful: LA's city call is my favorite in the country. New LA is beautiful: Walt Disney music hall says it alone. LA's devotion to the automobile in the mid century onward, however, took it down a dark road in design and LA's MANY beautiful buildings are now being liberated from the low-rise jungle of two-level mini malls and other misfires created to better accommodate a large driving population.
But doesn't every city have some bad architecture in it?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM

1,031 posts, read 510,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
But doesn't every city have some bad architecture in it?
True...maybe its unfair to judge since LA's area is so massive and things are spread out that you have to single things out. That is LA's blessing and curse. Conversely, there's part of Chicago people talk about (mostly the nice areas of the band between I-90 and the Lake Shore are more condensed and the rest is garden variety midwestern sprawl that doesn't really account for much (as opposed to LA where there are things to do all over).

Old 08-08-2012, 12:38 AM

7 posts, read 2,814 times
Watching the intense bickering between Chicago and Los Angeles natives in here is very entertaining. As an LA native, I often look at Chicago and envy the things that they have. Chicago has greater walkability, incredibles skyscrapers everywhere, and a much more complete mass transit system than LA. It functions like an urban environment is supposed to, something I hope LA works towards. But on the other hand, there are plenty of things that LA has Chicago beat on. Better natural scenery/climate, greater mix of cultures, better recreation, and (believe it or not) the most extensive collection of untouched pre-war architecture of any US city.

That being said, I think it pretty much goes without saying that Los Angeles is a more famous city and has more famous landmarks. That doesn't make LA a better city, it's just the result of extra exposure due to being the center of the film and television industries in the US.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:51 AM

5,843 posts, read 3,373,620 times
Interesting question...
Chicago has the Willits Tower, Hancock Tower, the Loop, the El, Lake Michigan, Wrigley Field, Chicago Theater, and the Art Institute, while L.A. has the Hollywood sign, Griffith Observatory, U.S. Bank Tower, Santa Monica Pier & Venice Beach, Sunset Blvd, the LA Coliseum and Chavez Ravine, Mann's Theater, the Walk of Fame, Rodeo Drive, and the Watts Towers.
I'd probably give it to L.A. but both cities are iconic in their own right.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:13 AM

5,817 posts, read 5,894,107 times
getting back on point here because you can't change the mind of a person that ( like ) los angeles california better or ( chicago ill ole noise) better or( zoo york ) better. take a picture of the hollywood sign along with (chicago ill ole noise iconic wonders) to deepest darkest africa and ask the tribes men and women which picture they recognize the most h..o..l..l...y...w..o....o..d....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City